How long it takes to update the system?

Hi guys, I am planning to update my system from Sync 3 to latest one. How long usually it takes to update? I have Mondeo MK5 from 2016. I read somewhere it’s around 4 hours? Read also it takes less than 1 hour :confused: Can I drive while it’s updating? What if car is turns off while updating, will it be issue or will just continue to update? Thanks!

SYNC Region: Europe

Navigation Variant: Yes

Install Type: Stock (Original Unit)

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

New SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: Official Ford

Syn3 Updater Version:

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read:

Syn3 Updater Log File

About 35 min for me in the US with maps. I hear the EU maps can take quite awhile if you are in Europe.

About an hour (a bit less actually), since you need to reformat. (we are assuming you have not MY20 components)
For those that can’t reformat, can take 2-3 hours.
And yes, you can drive the car while doing it, but you won’t have an operative unit (no audio).

1 Like

Thanks for the response. I updated from 2 something version via official update to 3.0.20204. How I can know do I have MY20 components? If I have it will take longer? Yes I am in Europe and would like to update to the latest F11 maps. If something goes wrong can I revert to this 3.0.20204? My car is from 2016 (Mondeo) if it helps :slight_smile:

Short answer: the only 100% certain method is for you to unmount the unit and check the stickers both on the Screen and APIM.
The longer answer is a bit complicated.

If you have it you can’t upgrade to 3.4 since reformat is required to go from 3.0.x to 3.4.x and you can’t reformat a MY20/+…

No, as clearly stated in the tutorial.

Since your car is MY16, it can only have MY20 components if the unit has been serviced in the near past. If it’s stock, you are good to go.

1 Like

Thanks, I bought my car month ago and in service history did not see it’s being worked on unit, so I believe it’s stock :slight_smile: As I am in Europe, need 32GB stick, will unit have enough storage? Any issues with space on unit itself? Any recommendation for USB stick, for example will Kingston data traveler work? Here is and image of Sync version :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please read the tutorial and instructions → Easily Update SYNC 3 Using Our Automated Method - CyanLabs since most of the things you are asking are covered there.

About USB device recommendation, Kingston is a quality brand, so I would give it a go.

1 Like

Since we didn’t hear back from you in almost a week and assuming no more assistance is required, I’m closing the thread.

2 Likes