Some APIM Settings Going Back to Default

I have a 2019 Ford F150 Lariat. I had SYNC set to connect to my home wireless internet for updates. Ever since it received the SYNC 3.4 build 22251_Product, there are a few settings that won’t save. I’ll set the settings, but once the truck is turned off then back on, those settings are set back to default. I’ve done a master reset twice, the soft reset by pressing the power button and seek button several times. And I’ve disconnected the battery twice, once for 10 minutes, and another time for 3 hours. I downloaded the same version from CYANLABS and tried reinstalling it, that didn’t work either. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I’ve seen the reformat option and downgrade option, but haven’t gotten brave enough to try that yet. If someone thinks that might work, I’d try it.

I do have the Forscan module to connect to the truck if needed.

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3.4.22251

New SYNC Version: 3.4.22251

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: Official Ford

1 Like

Did you use Forscan to make changes on the APIM?

1 Like

No, I did not.

1 Like

When you tried installing the build with Cyanlabs, was that an autoisntall?.
Run the APIM interrogator against the unit and post back the results.

1 Like

What settings are not saving?

Yes, it was autoinstall. I’ll need to read up on the APIM interrogator.

Hi Bill. The settings that aren’t saving are… Please note, it’s not every time I turn the truck on these settings are back to default. But most of time, they are set back to default. I’d say 1 time out of 8, they might keep how I set them.

Touchscreen beeps. I turn these off. They are on by default.
Backup camera delay. I turn this on. It’s off by default. This leaves the backup camera on until you reach 5mph going forward.
Audio preset pages. Default is 2. I set it to 5.
Display setting to NIGHT all the time. Default is AUTO.
WiFI connections. It doesn’t remember my home wireless network.

Have you tried deleting any profiles that are saved in Sync, if they are enabled? Also, once you set the settings as desired, leave the ignition on, and press the preset 1 setting on the door panel to save all of the vehicle settings (for the driver), and then associate that setting with the key fob by pressing the lock button on the key fob as soon as the message comes up on the IPC. You may have some conflicting settings stored and this is what is happening. These settings are key fob specific. This is in the owner’s manual if you need help.

Thanks for the suggestion. I found the instructions on the manual. However that didn’t fix it. I was hopeful. I went and got a new battery at Costco yesterday hoping that was it, but it wasn’t.

This all started after an OTA update from Ford. The truck was connected to my home wifi and got it.

I reinstalled it using the cyan labs auto install method.

Is there something else I can try?

What controls these settings? APIM or BCM?
Display settings
Wifi connections
Backup camera delay
Ambient light setting
Number of pages for audio presets

Thanks

1 Like

If you have not done so, perform a Master Reset of the APIM. This will wipe out the saved phones, etc., but may clear any setting corruption. Sometimes it will take multiple master resets to clear.

If that doesn’t do it, you could try performing a reformat of the unit, since it is a 2019. Just follow the instructions in the Syn3Updater.

How do I do a Master Reset of the APIM? Is it the master reset under Settings, then General? Or is it where you press and hold the power button and the seek right button at the same time? I’ve done those multiple times.

Yes

Ok, I was hoping for some button press method or something else.

Guess I’m to the point of either going to the dealer or doing the REFORMAT method. I do have the PremiumCare extended warranty from Ford that covers bumper to bumper.

Performing a Master Reset

Press Settings on your vehicle’s SYNC screen. Choose General. Scroll down and press Master Reset. A message confirming that all system settings will be erased and reset to factory defaults will appear.

[

How do I perform a SYNC 3 master reset - Ford

](https://www.ford.com/support/how-tos/search/How%20do%20I%20perform%20a%20SYNC%203%20master%20reset/#:~:text=Performing%20a%20Master%20Reset,-Start%20your%20vehicle&text=Press%20Settings%20on%20your%20vehicle’s,to%20factory%20defaults%20will%20appear.)

Thank you. Yeah, that’s what I’ve done a few times. That still hasn’t resolved my issues.

Having exact same issue. I can’t seem to change versions to get out of it.

1 Like

You and I seem to be the only ones. I’m hesitant on doing the reformat since I have an extended warranty.

What year is your truck? Mines a 2019 F150 Lariat with the 502A package.

If this is a corruption issue from an OTA update, you will need to either reformat the unit or have Ford replace it. OTA update corruption is a common issue.

If I’m not mistaken, isn’t reformat only for upgrading from like 3.3 to 3.4, downgrade for everything else? Would I have to override the downgrade?

I will be going to ford tomorrow, still under warranty.

You can use the reformat tool to reload any Sync 3.2+ version directly, although versions above 3.4.19101 need to be downgraded because the tool is blacklisted from there forward.