Is anyone else experiencing these issues?

I’ve recently updated my 2017 C-Max Energi with the syn3 updater hoping it would fix my problems and they have not.

Here’s a compiled list of my problems:

1. Won’t read CD-Text after a certain character limit, effectively cutting all my track titles in half.
  2. USB ports not working with some USB drives.
  3. Playing my podcasts from a USB drive cause high freq pops and crackles at random, hurts my ears.
  4. Very long delay in bluetooth audio.

Someone please help me! I’m at my wits end and at this point I want to drive the damn car into a river.

1. This is a known issue with Sync and has not been fixed. It is related to how the title is displayed.
  2. 2017 vehicle, 2021 software and old usb hub. Do you also have a message that the hub is not supported or did you replace the USB hub? Are the drives USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1?
  3. Does music from a USB drive do the same thing? What is the codec and sampling rate on your recordings? Popping like this is usually due to audio timing slip or loss of sample clock lock.
  4. Bluetooth audio is always delayed by nature, since it is transmitted and received by radios and all the necessary compression, etc. If your Bluetooth is delayed less than 1 second, this is quite normal. If you have several seconds of delay, this is not normal and I would look at your phone or phone pairing to Sync first. Sync uses a generic Bluetooth audio codec. The phone, however, may use a codec that is overly complicated for the connection.

After you updated your Sync, did you perform a master reset and re-pair your phone?

1 Like

Thank you so much for replying! I’ll answer your questions to the best of my ability.

Do you also have a message that the hub is not supported or did you replace the USB hub? Are the drives USB 2.0, 3.0, 3.1?
A message appears saying the usb drive is not supported. I’ve used both usb3 and 2, the usb 2.0’s all work but some usb 3.0 work and some don’t. The USB hub is the same one that was in there when I bought the car, just 2 USB ports.

Does music from a USB drive do the same thing?
I haven’t tried that yet, really only tried different podcasts. Of which all do the popping and crackling.

What is the codec and sampling rate on your recordings?
*Codec: MPEG Audio layer 1/2 (mpga)
Type: Audio
Channels: Stereo
Sample rate: 44100 Hz
Bits per sample: 32
Bitrate: 128 kb/s

I do have the knowledge on how to change the codec with audacity, if that is something that will help.*

If your Bluetooth is delayed less than 1 second, this is quite normal. If you have several seconds of delay, this is not normal and I would look at your phone or phone pairing to Sync first.
It is delayed by a few seconds. Is it possible to change the bluetooth codec so it is better suited for Sync?

After you updated your Sync, did you perform a master reset and re-pair your phone?
That I did not do.

Sucks that CD-Text hasn’t been fixed yet…

The newer usb hubs will support all usb formats. Normally the hub will need to be replaced to support CarPlay if the car is older than 2018.

The audio sampling should be ok, but I have seen issues with using 32 bit sampling with 44.1Khz. I would stay with 16 bit or change to 48Khz with 32 bit.

It seems there is lack of support by both Apple and Android about BT codecs. They both think that you should use the one they supply and all is fine. But then again, Ford has not seen fit to support advanced BT profiles. A master reset and re-pairing the phone might set this straight…

I doubt Ford will put much into the CD Text fix. They don’t even offer CD players in their cars anymore.

Your USB may be GPT not MBR, almost all devices other than computers only support MBR devices. https://neosmart.net/wiki/convert-gpt-to-mbr/

This is especially common if you have used the USB’s on MAC or have ever written a Windows ISO in UEFI form to a USB to reinstall.

1 Like

I hate this and run into it constantly, not just with Sync…

This topic was automatically closed 6 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.