Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

Hopefully a quick question: But has the guidance changed on the success rates or processes to update the older G series APIMs?

Looks like some potential theories are being tested on enabling the connectivity/FordPass menus enabled in the 7D0-08-xx blocks for the 4G TCU upgrades on PHEVs. Currently my C-Max has a G series APIM and just thinking/planning ahead if the calibration updates are going to be possible or if I would need to splurge for an H series or newer.

The modem you have does not support very much. It’s not the same as the J series modems and up. I do not think that will go very far other than supporting the stuff Ford left out of the hybrid monitoring, which was the 2 items noted.

However, if the ‘testing’ turns out to be real, and there are features to be had, then I would just upgrade the APIM rather than trying to update the firmware, especially on a G series.

3 Likes

Can someone help with what files I need to update to 18.5 Here is my current files

1 Like

There is no need to update the APIM to MY18.5 for any Sync 3 features that your hardware can support. But if you want to upgrade the firmware to support Calm Screen, etc., then below is your option. I don’t know what country you are in or if you have a NAV equipped unit. See this for more info:
APIM Firmware Production Releases - Ford APIM - Docs - CyanLabs Official Community

This looks to be what you have now:
3.0 APIM NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2016-Early 2017, G-Early H Series)
GB5T-14G376-AA
GB5T-14G374-CA or GB5T-14G374-CB
GB5T-14G375-DA or GB5T-14G375-FA (GB5T-14G375-CA NON-NAV)
GB5T-14G379-AA
GB5T-14G379-BA

You can safely go to:
3.0 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2017-Pre-2018.5, H-Early J Series)
(Originally Found On 2017/Early 2018 Units That Ship with 2 USB Ports on Back)
GB5T-14G376-AA
HB5T-14G374-CA
HB5T-14G375-DA or HB5T-14G375-FA (HB5T-14G375-CA NON-NAV)
GB5T-14G379-AA
HB5T-14G379-BA

Is there a particular reason you need to upgrade to MY18.5+ firmware?

I followed the instructions, but because of what is happening in Ukraine and Russia I am unable to buy the full version only the trial for 2 months. The only update that was found was for js7t-14G3771-KHG, but it won’t download.

You need a paid license to download and write the files.

FORScan Licensing Sales and Support, March 15, 2022 - Ford / Other - CyanLabs Official Community

Thank you , was just wanting 18.5 for fmods

“Prerequisites
PUT THE CAR ON A CHARGER – THIS IS NOT OPTIONAL!”

What is the minimum voltage the charger should have?

1 Like

12 volts, like the battery. Like below. 5 amps is ok, 10 amps would be best, but they start getting a little pricey.

Amazon.com : 12 volt battery charger

1 Like

I know when I was doing some calibration updates on my C-Max (specifically the TCU, a 2.5h process and definitely needing a battery charger), my charger was hovering around 7-9 amps, periodically spiking up to 12 or so. This was with the rest of the vehicle ‘powered down’ as part of the flashing process. Depending on the length of the flashing process and age of your battery, something in the 5-10 amp range should be fine I’d think.

2 Likes

I have an older 12 amp unit that constantly runs about 8 amps on the truck during programming.

That output is pretty impressive, what device is it?

It’s an older Schumacher automotive charger/starter. I’ve had it for 30 plus years. Still works great. The new ones can charge 4 different lead acid battery types specifically and have variable charge rates for each, plus the starter capability, run about $100 US. (Amazon, etc.)

2 Likes

Mine was just a (relatively) cheap Everstart unit from Walmart here. Basically the cheapest they actually had on the shelf and had enough amperage for the job. 15 amps/40amp engine start. About $55 USD. It did this job just fine and is another tool in my kit should I need it in the future.

1 Like

Hi @F150Chief et al,

I have a 2017 C-Max Energi with NAV. It has an H APIM (part number:: HP5T-14G371-CAG, hardware number: HP5T-14G380-BA), running G-level firmware:

SBL: GB5T-14G376-AA
Strategy: GB5T-14G374-CB
Calibration: GB5T-14G375-CA
Sound Profiles: GB5T-14G379-AA
Illumination Strategy is blank (Is it normal that my APIM has no Illumination Strategy shown? )

From reading some of the previous posts, it sounds like I could go to:

3.0 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2017-Pre-2018.5, H-Early J Series)
(Originally Found On 2017/Early 2018 Units That Ship with 2 USB Ports on Back)
GB5T-14G376-AA
HB5T-14G374-CA
HB5T-14G375-DA or HB5T-14G375-FA (HB5T-14G375-CA NON-NAV)
GB5T-14G379-AA
HB5T-14G379-BA

Or, can/should I go further to 3.3/3.4 as per this post?: Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files) - #104 by MKFlyers2K

I do have an OBDLink EX that I used successfully to flash an HJ5T-14G087-UF TCU to -UM (like all Energi vehicles my car previously had a 3G TCU on MyFordMobile). I have a 6Amp charger and Forscan 2.4.5 beta3. I do not have a paid license and it sounds like there is no way to obtain one for the time being. But I had no problems flashing my TCU using my trial license, so hopeful I can flash the APIM too.

Would much appreciate your advice.

The production files should work without issue and are safe. Updating further would probably not give you any newer features. Is there something specific you are looking for?

I’ve got the flickering issue on the Sync screen with post-19101 versions of Sync 3.4. I recall there being a potential fix for that by changing the illumination strategy in the asbuilt, but I think to get an option for C1MCA I need 3.3 or 3.4? Maybe I’m misunderstanding this post of yours: Sync 3.4.21194 - Feedback & Issues - #256 by F150Chief

I have no idea if it will even work to get rid of the flicker–I know a lot of Focus/Kuga/C-Max people are plagued with it. I could of course go back to 3.4.19101, but wanted to try this.

Let me know what you think! Thank you.

It will not work for your platform.

You mean the asbuilt changes won’t fix the flickering issue? Can you expound a little bit? Because on the ffclub.ru forum balmix seemed to say it would work for Focus and Kuga, which are also C1MCA.

It seems not to work as noted by many on this forum. It may be a configuration issue with other parameters.

[Feedback Required] - Kuga and Focus flickering screen issue - Ford / Sync 3 - CyanLabs Official Community