3.3.19052 and 2021 maps: reformat?

I have a 2016 Edge (so MY20 does not apply) loaded with 3.3.19052 and NA 2.20 (2020) maps. (I’m staying on 3.3.19052 so I don’t have to upgrade the USB hub. Yes, I’m cheap.)

I’m only looking to upgrade to 2.21 maps but this option doesn’t come up with the “Upgrade Maps Only” option. I do get the 2.21 option if I select a full 3.3.19052 install, which also switches the install mode to Reformat. I’m trying to ID why the 2021 maps require a reformat and reinstallation of the same Sync3 version, but so far haven’t found it. A little help? Thanks in advance.

SYNC Region: North America & Canada

Navigation Variant: Yes

Install Type: Stock (Original Unit)

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.18???

New SYNC Version: 3.3.19052

Do you have a error message, if so what is it? No

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: 2.10.11

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: Yes

Syn3 Updater Log File Not Applicable

NA Maps are ESN locked, reformat is required to bypass this check

Aha! That should’ve been obvious. Thanks for the quick response.

If you don’t have issues with your hub on 3.3, you likely will not have problems on 3.4 Wherever you got that information it is wrong. The issue is that the hubs are not CarPlay compatible, but will still work for AA.

But why does the info above say old version is 3.0?

NA maps are ESN locked and there is no autoinstall option on locked maps. You need to reformat.

I guess that’s his old version prior to the current one he is on.

If you also don’t have issues with car play on 3.3 then it should work on 3.4 also I think? I don’t think it was just 3.4 that started blocking hubs?

Old version, i.e. version installed when I purchased the vehicle, was 3.0.18xxx. Current version is 3.3.19052. I reformatted and upgraded to 3.3.19052 a year or two ago.

EDIT: I tried the lowest available version of 3.4 (3.4.19052?) and still had the car hub problem, unfortunately. I suspect that all 3.4.x versions expect the newer hub. In retrospect, I would have stayed on 3.0.x but didn’t know about the car hub problem when I first reformatted. Now going back to 3.0.x isn’t an option.

The hub for the Edge is $55 00 US. HC3Z-19A387-E

Media Hub, CarPlay Compatible - 2015-2020 Ford/Lincoln - SYNC 3 - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

Yep, I know that the hub is not terribly expensive (more if I have someone else install it, but still not bad). I’ve just elected not to do it.

It’s not that I have “bad info” regarding 3.3 vs 3.4. It’s because I tried it (see Need help downgrading: 3.4.x to 3.0.x). I received the “USB hubs are not recognized” error when I first tried to upgrade to 3.4.x. I tried the lowest available 3.4 version and still received the error, so went down to 3.3.19052 - no more error. I’ll probably install the upgraded hub at some point but don’t want to right now.

1 Like

Right but it’s only a error message, if you aren’t using carplay it doesn’t matter, but I don’t know if you are using carplay or not.

Yes it’s only an error message, but one that I don’t want to have pop up every (or every 2nd or 3rd) time I start the vehicle. I’m not using CarPlay so the error message only matters from the perspective of annoyance. Again, I might change my mind down the road but at the moment I’ll keep it where it is. Thanks.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.