Sync 3.4 Upgrade Successful But with Minor Setbacks

Hello, I have a 2014 exp ltd as well and have upgraded to sync 3 v3.4.

For context, I upgraded using a Sync 3 (with nav) screen v2.0 from a 2017 ford Escape (junk yard salvage) after the upgrade, I’ve been looking into fixing the following issues and have been hoping to get some information on fixes. If these are things that any of you observing this thread have solved I would greatly appreciate it.

1. Time on Sync 3 screen showing 12:00 always, and the clock on the dash display showing --:-- (right of speedometer)
  2. Climate Control (Dual) not working as expected. The dual button on the HU only toggles off but can’t be toggled on, while the button on the climate control unit does the opposite??
  3. Steering wheel ‘voice control rocker’ and ‘Seek’ not working at all. Is this something that is wrong on my APIM setup?
  4. USB port says not working properly – error messaged received on startup. However android auto does work, but phone doesn’t seem to be charging. Do I need to get another USB unit?
  5. For context, I am now looking for the upgraded USB hub (PN HC3Z-19A387-B or HC3Z-19A387-B or hc3z-19a387-e or HC3T-14F014-BD) and will re-post here when it’s been installed.
  6. GPS Navigation says not working properly on startup but does actually work properly. How can that error message be removed?
  7. on that note, yes it actually works on the sync 3 screen, but, on the instrument cluster, the distances are wayyy out of whack??? For example, the distance to next turn will say 27300 m when it’s 1 km away??? And to make it more confusing the distances on the Sync 3 screen are correct.
  8. Bluetooth pairing name (Want to change from focus to explorer??)
  9. Rotary volume not displaying on screen when volume adjusted.
  10. Volume fade (left, right, rear, front) and EQ settings when changed immediately snap back to neutral. Not sure why?
  11. Parking assist does not work at all anymore.

Can you PM me your VIN and what vehicle you got the Sync 3 unit from? Also, if you can find it, the Part number of the Sync 3 unit you upgraded to, or what car is was obtained from.

You should be able to PM now.

1 Like

I’m sure the Chief is working through these with you as most are asbuilt, but you have other issues in here too ill pick up:

2: this is a compability problem you won’t be able to fix (update: this may actually be asbuilt, when I wrote this I thought you had an Escape not an Explorer)
4: new hub will sort that
6: you need a better quality gps antenna, that error is caused by a short on the gps antenna usually due to cheap Chinese GPS antenna. Suggest you Google this and research, or I can advise on a part number separately.
10. Might need to flash your acm
11: refer to the ‘enabling Park assist’ topic, you will likely need to upgrade your PAM module.

All of the remaining issues are asbuilt configuration changes.

1 Like

Since the replacement unit is from an Escapee’, as Dori would say, the vehicle specific values in 7D0-05-xx thru 7D0-07-xx are wrong for an Expedition. Changing those values to reflect an Expedition is needed to getting the parking, etc., working is needed. I sent him the values for this.

The Chinese antennas have issues.

All of the issues were resolved with proper APIM programming. Except the hub replacement, which is waiting on parts.

Yippee!

1 Like

I have just found a the final solution, thanks to @F150Chief . Here is the breakdown of the solution and the APIM settings below. Remember this fix is for a 2014 ford explorer limited with sync 3 (v3.4) upgrade.

@F150Chief edit: I added and/or highlighted the settings…

1. Time on Sync 3 screen showing 12:00 always, and the clock on the dash display showing --:-- (right of speedometer) - fixed with settings below [image] 7D0-01-01 (xx21 xxxx xxxx)
  2. Climate Control (Dual) not working as expected. The dual button on the HU only toggles off but can’t be toggled on, while the button on the climate control unit does the opposite?? Still not working as expected but many other commenters believe this is a hardware issue. [image]
  3. Steering wheel ‘voice control rocker’ and ‘Seek’ not working at all. Is this something that is wrong on my APIM setup? fixed with solution below. specifically, the settings for 7D0-01-01 (xx21 xxxx xxxx). The default apim setting was 22 and this was incorrect. inserting 21 fixed the problem. [image]
  4. USB port says not working properly – error messaged received on startup. However android auto does work, but phone doesn’t seem to be charging. Do I need to get another USB unit? - ordered a new part and Gen2a connector from ebay (~$100 CAD) and aliexpress (~$20 CAD) respectively.
  5. Navigation says not working properly on startup but does actually work properly. How can that error message be removed? sorted with settings below… not sure which exactly [image] 7D0-01-02 (x2xx xxxx xxxx)
  6. Navigation prompts are not sent to dash readout to the right of speedometer. fixed with apim settings below… not sure which exactly [image] 7D0-01-02 (x2xx xxxx xxxx)
  7. Bluetooth pairing name (Want to change from focus to explorer??). This used to read as Ford Escape… so I changed the following 7D0-04-01 (xxxx xxxx 0Bxx). lots of other forums give a breakdown for what this can be.
  8. Heated steering wheel, cooled seats, heated seats and rear controls with manual airflow - 7D0-01-01 (xxxx xxxx xExx) adding the ‘E’ fixed the problem.
  9. Rotary volume not displaying on screen when volume adjusted. this is fixed with settings below… not sure which one exactly [image] 7D0-01-01 (xxxx 0xxx xxxx)
  10. Park assist was not working. Changed the following settings to enable. 7D0-04-02 xx xx from 02 to 03**. xx03 is the old Sync 2 setting I had so that should is now the correct sensor array.
  11. EQ Settings and sound balance (front, back, left right) not working properly… the settings below fixed this as well [image] 7D0-01-01 (xxxx x5xx xxxx)

Really important to MASTER RESET after applying many of the changes or you won’t notice a difference. Also, there was some settings I played around with that caused traction control to fault and terrain management system to fault. DONT PANIC, just drive around for 15 minutes and it will manually reset. This happened twice to me as I was making changes and it solved the problem.

See more APIM setting breakdowns below.

Rear Climate Controls, Heated Steering Wheel (HSW), Heated/Cooled Seats HMI
7D0-01-01 xxxx xxxx x*xx
0=Rear Climate Not Available, HSW Not Available, Heated/Cooled Seats Not Present
1=Rear Climate Not Available, HSW Not Available, Cooled Seats Present
2=Rear Climate Not Available, HSW Not Available, Heated/Cooled Seats Present
3=Rear Climate Not Available, HSW Not Available, Heated Seats Present
4=Rear Climate Not Available, HSW Available, Heated/Cooled Seats Not Present
5=Rear Climate Not Available, HSW Available, Cooled Seats Present
6=Rear Climate Not Available, HSW Available, Heated/Cooled Seats Present
7=Rear Climate Not Available, HSW Available, Heated Seats Present
8=Rear Climate Available, HSW Not Available, Heated/Cooled Seats Not Present
9=Rear Climate Available, HSW Not Available, Cooled Seats Present
A=Rear Climate Available, HSW Not Available, Heated/Cooled Seats Present
B=Rear Climate Available, HSW Not Available, Heated Seats Present
C=Rear Climate Available, HSW Available, Heated/Cooled Seats Not Present
D=Rear Climate Available, HSW Available, Cooled Seats Present
E=Rear Climate Available, HSW Available, Heated/Cooled Seats Present
F=Rear Climate Available, HSW Available, Heated Seats Present

3 Likes

I upgraded my 2016 Expedition to 3.4 and am having this same issue. @F150Chief, looks like you were able to help the OP fix this? If it was a Forscan change can you provide the details?

Also having a similar issue with the rear climate control lock: when it shows locked on the screen, the back seat controls are actually unlocked, and vice versa. Any ideas on that one?

Thanks!
~John

Hi @JohnnBoy,

There was no fix available. The issue is hardware based. Sorry I couldn’t be of any assistance.

I have not seen this behavior for the rear panel controls, they usually work or not.
What are your values at:
7D0-01-01 xxxx xxxx xXxx
7D0-01-02 xXxx xxxx xxxx
7D0-04-01 xxxx xxXX xxxx

Do you have a Rear EFP (Rear Electronic Feature Panel) with Rotary Volume Knob? And NAV?

Ok, well at least now that I know it’s a hardware thing I won’t keep troubleshooting it.

Thanks

Here are my values:
7D0-01-01 B222 0501 28DB
7D0-01-02 0283 0000 0A69
7D0-04-01 0100 0800 00E5

I do have Nav but I don’t have a rotary volume knob in the back. The rear controls have a rocker switch for volume and rotary knobs for temp and fan speed. Looks similar to this:

Thanks for the help,
~John

With this setting the rear EFP is DISABLED as far as Sync is concerned. Try setting this to ‘3’.
This is a manual control panel so might not be controlled thru the APIM.

2=USB2 Disabled, Navigation Enabled (Telenav Common HMI), Rear EFP Disabled
3=USB2 Disabled, Navigation Enabled (Telenav Common HMI), Rear EFP Enabled

1 Like

Graham and Chief. I had a similar problem with my climate control functions but resolved the issue by changing my manual climate control module to a automatic control module. After changing it, I was able to make front and rear adjustments through my Sync 3 display. I hope this helps.

hi @vacop2, to be clear, I can control the front and rear climate control settings, but the fact is that the settings on the display are opposite to that on the hard control panel. All signs point to the fact that the hardwiring is reversed, functionally it all works.

however, the Dual is something that works a bit funny. I can toggle it ON on the display, but cannot toggle OFF. however on the hard panel, it can be toggled ON and OFF.

2 Likes

That really is strange. Did you have your VIN programmed to the donor APIM? I had to have my VIN, NAV, Sirius Radio capability, and automatic HVAC control programmed to my donor APIM when I converted from Sync 1 to Sync 3.4.

If you have your AsBuilt set correctly in the first place you won’t have issues, if you had incorrect AsBuilt like vacop says then you will have issues.

Is there any information that I can provide that may help troublshoot further?

Graham, can you provide the a picture of your Sync version info page? This will include the VIN of the vehicle that Sync unit is programmed for, and include the VIN of the vehicle the Sync unit is installed in and the VIN of the donor vehicle. This will provide a better view of what you are working with.

No it won’t, it will show the VIN of the car it is installed in.

You made a hardware and asbuilt change to solve the issue, which works. The root of the issue here is the incompatibility of the older C1CMA control structure interfaced with the newer CGEA 1.3 structure, which the hardware swap would solve. This is discussed above in this thread.