Install Proxmox on a Hetzner Dedicated Server with 1 IP using SDN and without KVM using QEMU

Discussion topic for Install Proxmox on a Hetzner Dedicated Server with 1 IP using SDN and without KVM using QEMU

Difficulty: Intermediate

Going from the Hetzner Rescue System to Proxmox with only 1 IP, full DHCP, no KVM Console access and port forwarding all in one easy to follow guide

Originally published at: Install Proxmox On A Hetzner Dedicated Server With 1 IP Using SDN And Without KVM Using QEMU - CyanLabs

1 Like

Hi,

some quick notes:

The lines

iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 123.123.123.123 --dport 443 -i vmbr1 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.10:443
iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 123.123.123.123 --dport 80 -i vmbr1 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.10:80

are incorrect if you follow the previous instructions. It should be vmbr0 on both lines.

Small typo in the following lines:

post-up iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 123.123.123.123 --dport 443 -i vmbr1 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.10:443
post-ip iptables -t nat -A PREROUTING -p tcp -d 123.123.123.123 --dport 80 -i vmbr1 -j DNAT --to-destination 10.0.0.10:80

Second one should be post-up as well obviously.

After adding the iptables prerouting part, I am not able to reach my container. I can get out allright. I wonder why i can’t reach it though. At first I thought it might be that ip forwarding must be activated, but changing that didn’t help.

I figured it out btw. The problem was (as always) the Hetzner firewall :upside_down_face:

Thank you for the tutorial.

Hello and thanks for that awesome tutorial, now i have a question, can SDN be used to assign IPv6 address to VM’s, as hetzner /64 IPv6 can be useful for some projects, thanks in advance.

Thanks, will update the guide

Hi, is this for UEFI or legacy BIOS?