Screen froze on map

My thoughts:

A) Of course forums are “loaded” with problems, normal people do not usually create an account to post “hey, I’ve upgraded my system, everything works fine, thank you for your free service, you’ve saved me money”. No, they usually do that when something goes wrong. So yeah, it’s expected to have a forum “full” of problems. Take your case for instance, when you upgraded your system about a month ago it was fine. Did you post back then saying it was all good and thank the team?, nope… You registered 21 hours ago and posted this issue. It’s human behavior…

B) Most of the “errors” are just user-errors, people that do not read before doing stuff.
Most of them are recoverable, but we can’t do anything when HW starts to fail.
We had even some cases where users could not update from 3.0 to 3.4 because the APIM was faulty, even though it worked ok.

C) Things work ok until they don’t. What’s going to kill you is the thought “would it had failed if I didn’t upgrade to 3.4?”; nobody knows. Cyanlab has been around for a while now, success rate is sky high. Packages are Ford’s and signed, so if they fail it’s because HW stuff, they are not tampered in any way.

D) You said the forums are “loaded” with problems. Could you link 10 issues that would relate to yours?.

If you still have some doubts, disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes to force all modules to reboot. Again, if it’s a HW issue from the APIM, issue will come back eventually. If I were you, I would try to upgrade to the latest 3.4 build, with reformat (since you already reformatted the unit). Will it work?, who knows. Would it be better or worse?, who knows. But since downgrade to 3.3 does not work, I think you will not be able to do this either.

Why did it failed?, APIM has storage. If you have corrupted storage, maybe the reformat changed something and now the APIM is using bad storage. Who knows, really…

And a final thought: have you tried a different usb drive? (not disk)
A quality branded one.

1 Like

If you were able to complete the asbuilt restoral to stock, then all of the settings you made previously would have been overwritten. The Bronco splash screen should have been returned to the Ford logo and NAV-in-motion (region) should have returned to US (5553). If this did not happen, then the restoral was NOT successful, and you are still experiencing the same issues. Restoring the APIM to factory stock state is critical for repair, as long as the hardware is ok. Using FORScan, save the existing APIM asbuilt and post it here. Also, run the APIM Interrogator Utility in the Syn3 Updater app and post that. We need to see what the settings and health of the APIM are in order to assist you in fixing it. (Redact your VIN before posting)

If you were trying to back rev to 3.3.19052, you would have not gotten the INST_ERR12. You would get this error if you tried to go back to 3.0, however. There is definitely something in an odd state with the APIM. Hopefully if the USB ports will work it could be fixed.

The fact that everything worked after the upgrade (reformat) to 3.4 from 3.0 shows that the APIM was functioning correctly. Since you are now on 3.4.21194, downgrading to 3.3 is a simple 15 minute operation with 1 file. This will free up memory and MAY restore the unit. If it does, then there is a bad memory cell (location) which will prevent you from upgrading back to 3.4. This is actually not uncommon for Gen 1 and 2 APIM’s due to age, etc. Also, keep in mind that these APIM’s (Gen 1/2) do not have the speed or resources to be running the animated splash screens and such like the later Gen 3/4 units, of which the animated splash screens were designed to be used with.

If you need help with using FORScan to complete the restoral and downgrade the unit, we are here. But get the asbuilt and Interrogator files if possible so we know what we are up against.

No I can’t link 10 threads that are similiar to mine. That is why I had to create a thread. I spent a large amounts of time looking for similiar problems to fix it myself.

I understand you guys have to deal with these threads regularly, which can get annoying. I am very new to this, i.e do not know what to share to help you guys. When your are abrupt with me with things like " since you are not giving us the information at once, I’m not going to spend a lot of time on this" , " We only know what you tell us, which is incomplete", and accusing me of thing like “either @Blood is avoiding saying they have modified the APIM SW in any way or the APIM is failing” eventually I am going get frustrated.

I do feel like if I wouldnt of used the program I wouldn’t of had a problem. It could be that it exposed something in my system of course. I’m just trying to share all that I can to gain your expertise in hopes to help me in anyway. I appreciate the time you’ve put into my situation.

I will try another USB and see what happens. The screen went back to the half frozen map, and doesn’t seem to recognize an USB when that happens, but i will try to get it to work.

I think before you do anything you need to make sure the AS Built is set back to stock.

Hello.

After reading your message, I can see what you are saying. Thanks for pointing that out, I should had used different wording, apologies if that upset you.

I mean, I still stand by what I’ve said, but maybe I should had used different phrases. The thing about text is that it’s interpreted, it’s not like voice.

There had been more comments of things you could try, remember you can try unplugging the battery for about 30 minutes to force all modules in your car to reboot. Resetting the APIM via forscan is also good. Do you have any DTCs?.

After all that is set and done, you need to try making the USB ports functional.
Do they work for media playback?.
If they are, at least they are recognized by the unit.

Okay, I think this is the APIM log. I have also attached a screen
shot of the as built. I disconnected my batteries this morning for over a half hour with no change. The screen is frozen today. If I get it unfrozen I can most likely try a flashdrive again. I will try a different one. I will work on the interrrogator files also.

I was thinking it was acting like it did not have enough storage, but that is also just my inexperienced thought process.

20211115_100847|375x500

;Block 1
7D0G1G1AA2A050324D9
7D0G1G2028B42048B38
;Block 2
7D0G2G155530103F47A
7D0G2G202008F00006C
7D0G2G30005E1
;Block 3
7D0G3G10100010300E0
;Block 4
7D0G4G101000F000FFB
7D0G4G20001DE
;Block 5
7D0G5G11AAE1A404443
7D0G5G25C3A
;Block 6
7D0G6G1805E
;Block 7
7D0G7G12D003A000046
7D0G7G2000003BE00A1
7D0G7G3005656AC0039
7D0G7G4CFB1
;Block 8
7D0G8G10000000000E0
7D0G8G20000000000E1

I just tried to downgrade again and got the same message.

Since I cant downgrade to 3.3 I cant use the interrogator correct?

You can try, because the interrogator tool does no modify the APIM, it just reads stuff and generates an XML file on the USB.

Okay. Thank you so much!

The asbuilt looks fine. Nothing to note here…The Bronco splash screen returned to the Ford logo and NAV-in-motion (region) returned to US (5553).

See if you can get the Interrogator Utility to run…

The new flash drive did not work to downgrade. I will try the interrogator next.

While the screen was working this morning I noticed the map had no GPS, I can still read text while driving ( indicating the mobile nav is is still on. The other weird thing is that the bronco splash screen comes on when the truck is turned on and the ford splash screen sometimes comes on when it turns off.

Thanks again for all the help

That’s your opinion but you are wrong, there are a few references to err12 on the forum and all are related to hardware fault.

Once again, the software installed on your apim is downloaded directly from ford servers, the reformat tool used to bypass the lock at 3.0 or below is a official signed ford tool used internally that made its way on the web. The thing to be aware of is… If the apim has a faulty emmc (hard drive essentially) then a full reformat could damage this by putting more wear on. Just like If you have a hard drive in your pc and it’s dying if you put more wear on it and it could die sooner.

This is expected as the old as-built is slightly different for themes so it mis matches

Did you see if you can get the Interrogator Utility to run…?

Thank you for checking. I haven’t been able to get the screen to unfreeze again. I thinknim going to have to buy a new APIM.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.