2013 to 2019 ACM AsBuilt sanity check

I was not aware that you have the older “Sony” system that is based on the DACMC. When you said Sony DSP above my mind thought of the later system. In this case, the ANC will still work as intended, but you may need to rewire the connectors for the new ACM. It will need to variable audio setting, as the DACMC has no adjustments for audio controls.

Just a small update. I do have the ACM on hand. The new H APIM has already been installed, calibration updated to -DA level (haven’t tried bumping to EL yet. I did try EK and had black screen ‘no boot’ issues that I was able to recover from easily), and AsBuilt moved over. That’s all working fine.

I have a '19 Fusion service manual on the way (same vehicle the ACM came out of) that should be here tomorrow so I can properly compare pinouts and ensure that checks out as best as possible (and do any modifications necessary) before I try swapping it in.

Unrelated, but also picked up the Sirius/XM/GPS splitter so I can get rid of the crappy third party GPS antenna currently installed and will have that taken care of (and the related antenna location config in the APIM of course) when I attempt the ACM swap.

If the Nav does not work with the splitter than you may need a new antenna. My 20 Fusion came with the older looking whip antenna so you could be fine. I would think if you have the sharkfin than you would be good.

Good to know on the antenna. Mine is a whip antenna too (the small puck on the rear of the roof with the small coiled whip hanging off the back) so crossing fingers. If it doesn’t, no harm. Most of this is me experimenting and messing about. :slight_smile:

Haven’t had much of a chance to play around with this with it being so hot here this past week (I live smack in the middle of the mess in Ohio where the derecho went through with the high heat and humidity and power outages to boot). I’ll probably mess with the antenna splitter tomorrow.

I did do up a spreadsheet comparing the pinouts on the main connectors of concern (ACM C240A, C240B, and APIM C3283):

Somehow I was mistaken earlier and looks like the VMEG circuits are not populated either on my C-Max or even in the Fusion according to this. Looks like just the VMEF/SDL lines to worry about. I’m assuming for the sake of testing and documentation, that leaving these out will just affect the SXM functionality? Other functions in the ACM should still operate otherwise? I’m completely blind. It appears that the VMEF/SDL lines are already populated on the appropriate pins to match on the C-Max. The pin listing has them listed without any references to SDL/SDARS but the actual wiring diagrams prove these out as SDL lines already linked up:

Another thing I noticed is the amplifier enable pin is moved even to a different connector. Went from C240A pin 7 to C240B pin 18. According to both workshop manuals, they do indicate both systems are voltage based on this circuit but they don’t specify WHAT voltage. Additionally with the DACMC this controls on the C-Max it notes that the DACMC adjusts the voltage on its end somehow that the ACM sees to lower volume to prevent clipping which isn’t documented on the Fusion with the newer DSP. So all this is one big question mark. My hope is at minimum since it is just a voltage based signal that they maintained the same voltage between the systems and the lack of clipping protection isn’t going to be a big concern (I rarely run mine above 6 or 7 on volume. 8 and 9 gets into unbearable territory.). I do have a decent multimeter on hand so I can probably trace these out to confirm what they’re running.

Other than those concerns, it seems like everything else lines up already. There’s a lot of circuits on the 2019 Fusion for stuff like the subwoofer, ambient noise mics going to the ACM, and others which do not apply on the C-Max and luckily those pins are unused on the C-Max side so they should be good to leave alone.

My 15 Explorer came with the same looking whip antenna on it and it would not recive Sat signals. I dont know what the part number is on the Fusion and dont want to take it appart as it’s still under warrenty.

6 volts DC. You can use this to turn on amps but need a 6 to 12 volt adapter we discussed before.

This is also used as a feedback to the ACM to reduce volume for clipping purposes. If you were to look at this signal on a scope, you would see an AC component riding the 6 volt DC signal. The more AC, the more reduction in volume from the ACM to prevent clipping. Kind of a degenerative feedback circuit.

Current update:

The GPS signal splitter did not work. I half expected this. Will be keeping tabs out for a GPS equipped antenna in the meantime.

Here’s the fun part: ACM half worked. Since the wiring was all basically 1:1 save for the amp enable circuit, I started by just plugging in and leaving the amp enable pin untouched, expecting the main speakers wouldn’t be active but the center channel should be fed right off the ACM and work (this is the stock behavior with the factory ACM)?

After some finagling and a few module resets I got the APIM to see and communicate with the ACM. It’s able to change sources and channels. Both SiriusXM and AM/FM appear to work (I don’t have an active SXM sub so I can only base off the preview channel) as does CD playback from a visual standpoint. No volume control (Another assumption but with it being set up for external variable speakers, the ACM should be the one in charge of volume control here so something’s not communicating/agreeing?) on screen or via SWC. No center speaker audio. Speaker walk test works-ish but seems to output everything via the right front woofer (which is fed off the DACMC so it’s weird to hear just this one active!). I’ll give it another go later and see if I can run a temp bridge wire between the two connectors on that amp enable pin just to test.

It seems to all have some communication with the car as far as power status goes. The ACM has a quite audible fan when sitting out in the open and it clearly goes out on ignition off/APIM shutdown and comes back on at ignition on/APIM boot. APIM was still able to talk to my TCU and see the ESN and change the charge settings. With the new ACM installed I was able to switch audio sources via the IPC and the FCIM controls worked which both sit on the I-CAN bus alongside the TCU, APIM, GWM, and DACMC.

However, I get lost communication DTCs on the APIM for the IPMB, IPC, and PCM modules (all which are on 3 separate networks: I-CAN, MS-CAN, and HEV HS-CAN, all with the GWM sitting between them and the APIM). Not sure though if these are directly related to the ACM though. I had the CD slot light disconnected and it throws an open circuit code on the FCIM. After reinstalling the original ACM the codes remained seemingly until I reconnected the CD slot lamp and cleared DTCs a few times. One thing I did completely forget about was the I-CAN bus which could very well shoot this whole thing down. Not sure yet on that one.

Here’s the current AsBuilt I’m working with, a mix of what I had worked out above and yours F150chief:

727-01-01 1151 1240 01 (also in xxxx xXxx xx I tried 0, 4, and E)
727-01-02 0400 00
727-02-01 2E
727-03-01 30
727-04-01 0001 0155 53

APIM I only changed the message set to MS New/Pre X40 which is what the donor vehicle had in its AsBuilt. Interestingly this still works with the old ACM at least with what limited functionality there is with no SXM sub.

As far as any new features, specifically the album art display stuff: No album art on the SXM preview channel. Don’t know if they bother publishing any there? No HD Radio album art on iHeart owned stations that I know push out album art on the HD feed.

2 Likes

So thats where the fan is. I kept thinking it was the APIM on my 2020 Fusion that was doing it.

Any update on your progress? I have a J series APIM(Updated Calibration) with a 2020 Fusion ACM and I cant get it to turn on.

Unfortunately I’ve been busy with other things so haven’t had a chance to mess with it further. I’ll try and give it another go tomorrow. Only things I really have in mind are that amp enable pin and at least getting a jumper wire in place and see if that helps. That and keeping the CD slot lamp connected just to rule out any DTCs (though doubt this one will matter much). Beyond that if it doesn’t work I’m out of ideas and would just assume it’s not going to work with the C-Max. But I’ll definitely report back my findings.

I double checked and my AMP trigger wire did not change so I will be suprised if that helps you but for your sake I hope I am wrong. I have come to the conclusion that a K series APIM is a nesessity for this.

During the first attempt I was able to get the APIM to communicate and control/turn on the ACM, although it was intermittent at the time (once the two were able to co-exist I was able to change sources and the APIM showed the FM and Sirius station data correctly, but on a module reset/power cycle if it dropped out it was dead until I did another reset or two). Just the audio wasn’t coming out for likely obvious reasons. Although the weird confusion was the speaker walk test sent every speaker output through the right front woofer only (which is supposed to pass through the DACMC/amp). So I’m crossing fingers that the amp enable pin being added can at least have audio coming out. I will pay closer attention to the intermittent behavior though when I get to it. This may still be related to needing an even newer APIM as you suggest. But we’ll see!

Curious what the end result was on this. I have a 2016 Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium and updated to the SYnc3.4 by replacing the APIM. Problem is when listening to Sirius and only get the music note and was hoping to upgrade to something that gives me the album art. Was told this was only available on newer Fusions with the newer ACM. Is an upgrade possible or are the connectors between the versions of the car to far off?

Unfortunately I think this ACM is a lost cause on the C-Max. I tried earlier this week and gave it a second go again today but getting the same situation.

a) The patched amp enable pin does nothing. No audio, no audio during the speaker walkaround test
b) Random communication DTCs from related modules like the IPC, PAM, etc… They don’t always appear.
c) APIM can randomly communicate with the ACM. A key cycle is all that seems to be needed but it is intermittent whether the APIM sees it and can switch sources or stations OR it is stuck on Audio Off. In both cases, zero audio from the system. No beeps or otherwise.

My wild guess is just the different communication protocols. If that does end up being the culprit, I’m not even sure if there’s any newer 2019+ ACM’s from other Ford models out there that CAN work with the C-Max since design/protocol-wise it has been stuck in place during its entire run here in the US from 2013-2018 it seems like.

You were using an H series APIM right? I could not get it to work with a J series and have a K on the way.

I do have an H series APIM, though it has been upgraded to MY18.5+ firmware (specifically DA level so it has access to a lot of the added features like the driver assistance menu and various vehicle settings and whatnot). Not sure how much that will impact things. But definitely let me know if the K version works better for you with the Fusion. If it does, I may try another stab at eBay and look for one to try.

Given the communication errors showing with other modules, I’m leaning towards something deeper. The ACM, per the '19 Fusion wiring diagram I have, is expecting the HS3 CAN bus on the same pins where the stock ACM is sitting on the I-CAN bus on the C-Max which that cross interaction has been an issue elsewhere such as the TCU’s. Only reason it never crossed my mind before now is the Sync 3 APIM’s have been behaving fine with this configuration. So a question mark there if that’s part of the issue.

My 2020 Fusion came with all this. I am putting it in my 15 PIU that has CGEA 1.2

You may be on to something there…

Well the K series is working better for sure but it still is not turning on the ACM or giving me sound. So after turning off the Explorer I pressed the power button on the radio after everything shut off. The radio came on fine but had no audio like before. The good news is that everything worked perfect other than Audio. I had Album art on Sirius and I had the icons in the presets also.

I copied the AB from my Fusion best I could and got these results. Now I just need to figure out why the ACM shuts down right away on Key run and why I get no audio. I have no problem going A2B but I need the A2B cable.