How to downgrade SYNC3 APIM back to 4.3 inch non-touch?

I work at Phoenix Automotive. A couple of years back we found this website and updated software of some SYNC3 APIM we used for bench testing with the method mentioned. Now, we need to revert one of them to 4.2" software. That’s why I need help here. It’s not ‘not coming clean’. Do I need to include these ‘context’ to ask the question? At least I did not think so.

Anyway, if you want more detailed story, here it is. The ones we updated a couple years back were 8 or 4 inch non-Nav APIM. Here are the files I used. I might be wrong, but I remember I got them on this website:
USB1: Dropbox - usb 1 - Simplify your life
USB2: Dropbox - North america without nav - Simplify your life

Then there is another folder to update to 19274 which I might have used:

Then, we did not have the need to do any update for a couple of years, until days ago when we need a 4" APIM as well. Obviously, how the update is done has changed, but after I got the files several days ago, I thought I could do the update by revising the relevant files in 19274 update folder accordingly. Obviously not. That’s the mistake I made. I should have asked how to use those files instead of making assumptions. So, only the Autoinstall.lst and reformat.lst are files I revised. Other folders in this comment were downloaded probly from this website.

Thank you for the details.

But you need to remember that all people here are completely blind to what you have done in the past to the unit. I mean, it’s clear to you since you are the one that performed the work on the unit, but to everyone else, it’s just bits and pieces of information and links to random files with no context. Giving more details gives us information to know what the unit has been through, hence increasing the chances of giving actual good advise.

One way this could had been avoided is by manually creating an autoinstall.lst file with the proper Sync3 4 inch version, no reformat, nothing. That’s what’s been said before, so it was a bit odd to see a full reformat file pointing to “strange” files.

Try what @F150Chief said just before to see if the power cycle changes anything.
Also, do you have a picture of what kind of “splash screen” the unit shows before presenting a black screen?.

Is this unit benched?, or installed on a car?.

1 Like

It’s more that more context makes things clearer, no problem with you working at Phoenix Automotive, just all seemed a bit weird, you provided a random dropbox link with 1 apps package and a invalid lst collection.

EDIT: i do agree with F150 though, surely this is due to the asbuilt not being updated to reflect the 4" OS?

We did all those updates on the bench. It’s just boot screen. Then the brightness changes a bit before it goes dark completely. Certainly I tried cutting power and powering it up again a couple times, but always got the same result. Will try to get a video in a bit.

Post your asbuilt

So, to summarize.

• even though you created a reformat and autoinstall file, since the autoinstall one is read while a sync3 system is operational, that should be ok. Reformat.lst won’t be read since you didn’t install the reformat tool
  • from what you are saying, it started updating but somehow failed. Was this an unattended operation?. Because you mentioned that at some point it went black, but we are uncertain if the process failed, got interrupted or just cut off?
  • Also, you said “restarted the car”, but you just said this was all done while the unit was benched. So what is it?, connected to a car or a bench?. I’m asking because some cars may shutdown the under some scenarios.

I went to do other things after seeing “updating…” on top of screen and came back to a dark screen. Then I cut the power of the bench tester and then powered it on again. I said ‘restarted the car’, for I thought it’s the same effect without stating bench to confuse. I don’t remember if I still left the usb connected after turning it off.
Here is the link to the video of how it behaves now:

We bought the APIM on eBay a couple years ago. I don’t think we can get the VIN.

Not sure when i asked for the VIN? i asked for the asbuilt, this can be grabbed many ways.

1. ForScan
  2. Interrogator Log
  3. from VIN

Your asbuilt needs to be set to the stock Ford splash screen and stock Ford theme, and you need to connect a 4.2" screen to it so it uses the proper video drivers on boot.

Really odd. I connected the APIM to a Ford car with 8 inch screen trying to get asBuilt file with Forscan. It booted up and displayed 4 inch UI on the 8 inch screen. Later I tested on the bench and it worked as well. Not sure if the communication from the car changed anything on the APIM. I did not change anything with Forscan and did not found the asBuilt file I thought I saved.

Anyway, please let me know what is the correct way to use the files you mentioned. Like this one:
5U5T-14G381-FZ

Are you deleting the profile in Forscan and starting a new one when you connect it? If you dont it will still show the blocks for the old Modules.

I did not delete old one, but I did not choose to load them during startup as well.

Placing a 4" screen with the FCIM on the APIM and booting would have done the same thing. Your test setup is missing commands for the screen, which are part of the startup routine in the vehicle. Same function as turning the screen off via a button on the FCIM like the Expeditions have. All it does is toggle the screen on or off. I don’t know the command set, you’ll need to sniff a vehicle and find it.

What you needed to do to go from an 8" to 4" screen, is just use the Sync app 4" file, in this case 5U5T-14G381-FZ, in just an autoinstall file as you did above, but not using the reformat file.

autoinstall.lst:

Item1 = 5U5T-14G381-FZ_1652218673000.TAR.GZ
Open1 = SyncMyRide\5U5T-14G381-FZ_1652218673000.TAR.GZ
Options = AutoInstall

The app file, 5U5T-14G381-FZ, goes in the SyncMyRide folder on the USB, the autoinstall.lst in the root of the USB.

The issue here was not the app installation, but the hardware setup.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.