Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

FORScan will suggest the files to load on the page you show, just to the right of those. What version of FORScan do you have and what adapter?

The Strategy and Calibration files are the ones to update, the rest will likely stay as is.

FORscan did not suggest anything. Just blind fields (there is an error shown while running Module firmware update on APIM). If I try on any other module, all is fine, no error at all and suggestions are shown.

FORscan v2.4.3
Adapter STN1170 ELM327 Viaken

FYI - This adapter is cautioned by FORScan. See this thread:
ELM327-compatible adapters - how to choose - FORScan forum
Last versions of this adapter have buggy firmware 4.3.x. Recommended to downgrade to stable 4.1.1 or upgrade to stable 4.5.1

What is the error? If it is a timeout or no response error then it is most likely an adapter issue.

Thank you for the Viaken firmware advice, good man.

Talking to the APIM. It is not an error, but it looks like a warning/info:
Unable to read current firmware p/n, use assembly p/n: GB5T-14G379-BA

Sometimes this is just that the firmware part number is just unknown, so FORScan will assume it is a part number common or expected for this model, which would be GB5T-14G379-BA. Not so much an issue. You could try reloading that specific file to correct the error. This is actually not uncommon.

1 Like

Please help! I made an error: see attached was updating apim, and bricked it i believe:

1 Like

log:

Firstly, the build of FORScan you are using is very much out of date. The newest build can be downloaded here:

https://forscan.org/download/FORScanSetup2.4.3.test20210421.exe

This build contains a “recovery mode” that might be able to help. You are updating a “G” series APIM and these are known to be quite finicky when it comes to firmware updates. I’m not all too familiar with the process so I can’t be of much more help unfortunately.

I’m going to check that out.

@nbpfit07,

Try this out…
APIM Firmware Flash Rescue.txt (1.1 KB)

With the truck off, only flash the following:
SBL: GB5T-14G376-AA.VBF
ECU Config/Sound Profile (CAN): GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU Config/Illumination Strat (CAN): GB5T-14G379-BA
It should come back to the ford logo when it’s complete. Turn truck on and it should fully power up.

1 Like

Updated Forscan, retried with above, looks like she still is acting up (or not at all, black screen still) see log:

tried all different combos of the force/recovery buttons at the bottom too, fwiw.

These 2 files are loaded and ok:
ECU Config/Sound Profile (CAN): GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU Config/Illumination Strat (CAN): GB5T-14G379-BA

This is good. The failure seems to be on the calibration file.The procedure is not overwriting the file, there may be an issue with the write or available space to write. Try this:

1. Remove power from the APIM by disconnecting the vehicle battery for 5 minutes.
  2. Connect the battery.
  3. Place the vehicle on a real battery charger. (If the battery power falls below 11.6 volts, FORScan may fail the write. FORScan will warn of battery low voltage, but I don’t see that in the log.
  4. Connect with FORScan and see if the files are identified.
  5. Since the strategy file loaded correctly before, reload only the calibration file. Check ‘Force Program’ and ‘Silence Buses’.
    If this is successful, the unit should boot and should identify the files.

See what happens…make sure you clear all the DTC’s from silencing the buses.

By the way…I notice that you are on Sync3 v3.0.20092 (JR3T-14G381-AU). Unless you upgraded to Sync 3.3/3.4, updating the firmware on this unit will do nothing. Honestly, if you upgrade to Sync 3.4, just purchase a ‘J’ or ‘K’ series APIM, it will perform much better than the old hardware with the new software.

@F150Chief attempted after letting it sit for at least 10 mins, got the multimeter out to check power on charger, that seems good too. These are what I’m getting:

still no go :*(

@F150Chief on a side note, any reliable place to source a j or k apim from? Thanks for all your help!

Try this file…If it fails, then reload the CA file.GB5T-14G375-DA.VBF (709 Bytes)

This is like a kick start…but if it works you can keep it there.

She’s still giving me the big middle finger it seems :frowning:

^that was after i tried to flash the file above.

If the CA file does not work again, go thru the power procedure above again but load both the strategy and calibration files. It might take 2 reloads to work…

I have an idea. We can try to update the unit to late 2016 specs, using these 2 files. If it works, it can stay there. (The DA file is the same as above.) Power reset then go thru that with both files.

Also try checking “Recovery Mode”