Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

I fixed my issue. I’m not sure if you want to get back to him/her and make sure it’s MBR and not GPT. I had it exfat but I realized it’s still GPT.

I’ll pop you a message with the file now mate.

The VIN comes from the FCIM - well that certainly makes sense then, because my SYNC3 (Focus) FCIM did come from a different car - I actually had two of them to choose from, so I tested them both and picked the one that was in the best cosmetic condition.
So, then is the VIN hard coded to the FCIM at the time of production, or can it be reprogrammed with my actual VIN via Forscan or some other method ?

OK good to know on the SiriusXM logos. If I wanted to pursue this by sourcing a later ACM, what model year minimum should I be looking at ? And are the newer units also different with regard to the wiring and connector interfaces (power, speakers etc) ?

Late 2019, it will be a K or 4 starting the part number. You want one that is manufactured late 2019 at least. This will maintain the wiring format. You might have to add either 2 or 4 wires directly to the APIM, as your car will not have them. You can research this in this thread, it has most of the info.

2020 APIM/Screen and 2020 ACM Compatibility - Ford / Hardware - CyanLabs Official Community

Hey Pausenpepe,

i would like to update the APIM Firmware, you already have done this as i read in an thread. Can you help me in that case to understand how to perfom this?

i already ordered obdlink ex, have FORScanSetup2.4.3.test20210808

iam it systemadministrator and have got extended technical knowledge

See the beginning of this thread:
Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files) - Ford / Sync 3 - CyanLabs Official Community

Also, this is a good tutorial:

Make sure you update the adapter also:
ScanTool OBDLink EX Firmware Notice - Ver. 5.6.19 Available - Ford / General - CyanLabs Official Community

Provide a link that works for Forscan 2.4.3 … Latest version.

Sorry for the delay. Yes, the VIN can be programmed in the FCIM with FORScan. Attached is a FORScan codes sheet for the FCIM. You can see at the bottom there is an area for the VIN encoding, This is the alphanumerical VIN converted to HEX.

FCIM As Built Database.xlsx (67.2 KB)

If you like, just PM me the FCIM asbuilt in the vehicle now and the VIN of your vehicle and I can fix the asbuilt, or you can do it. You just need a hex converter to convert the VIN. Here is an online one that works well. Keep in mind these converters are CASE SENSITIVE.

ASCII to Hex | Text to Hex Code Converter (rapidtables.com)

The VIN shown in the pictures above would code out to:
31 46 41 44 50 33 4c 39 32 45 4c 31 36 39 30 38 34

Keep in mind this does not include the checksum bits at the end of each line. Just use 00 for those and let FORScan calculate and write the checksums.

This is fantastic - thank you very much indeed. I should be able to handle this myself from here - I will report back when done and with any other observations that may be relevant or useful to others.

1 Like

Save the asbuilt info from the currently installed FCIM in a safe place.

I looked up the VIN for the donor. It might be it cannot be changed in this module because it’s from a 2014 model. The vehicle has a FCDIM, which does not have the same coding format. But maybe this doesn’t relate…
1FADP3L92EL169084.ab (7.0 KB)

Good point - I’ll hook up the laptop and take a look tonight or tomorrow morning.

1 Like

I see a few units 2019/2020 F150 on EBay with part numbers starting with K - the FM only units are not much $$, but those that support both FM and SiriusXM are much more $$…I see that the case mounting support at the rear for the F150 (single center post) is also different from my current Focus ACM, which has a short support peg at each side - I suppose that can be corrected by transferring bracketry…? Do we know that these 2019/2020 also support HD Radio (maybe that is standard by now ?)

The label will indicate HD Radio, SiriusXM, etc. Don’t worry about the CD player, unless you really need it. It can be deleted from the Sync audio sources. And you can just swap the brackets for the mounting.

Checked this evening - unfortunately the FCIM in my car has no option for an as-built change via Forscan - only an option to update the firmware - I guess I’m stuck with it…

1 Like

Unfortunately that confirms what I thought about the 2014 FCDIM. I am not aware of a method to fix the issue, but if I find something I’ll shoot it your way.

I didn’t read all the way thru this thread, but there might be something in it that can help…
Mk3 Prefacelift Sync 2 8" touchscreen upgrade, How to guide with pics!!! - Ford Focus Club - Ford Owners Club - Ford Forums

Wrong site. Forscan.org is where you can ask them for a link. You might want to say please.

There is another app that was written for the Focus platform specifically (called Focccus) - unlike Forscan it does allow odometer mileage adjustments to be written to the IPC (only upwards) as a hex value. I have done this successfully in the past when I changed my cluster. I can see that Focccus allows the display of the VIN stored in the FCDIM, but no obvious way to change it.

Forscan allows mileage to be written also and only upwards.

1 Like

For some reason I like having a physical disc player still…I was looking at Explorer ACMs in particular - from what I can see they all changed to the new format (with the square wiring sockets) starting with MY2020. So I can’t really tell if the 2019 units with the traditional connector shape would be any different internally than mine…

1 Like

Thanks,

my APIM:
APIM - Modul - Zubehör-Schnittstellenmodul
Teilenummer: JK2T-14G371-FDB (latest known: JK2T-14G371-FDH)
Strategie: GB5T-14G374-DG
Kalibrierung: GB5T-14G375-FD

maybe needed information:

OTAModuleSnapShot
 <p:Node isFlashed="false" specificationCategory="GGDS">
    <d2p1:Address>7D0</d2p1:Address>
    <d2p1:ECUAcronym name="APIM">
      <d2p1:State>
        <d2p1:Gateway gatewayType="NONE">
          <d2p1:DID didFormat="ASCII" didType="Embedded Consumer Operating System Part Number" didValue="8033" responseLength="24">
            <d2p1:Response>5U5T-14G381-ET</d2p1:Response>
            <d2p1:IsConfig>false</d2p1:IsConfig>
          </d2p1:DID>
          <d2p1:DID didFormat="Packeted" didType="Embedded Consumer Applications Part Numbers 1" didValue="8060" responseLength="384">

Device: Adapter: OBDLink EX r1.0 STN2230 v5.6.5 (ELM327 v1.4b) (Up- Date/grade) is planned before.

Sync 3.4 is installed and was updated with SYN3 UPDATER ( Is there any Problem in that combination?)