Auto - Day - Night Mode

Yes, please do. I know there’s a bunch of videos that show replacing it and I just looked at on for a Fusion. Seems straight forward but I will weigh my options. Next time when my wife breaks her wrist in the middle of a master reset, I will make her wait until it’s done. (Just kidding.)

OK, based on the vehicle and region:
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Fusion SEL
Vehicle Year: 2020
Vehicle Region: NA

I would recommend a replacement APIM K-series (2019), like a KL3T-14G370-PCH (KU5T-14G371-CDF). This will remove the limitation of not being able to reformat. You will need an APIM and screen combination, you cannot use the existing hardware. This is an example of what you are looking for. (I have no affiliation with anybody selling things).
APIM and Screen (Don’t pay more than $400):
[SYNC 3 18-21 Ford F150 F250 8" Screen APIM Module Navigation OEM JC3T14G370ACH | eBay](https://www.ebay.com/itm/SYNC-3-18-21-Ford-F150-F250-8-Screen-APIM-Module-Navigation-OEM-APIM Only (Don’t pay more than $300. You will need to source a screen.):
JC3T14G370ACH-/265720113110?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c4#viTabs_0)
19 FORD F150 SYNC COMMUNICATION CONTROL MODULE KU5T14G371CDF | eBay
Pay attention to the screen condition and ask about wear.
If you see the case has 2 USB ports, this is NOT a 2019 unit, but a remanufactured unit relabeled as such. 2019 unit have 1 USB port only.

Warning: DO NOT buy APIM units that ship from China, as these are remanufactured older units and are usually counterfeit. Buy from a reputable seller, like on eBay or the like, and make sure they will allow returns. eBay has protection for this…

However, this is important: You will lose all support from Ford on updates for Sync and maps.
This might not be a factor if you did not subscribe to the map upgrades and pay the fees for the maps. But you can use this site and the Syn3 Updater to upgrade those…If Ford replaces the APIM (for a fee) then you will likely keep the OTA functions for at least the Sync upgrades. You may have to subscribe to the map updates and pay a fee for those.

In reality this is a choice based on cost as the APIM is probably not repairable at this point, so this is up to you to decide on the course you take.

I got in touch with a different ebay source and he said “For a 2020 you will need a generation 4 apim for everything to work correctly. I do sell those on eBay as well. If you need a link I can send you one!”. I believe you are basically saying the same thing plus the screen. His link: Ford Sync 3 Gen 4 Navigation APIM 3.4/2022 Maps | eBay

All K-series are a Gen-4 APIM. Like I recommended above.
The seller wants way too much for just the APIM. You can purchase a Gen 4 APIM and screen for about $400. Some are brand new, never used. Keep looking.

FYI - L-series and later (L, M, or N series) are the new eMMC storage and are not compatible with the present reformat tools. This is what you have now. K-series uses the previous release of the eMMC storage format, which is compatible with the reformat tools. A K-series will support all of the features on a 2020 vehicle.

I see in the sellers store there is a Sync 3 replacement screen listed for $249.95. Again, you can find these at a lower price. The ad does not specify the part number or vintage, but if you go this route you must make sure it is a 2019 (or 2018) screen. Be aware a Fusion is a Standard Flat mount screen. You can find info on screens here: SYNC Screen Hardware Database - CyanLabs

I am always wary of sellers who say you must have the APIM programmed by them to purchase it. Although the seller is correct that you need a Gen 4 APIM for a 2020 vehicle, the seller is mistaken that you can place these in any Sync 3 vehicle. You cannot put a Gen 4 APIM into some older vehicles which are C1CMA or CGEA 1.2 electrical architecture. The Gen 4 APIM deprecates the older architectures and will not support the older interfaces completely. Your vehicle is CGEA 1.3, so this will work natively. Also, you can run Sync 3.2 thru 3.4 in your vehicle without issues with any version of compatible maps using a Gen 4 APIM. The feature sets are defined in the firmware, not the software. You can check out this information at several websites, including FFClub.ru where the original process for reformatting and APIM transplants was developed and released.

I really appreciate all of your help. Since I have messed it up enough already and getting different suggestions on what to do next, I am afraid to keep going the DIY route and I’ll end up bringing it to Ford anyway. I also found out that the Ford dealer just off Cape Cod is less expensive than the two dealers on Cape. The service manager there also seem to be the most knowledgeable when talking about Sync. I have an appointment on the 24th and will let you know if they get it going and for how much. Again, thank you very much.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.