Can a 2020 NA 16gb APIM be converted to NAV?

Hi all, can anyone tell me if it’s possible to convert this APIM in my 2020 escape to NAV? I already have a 2020 NAV APIM on order but it is a major pain to get to the APIM.

Here’s the interrogation:

Sync Version: 5U5T-14G381-ED
APIM Model: LU5T-14G371-BKC
APIM Type: Non-Navigation
APIM Size: 16GB
APIM Free Space: 7.0G
1/24/2021 9:56:45 PM +00:00

Partition Type = Free / Total
/fs/Nuance/ = 5.8M / 1.7G
/fs/Nuance/grace = 66M / 1.2G
/fs/rwdata/ = 804M / 1.2G
/fs/rwdata/quip/ = 5.4M / 35M
/fs/rwdata/quip/ = 88M / 90M
/fs/mp/ = 142M / 1.4G
/fs/images/ = 7.0G / 10G

It is not recommended that you do this. There are a few threads on this forum about the recovery efforts of others who have, and not successfully. Swap out the NON-NAV unit with NAV and enjoy the results, you’ll be glad you did.

By the way…DO NOT use the reformatter on that unit. (LU5T-14G371-BKC)

Thanks for the advice, hopefully a solution will be found at some point. I guess at least I can sell the non-nav apim.

There is one simple answer, you must go with the pain and change the unit!

APIM with NAV have either 64 GB (for people that go with the right measuring system and therefor qualify for better and bigger maps) or 32 GB for those bothering the rest of the world with silly paper formats as the printer default and using nonsensical systems of measurement (BTW those silly inch, foot, miles are defined with mm, m, km – conversion errors included).

Well you could keep the old APIM AliExpress has a board with 32 GB you could exchange, if it works it will be the cheapest way 40,60 USD, there is a sale with 30 % off. Will be even more pain, you have to open the Sync, replace one board and don’t know if it really works.

It should be noted that none of these “maps” deserves to be called a map. Real maps use the MGRS, have a scale of 1:50,000 or better and you can find every dirt road or footpath in it.

1 Like

LMFAO well played, yes unfortunately like @NutztCyanlabs says you can’t UPGRADE to nav but you can replace hardware.

Okay, So I got the 2020 nav APIM and it won’t power on with a chinese simulator, is this expected?

LB5T-14G371-MCK

Should work fine, unless your emulator is broken

I had the same issue, from my understanding it’s cause the APIM is in LIN mode, needs to have the AsBuilt changed, it stills reads via ForScan

Thanks for the information. I will pull it in soon and I will take pictures so you can share the pain.

Got it out and in, took about 2-3 hours, this is what all had to come out to get to the APIM on a 2020 escape, I plan to write a how-to on the escape forum at some point. Anyways, despite not working on the simulator, it worked fine in the escape and locked onto satellites no problem.

1 Like

Awesome, glad you got that in and working. Enjoy.

Here’s the guide I made: https://www.fordescape.org/threads/how-to-upgrade-replace-your-apim-to-add-navigation-hint-buy-a-new-car-instead.116819/#post-1152715

1 Like

Well done. Ford made this one a challenge.