TCU HJ5T Asbuilt Discussion

I don’t believe the AsBuilt data should be any different between Canada and the US. There’s the ‘42’ bits in 754-01-01 with a destination region, but it already specifies North America. Nothing else is country specific.

How long has this upgrade been installed for you? Many of us had to simply wait out for features to slowly populate in the app and even then some features are still unavailable while Ford continues to work on it from their end. Charge Notification as an example seems like it is potentially defaulted on with no toggle in the app for it yet. If the remote start/lock/unlock features work for you, that’s a good sign that the TCU is provisioned and functioning.

As far as multiple user authorizations, that SHOULD work. It was one feature I tested early on with mine. Your wife should have her own separate FordPass account and add the VIN like normal and it should specifically say that it has been authorized already and give the option to request authorization from the primary user (you). I’d have to give that a try again on my end as I’m pretty sure with the multiple Master Resets I’ve done since, that secondary user has been de-authed.

On a final note, we have gotten two separate users so far on the C-Max forums indicating their dealers have been instructed to hold off on these upgrades full stop due to some unspecified software issues.

I picked up the vehicle on March 9th and was able to complete the authorization based on info from the Cmax forum on March 10th (I used the connected-car sdk site). I waited a few weeks to see if any additional data would populate, but nothing else begin working. I just re-added the vehicle to my wife’s Fordpass and it’s not working. She does have her own Fordpass account. The app shows no functionality, just an empty screen with the splash shot of the vehicle.
I wonder if Ford is aware of the issues and has some fix planned?

You might want to try authorizing using FordPass itself rather than connected-car site if you haven’t already. Might not make any difference, but worth a try. Once one person (either you or your wife) completes the authorization then the car is tied to that person’s FordPass account. In order to share control with someone else, they need to add the car to FordPass and it should send the first person a request (rather than there being a prompt in the car).

Other than FordPass apps will have real issues with the FordPass system since Ford is attempting to shut down access for those apps. Since the authorization was done via non-Ford authorized methods, I suggest that you do the following to resolve the account issues:

1. Open the app on both phones, delete the vehicle from the account on the secondary user’s phone, close the app, delete the app from the phone, reboot the phone. On the primary phone delete the vehicle from the account, close the app, delete the app from the phone, reboot the phone.
  2. Remove both phones from the vehicle.
  3. Remove the vehicle pairing from both phones. Reboot the phones.
    (It is important to reboot the phones to clear the cache of all instances of the BT pairing.)
  4. Now that both phones do not have FordPass installed, go to the vehicle and preform a Master Reset of the Sync unit.
  5. DO NOT install FordPass at this time on the phones.
  6. Once the APIM comes up and has finished booting and loading maps, pair the primary user’s phone ONLY to the vehicle. Once the phone is paired and the contacts download, etc., you may proceed with installing FordPass on the primary cell phone ONLY.
  7. Once FordPass is loaded, sign into the app. First check that the vehicle is NOT listed on the account. If it is, then the vehicle will need to be deleted. If the vehicle is not listed, add the vehicle to the account.
  8. Now it is time to authorize the modem…
  9. Start the vehicle. The vehicle must be running to complete the authorization.
  10. Select authorize and wait for the app response to say the authorization is pending. You should receive an email stating that the authorization is pending.
  11. Watch the APIM for the authorization prompt. Answer yes.
  12. The app should reflect the vehicle is authorized and start populating the features. You should receive an email the vehicle is authorized. If you do not receive the emails, then the Ford servers are very busy or there is an issue with the account.
    Once this is completed, shut down the vehicle for 15 minutes or so.
  13. You may now add the secondary user’s phone to the vehicle and to FordPass. Do NOT attempt to authorize the vehicle from the secondary user’s phone. This will really mess things up and you will need to go thru all this to fix it.

Authentication never worked properly using the Ford website. I just tried it again and it’s still not working. It sends the authorization request to the vehicle, but no functionality appears in Fordpass. Could my version of Sync have something to do with it? The website says the latest version is 3.0.19205, but I’m running 21194 from the CyanLabs updates.

The Sync version should not affect this.

There is likely an issue with the account or provisioning on the Ford side. I would take it to the dealer to resolve, as there is nothing you can do without IDS access and tools.

I reopened this thread to continue the discussion…

Thank you for reopening this thread. I have a 2015 Escape that I just successfully upgraded Sync 1 to Sync 3, now Im looking to see if I can implement a tcu to the vehicle. I have successfully done the TCU retrofit in a 2015 and a 2017 f150 and did a 3g to 4g conversion in a 2020 fusion energi. First question is that the escape dont have a gateway module so how will forscan see a tcu on the ican buss? Can I not do any forscan work in the escape? Or will forscan see it through the ipc as a gateway maybe? I was able to see the esn for the tcu through the apim but couldnt see the tcu on forscan. Sorry for the long post and thanks for any input

1 Like

FORScan works fine on an Escape. I know that Escapes have TCU modems available, so the TCU will connect to something. Most likely I-CAN?
The vehicle electrical architectures that the H series TCU are CGEA 1.1, CGEA 1.2, CGEA 1.3, C1CMA, and TCA.

I know forscan works on the escape, I ment that I didnt know if forscan would see the TCU and let me do changes while in the escape as it has failed to see it so far in the escape. It was originally in a 2017 f150 from Canada and I had it in my 2017 f150 for a long time. It is a HL3T-14G229-AP with the -UM calibration factory loaded on it. I just loaded the asbuilt for a 2017 escape onto it using my f150 tonight but wont be able to test in the escape until tomorrow

Ask @Vchat20 how he got a TCU to show up in a 2013 C-Max?

I think initially you will need to use another vehicle profile to get it working in the Escape…this is how the procedure worked for the 2015-2016 F150’s till we got Alexesy to include it in FORScan.

I don’t know if this modem will work, I think you might need an HU5T modem.

That’s basically all I had to do as well was do a new vehicle profile in Forscan. Otherwise, it just showed up normally on my C-Max. Didn’t have to do anything special to get it to communicate.

The C-Max is CGEA 1.2. Did you connect it to I-CAN? Your modem was from a 2917 Escape, right…?

Yep. The original 2G and 3G TCU’s sit on the I-CAN in the C-Max (at least on these early model years) and the H series/4G TCU went right in its place.

It also was from a 2017 Escape, yes.

So @lvh8fords ,

You will likely need a 2017 Escape TCU. I-CAN buss connection, make a new profile in FORScan.

It is in fact needing hooked to the ICAN buss, but the 2015 escape never had a TCU like the C-max so im going to guess that Forscan isnt going to look for it when loading modules. I have a few TCUs I can try and i can put them in my f150 to program them. Do you know if i will need to put the tcu into factory mode like suggested in the f150 Sync Connect Retrofit forum? The escape apim saw the tcu i put in there this morning but wouldn’t pop up anything in the fordpass app

I may be mistaken, but I believe normally if the module isn’t expected on your model/year, you can reach out to the Forscan devs to make an exception. If my memory is correct, this is how it’s been accomplished for other situations such as the Sync 4 APIM retrofits. Whether or not the IPC will pass it through as the gateway to start with is another question.

As for the factory mode, couldn’t say for certain. You could attempt to activate it in FordPass without the factory mode. Since you’ve done these before you’re probably familiar with all the details but doing a Master Reset should force the TCU to wipe out any previous activations it has with FordPass and start fresh. From what I’ve seen mentioned by others, it should -in theory- still be able to be activated and communicate at some level even if the incorrect vehicle architecture is set but features like remote start/lock/unlock won’t function through the app. A few C-Max owners who have done retrofits found this out earlier on where with the architecture set for CGEA 1.2/1.3 instead of C1MCA they were able to activate it but the remote functions were inop and errored out.

1 Like

Just a small point of clarification to what @Vchat20 wrote: For the H TCU to work properly with remote lock/unlock/start in the C-Max, Escape/Kuga, mk3+ Focus, etc. it has to be set to CGEA 1.2 in line 754-01-01 of the as-built, despite the fact that all these cars use C1MCA architecture. For whatever reason, setting it to C1MCA causes completely inoperative remote functions (though the telematics aspect still works fine).

Edit: That said, I wonder if Ford could have fixed that in the -UN calibration? It was certainly an issue for some dealer TCU swaps because the techs were copying over the configuration from the original 3G TCU (which were all set to C1MCA architecture in line 754-01-01) and then customers couldn’t get the remote stuff in FordPass working. Ford paused the rollout of 4G TCUs and -UN was released shortly thereafter. A bunch of us flashed up to that calibration but couldn’t find any differences. But now I wonder if maybe they fixed it so that the 4G TCU can use the same as-built values as the original 3G model. I’ll test that and report back. Anyway…

So for your 2015 Escape, since you’ve done the Sync 3 upgrade, your TCU’s 754-01-01 should be set to B142 B=Sync3, 1=gasoline engine, 4=CGEA1.2 and 2=North America. I suspect it already was set this way though since you said you loaded in the as-built from a 2017 Escape. So you should be good to go.

Also, did you change the bit in the APIM as-built to tell it a TCU is present?

1 Like

Thanks for the info @F150Chief @Vchat20 @bookemdano. I havent had a chance to play around with this over the last couple days as it is my wifes car and our schedules havent lined up enough. I will try again as soon as I can.

Okay, finally had some time to get after this. I got a tcu and the antennas installed and wired tonight. The APIM shows the ESN for the TCU and FordPass populates the “activate” button but then it pops an error “activation currently unavailable”. Going to give it some time to let Ford do their thing on that end. Forscan will NOT show the TCU, I dont think they have it looking for a TCU in a 15 escape (it is not a hybrid). I am going to see if the in laws will let me snag a profile from their 18 escape to try. Any other suggestions?