APIM Calibration - Which files to pick?

Hey everyone,

I’ve got a 2018 Explorer that I’ve upgraded to 3.4.x with no issues.

I’d like to update the APIM to get radio logos/calm mode, but it’s very unclear to me if I need that, or which calibration level to pick. All of the guides I’ve found don’t actually say which ones to use.

Here’s the options it’s giving me, for reference this is a 2018 Explorer with Nav in north america.

Thanks in advance!

have you read Updating Sync 3 APIM Firmware Using FORScan 2.4.x Release
I did this twice, the first time I bricked the APIM. The second time I followed these instructions and was successful.

2 Likes

Nowhere in that guide does it say which files to pick though.

It simply says “After you have downloaded the current files, then download the Custom files for the upgrade”

What custom files?

What is even more odd, is that this APIM shows has having

Strategy (F188): HB5T-14G374-CA (Which is correct, “3.0 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2017-Pre-2018.5, H thru Early J Series”)

HB5T-14G375-CA (NON-NAV)

The Calibration should end in D*? This is a USA factory nav unit.

Forgive me for something that may seem simple for someone who has done this a thousand times, but again that doesn’t tell you which files to use. It’s a list of the production releases.

There is explicit information missing from both the guide and that page on what to go to or which versions of strategy/calibration are supported by which APIMs.

It looks like the newest prod release is “3.4 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2021+ L Series)”? Are those the files I want?

The files you want to use are dependent on the purpose of the upgrade. Most units do not need to be upgraded unless there is a desire for a particular feature or the desire to jailbreak the unit.

In your case with a J series APIM, this unit is a Pre-MY18.5 with production firmware.

3.0 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2017-Pre-2018.5, H thru Early J Series)
(Originally Found On 2017/Early 2018 Units That Ship with 2 USB Ports on Back)
Secondary Boot Loader: GB5T-14G376-AA
Strategy (F188): HB5T-14G374-CA
Calibration (F124): HB5T-14G375-DA or HB5T-14G375-FA (NAV) / HB5T-14G375-CA (NON-NAV)
ECU Configuration/Sound Profiles (F10A): GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU Configuration/Illumination Strategy (F16B): HB5T-14G379-BA

To run Sync 3.4, it would be advisable to upgrade the unit to the MY18.5 firmware. This is not mandatory but would provide the proper versioning of firmware for Sync 3.2 and on. Below would be the minimum firmware level.

3.2/3.3 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2018.5, Late J thru K Series)
Secondary Boot Loader: GB5T-14G376-AA
Strategy (F188): 1U5T-14G374-DA (6/27/2018)
Calibration (F124): 1U5T-14G375-DA (NAV) / 1U5T-14G375-CA (NON-NAV)
ECU Configuration/Sound Profiles (F10A): GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU Configuration/Illumination Strategy (F16B): JB5T-14G379-BA (6/7/2018)

No, all APIM’s will support the firmware listed in the documentation.

You can use those files, but keep in mind that a 2018 Explorer will not support some of the features in Sync 3.4, nor was it ever meant to. It will not hurt anything to do so.

Thanks for the detail.

Are there any reasons to go to a firmware that started on 3.4 (like “3.4 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2019, Later K Series)”) over the 3.2/3.3 one you said was the minimum?

In either case, any chance they can be provided?

Unless you are looking to do advanced modifications like jailbreaking the APIM, there is really no reason to go beyond the 3.2/3.3 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2018.5, Late J thru K Series).

See your PM…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 10 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.