2013 C-Max IPC AsBuilt configuration

Hi folks,

I’m looking to gather more information about the 2013 C-Max IPC AsBuilt configuration. It’s unfortunately poorly documented, and doesn’t have a lot of overlap with other IPCs from other vehicles.

From Forscan I get the following details for my factory 2013 IPC:

• Part DM5T-10849-EL
  • Calibration Leve DM5T-10849-EL
  • Strategy DM5T-14C026-CJ
  • Calibration DM5T-14C088-CJ

The factory asbuilt from motocraftservice (2013 Energi SEL, less autopark, less powered liftgate) looks like thus:

<DATA LABEL="720-01-01">
                <CODE>2120</CODE>
                <CODE>6047</CODE>
                <CODE>394A</CODE>
            </DATA>
            <DATA LABEL="720-01-02">
                <CODE>CCDC</CODE>
                <CODE>7860</CODE>
                <CODE>3BE5</CODE>
            </DATA>
            <DATA LABEL="720-01-03">
                <CODE>9001</CODE>
                <CODE>06C8</CODE>
                <CODE>29B3</CODE>
            </DATA>
            <DATA LABEL="720-01-04">
                <CODE>ADD9</CODE>
                <CODE></CODE>
                <CODE></CODE>
            </DATA>

Or in somewhat more legible format:

;Block 1
720G1G1-2120-6047-394A
720G1G2-CCD8-7860-3BE5
720G1G3-9001-06C8-29B3
720G1G4-ADD9

This set of 4 configuration elements under a single Block 1 doesn’t line up with any of the IPCs in the database on this website. Even more frustrating the blocks that are present on the documented IPCs don’t seem to match up with any of the values in my AsBuilt or Forscan modified configurations. No C-Max ever had 2 fuel tanks, for instance.

The closest vehicle with a similar IPC is the 2013 Fusion, which DanMc85 keeps a subset of configuration details for and offers some hints towards at least some of these configuration flags. However a Fusion doesn’t appear to be a central configuration vehicle, and the differences have tripped me up in the past. One might presume it to be similar to the C-Max, to which it shared an entire drivetrain, but this is definitely not the case. Dan’s spreadsheet references blocks which don’t exist on my IPC.

Of particular interest the Forscan folks explicitly recommend against updating the firmware on a C-Max IPC in the car, strongly suggesting a bench setup instead. This tracks with some observations I’ve seen of folks having trouble updating the calibrations on these units. This lends credence to “this is a weird IPC” theory.

That said, it does appear that at least some of this configuration can be properly read by Forscan. They are very good at not actually detailing what their “Simple” configuration editor actually changes though, so my next step there is flipping a bunch of settings using their simple configuration editor and figuring out what it did or did not properly change the behavior of.

I dunno would it be better to yoink a 2015 IPC than deal with mine?

I’ll be updating this post with more details as I come across them. I’m not sure if there’s a procedure to become a “maintainer” of an AsBuilt database. Since I’m going through all of this “”“delightful”" “”“fun”“” “”“time”“” I figured I’d put my notes in a public forum at least.

What I have so far that has turned out to be valid:

• 720-01-02 XXXX-X*XX-XXCC - Bit 10 enables/disables cruise control setpoint display. Ex: 78307C30
2 Likes

Sidenote, as a programmer and electrical engineer I find it frustrating that most of these databases and guides are written in a way that talks about the resulting calculated value instead of teaching folks how to do the byte calculations with a calculator.

The Windows calculator has a “Programmer” mode, where you can display the calculated hex value for a WORD (two bytes) which is how a lot of the flags are calculated for what goes into the AsBuilt editor in Forscan.

Click the little dot panel and you can switch to byte edit mode. Set the length to WORD, and then start clicking on bits to flip them. Works great for AsBuilt bytes that are actually just a jumble of flags.

1 Like

Since your vehicle is built on the C1CMA platform it will not line up with the IPC asbuilt on this site or the asbuilt that DanMc85 has published, as these are all CGEA 1.2 or 1.3. You need to look for C1CMA vehicles to compare modules on the same platform. List of Ford platforms - Wikipedia

Most folks like that they can follow the databases and make the changes for what they want without having to learn a new career field. There are several programs available for calculating asbuilt parameters into hex for programming, including formatting the entire asbuilt ABT file for loading with FORScan or UCDS. I agree that learning hex calculations is maybe a handy skill to have, but for most people, especially non-technical, it’s one of those things you learn once and never use again.

See your PM…

Since your vehicle is built on the C1CMA platform it will not line up with the IPC asbuilt on this site or the asbuilt that DanMc85 has published, as these are all CGEA 1.2 or 1.3.

Ahha, is that what’s separating it from other configurations? I’ve read spurious information about C1CMA vs CGEA 1.2, some implying they’re synonyms. Sounds like whatever differences they do have are relevant here and a few other module configurations.

I agree that learning hex calculations is maybe a handy skill to have, but for most people, especially non-technical, it’s one of those things you learn once and never use again.

I concur, it’s definitely not something folks will encounter often outside of some specific areas. I suspect a calculator baked into things like the databased on CyanLabs would go a long way towards simplifying things for folks, some of the configuration options get quite hard to read sometimes. Not sure if that part of the interface is open source, I’d be happy to take a crack at it sometime.

I’ve spent the afternoon playing around with Forscan and what the latest beta exposes for a configuration and gotten somewhere with it. I plan to keep playing with and documenting what I can.

1 Like

New IPC C-Max (2012-2019) Database is posted.

The data contained in this database primarily applies to C1CMA C-Max Hybrid vehicles.
Instrument Panel Control Module (2012 - 2019)
Part Numbers: DM5T-A*, FM5T-, GM5T-, HM5T-, H1ET-
There may be differences due to vehicle model and region.

IPC C-Max (2012-2019) Database - CyanLabs

1 Like

Kudos for this. Will definitely have to do some further digging on mine now.

Question I do have after a quick review: Mine’s a DM5T-10849-EM. It’s AsBuilt only goes up to 720-01-04. Curious if this is a case where a calibration update (if available) would add the extra functionality and AsBuilt blocks or if this is going to require swapping to a newer IPC? I know some of the newer model years have completely different screen setups on these (early model years just had the Phone/Entertainment/Nav/Efficiency screens on the right side. Newer years had additional fuel efficiency/driving info screens here.) but physically they -appear- the same.

IPC - Instrument Panel Control Module
Part number: DM5T-10849-EM (latest known: DM5T-10849-ER)
Strategy : DM5T-14C026-CK
Calibration: DM5T-14C088-CK

1 Like

All 5 versions that I found have the same info for 720-01-01 thru 720-01-04. It seems the Titanium versions had the 720-02-xx data. (I am not really sure this is completely true as I am not familiar enough with C-Max vehicles.) FM5T seemed to be the exception in this respect, having only 3 720-02-xx data entries.

Here is a 2018 I pulled from CarMax:
2018 C-Max Titanium Hybrid
1FADP5DUXJL105092
720-01-01 2120 2607 39D0
720-01-02 CCDC 2860 3B95
720-01-03 9801 06F8 29EB
720-01-04 AFDB
720-02-01 5553 8330 0085
720-02-02 0000 002B

1FADP5DUXJL105092.ab (33.4 KB)

F110>DSHM5T-1A292-AC
F111>FM5T-14F094-AA
F113>HM5T-10849-AD Part Number
F124>HM5T-14C088-BB Calibration
F188>HM5T-14C026-BC Strategy
F18C>80600000

2 Likes

I was considering doing the calibration update for my own mostly for giggles to see if it changed anything. I was having some trouble narrowing down which IPCs were used for which vehicles, it looks like there may have been overlap with the Focus Electric.

Note that C-Max IPCs are known to fail flashing from within the vehicle so need to be pulled and set up on a bench configuration to be updated successfully.

Good call. I completely forgot about the calibration update concern on these. Looks like that’s off the table. Too much work for little gain in my book for getting a bench setup going. Probably easier to pick up a newer IPC if that even becomes necessary. My main thing I wanted to try to add was the DRL toggle which is in that 720-02-01 block, but it’s certainly not a deal breaker. The remainder of the options in those blocks either aren’t applicable to my trim/model year or are of no interest to me.

I’ll have to re-run ForScan again and see what shows. Currently my reference is an old ABT file I had saved April of last year when I did my Sync 3 retrofit. Not sure what version of ForScan I would have used but maybe with a newer version now it might show more blocks.

That said, I did a quick cross check against what I have now and the 2018 Titanium Hybrid AsBuilt posted above (as well as against the DB) and both are near identical. Only a few things are different like one bit being HEV vs PHEV, another being the driver/passenger heated seat options (my '13 has manual heated seat controls. The '18 would have had ‘automatic’ controls integrated into the HVAC system and able to be controlled via Remote Start). So my IPC seems to check out against the database.

2 Likes

I’m currently working on adding automatic parking to my 2013 SEL Energi (basic equipment package). I’ve played a lot with my IPC to try and get things like the automatic park guidelines working. I suspect DRL configuration just wasn’t an option on our years.

In typical Ford fashion the part numbers for the various year IPCs don’t seem to have a particular sense of order to them, though I’m having trouble finding good information on what part corresponds to what year. I’d have to do a more in-depth comparison of FHEV vs PHEV models post-facelift to see if the second AsBuilt block shows up in all of them or not.

I found an FM5T that claims to be from a 2016 model but the VIN in the eBay listing was definitely wrong so I can’t find the AsBuilt. Might just chalk it up to “definitely avoid FM5Ts” :man_shrugging:

This is a 2018 SE FHEV base model (non-Ti, non-Energi) with an HM5T part number and 720-02 block: https://www.edmunds.com/ford/c-max-hybrid/2018/vin/1FADP5AU9JL106089

Without researching further I’d say it’s probably most 2018s based on that alone. Looking at the AsBuilt there’s some significant differences in modules but it still uses a Central Config. I read on some forum somewhere that post-facelift C-Maxes were CGEA vehicles but this doesn’t seem to be correct. Presumably indicates you could get an HM5T IPC, drop it in, and have a good time.

It’s a shame how much the BCM limits adding later stuff. The Sync 3 controlled ambient lighting is neat and would require significant module swapping to get to. Didn’t know they eventually added HVAC controlled seats, that would definitely be nice to have on frosty mornings.

C-Max are C1CMA. But, as the years went on, they incorporated some CGEA 1.3 software/firmware like lighting control, etc. The messaging is still C1CMA base on the CANBUS, but the subsystem is CGEA, so translation is done before the CAN. This confuses folks who are not knowledgable about CANBUS networking used for vehicles, manufacturing, etc.

1 Like

Good to know. I knew there was something funky with this particular vehicle when I started digging more into it and had some useful insights from various people. Makes sense though being able to have a mix of protocols all going past each other depending on what’s going on and what modules are talking with one another.

I just had a chance to pull up a fresh AsBuilt and I’m still just seeing up to the 720-01-04 blocks. So it may very well just be the newer models (Titanium trims were only available in later model years that had the different IPC configs).

Tried enabling a handful of seemingly useful options (and some that just seemed interesting and wanted to see if they’d function on my IPC/vehicle) but of course not everything functions which I expected.

Global Open/Global Close/Courtesy Wipers/Rain Sensing Wipers/Rear Reverse Gear Wiper/Autolock/Auto Unlock - Assumed all these are just to enable toggles in the IPC and not necessarily a direct function change. However nothing shows in the IPC here.
Hill Start Assist - Same as the others. No new menus/toggles that I can see.

Set Speed (SS) - I had already had this set before and this works and is really handy.
Cruise Control Menu (CCM) - Another one I had already had set but nothing to show for it.
Parking Assist Control Module (PAM)-F/R - Both options enabled. Only thing visible is a Rear Park Aid toggle in the Vehicle settings list. Haven’t seen any other popups or messaging so far.
RMI Climate (RMIC) - Climate option shows up on the right side screen, only shows the driver setting and is stuck at ‘Off’. Even turning on the climate control by hand and the vehicle fully powered on, nothing changes here.

Auto Engine Idle Shutdown - Tried both with and without override but no new menus I can find. Not sure if this is something that will show up after the idle shutoff takes place?

Turn by Turn Navigation - This was turned off, despite having the Nav display and turn by turn directions working fine from the start. Enabled this, no visible change so far.

Next Charge (NC) - This works. Definitely useful for me and could be for others. Right side screen that normally shows ‘Thanks for driving a hybrid’ at shutdown, now displays a toggle between Value Charge and Charge Now at shutdown. This does seem to work properly. Saves a few extra steps rather than waking up the APIM and going into the Charge Settings menu or digging into FordPass.

Low Washer Fluid - Not sure if this will do anything. I don’t think our vehicles were equipped with washer fluid level sensors. Leaving enabled for now.
Similarly, enabled the Low Battery and Frost Telltale options - Nothing visible so far but not the correct conditions currently to trigger them.

One/Two Stage Unlocking - This will probably require an extra setting in the BCM that I haven’t had a chance to look at. With just this enabled in the IPC, no functional change to the locks (still unlocks all doors on first click) and no new menus.

A lot of those features requires the firmware in other modules to be correct or updated. Same with the settings for Sync 3 in the 7D0-09-xx section. A lot of these just enable the menu option if the option is available in the vehicle.

1 Like

I can confirm that Global Open/Close, autolock, auto unlock, rain sensing, and One/Two stage unlock are both not driven by the IPC in our vehicles, I tested those a while back when debugging a semi-related issue with my vehicle with the Forscan support folks.

I’m personally interested in the ability to disable some of the IPC screens, I don’t find the phone menu useful at all and my right steering wheel D-pad doesn’t like to respond to button presses, so I usually just leave it in the compass menu all the time. Having fewer screens to page through might be handy!

As I mess with things I’ve been keeping tabs in my own personal spreadsheet and will be happy to share it once I’ve got it a bit further fleshed out.

If I find an HM5T for cheap I might just splurge, I have the ability to get a bench setup pretty easily and I’m curious what actually works on there vs immediately running into message errors.

Speaking of.

C-Max are C1CMA. But, as the years went on, they incorporated some CGEA 1.3 software/firmware like lighting control, etc. The messaging is still C1CMA base on the CANBUS, but the subsystem is CGEA, so translation is done before the CAN. This confuses folks who are not knowledgable about CANBUS networking used for vehicles, manufacturing, etc.

Yeah as I’m piecing together the systems it’s slowly becoming more clear how these things actually work. My kingdom for a Ford manual on this stuff, the wiring diagram and the shop manual have both been very useful but they tend to stop at a very high level “The SASM sends a message to the BCM…” type descriptions. Like I’ve said before, I really appreciate how much you’ve written down for others to use.

I haven’t hooked wireshark up to the canbus yet but boy am I getting tempted. I already used an oscilloscope to confirm that my 2013 IPMB won’t communicate properly over LIN to a 2017 camera module, causing a DTC haha.

You just need another box of Spree!

1 Like

OMG, is that a 3" floppy?

3.5" hardcase floppy. Those were the days!!!

That was like upgrading from 8-track to cassette.

1 Like

Central configuration settings that are relevant to this thread:

• Byte 14: Headlight type.
    • 02 = Halogen for 2013-2015 models
    • 18 = LED post-facelift
  • Byte 16: Daytime running lamps
    • 02 = Enabled, default for 2013-2014
    • 03 = Always dipped except in position P
    • 0A = Default for 2015
    • 05 = Default for 2017-2018
  • Byte 18: Foglight function
    • 01 = No fog lights (2016+)
    • 02 = Foglamps with no restrictions (on during high beam, “bambi mode”)
    • 03 = Foglamps enabled, disable automatically with high beam
  • Byte 59: Parking assistance
    • 02 = Rear only (base models)
    • 05 = SAPP parallel park assist, required hardware must be installed or it disables everything
  • Byte 99: Park assist camera
    • 01 = Less camera
    • 02 = With camera
  • Byte 177: Self opening boot / tailgate
    • 01 = Less power liftgate
    • 03 = With power liftgate
  • Byte 203: Wheel speed sensor type
    • 02 = Less autopark (single direction rear hub ABS sensors)
    • 01 = With autopark (dual direction rear hub ABS sensors, motorcraft part BRAB-574)
  • Byte 242: Remote start
    • 01 = Less remote start
    • 02 = With remote start (Intelligent Access Key (IAK) 5 button remote

If Wheel speed sensor type is set wrong it generates a DTC and disables ABS, dash lights up light a christmas tree.

If Park assist is enabled without the hardware being installed it generates DTCs, a warning in the IPC, and disables the PDC boop noises entirely.

@vchat20 I know that you had some success setting the DRL mode to 03, this didn’t seem to have any actual effect on my vehicle that I could tell. DRLs are still on in park even with the light mode set to “off” (I leave it on auto all the time). You’re sure it’s turning the DRLs off when you’re parked in the daytime?

I have to correct the info I had posted previously on that. This is what I have found to be the case as well. It’s on all the time with the ignition on, even in Park or with the Parking Brake set. Seems to be the expected operation for those vehicles on the Focus platform (had someone confirm this on the Discord as well as what I’ve been able to find on other boards).

Other than that, it appears to be functioning as expected with the noticeable brightness drop with DRLs on vs low beams on.

1 Like

Some more fun stuff from messing with settings. I enabled the navigation screen in the last configuration block and it’s kinda neat. Works fine with sync 3, doesn’t work with Android auto running.

Disabling the phone menu works as one would expect

And the climate screen doesn’t work one bit! So I turned it back off.