IPMB

Hi,

I have a 2020 Explorer XLT. I am attending to add features that weren’t originally on the car retroactively.

One of those things is a 360-degree camera system. When running a scan on Forscan, I notice that the IPMB is not being recognized.

Is the IPMB something that can be added to the car if I were to purchase one? If so, does anyone know the location of the IPMB module?

It can be added. I added 360 cameras already on my Expedition. All you need is CGEA 1.3 and it was added to the Explorer starting in 2016.

Ok cool. How can I get or see if I have CGEA 1.2?

I fixed my typo. You have CGEA 1.3 so don’t worry about it.

1 Like

Alright thanks.

How can I go about locating an IPMB in my car? I’m willing and able to dismantle my car a bit

I don’t think and 16-19 Explorer have an IPMB. I am not sure if an F150 or Expedition IPMB will work. It could come down to if the GWM knows where to send the signals also. Calibrations in the ABS, GWM, BCM and other modules could also be a game stopper. I know they have front camera’s in Explorer’s which if you have will be a big help. I will share some schematics of an Expedition so you get the idea of how it is wired.

Thanks for this!

Also, around 2022 they changed to the coaxial type of wiring for the 360 cameras. A bit harder to wire these if you don’t have access to a donor harness.

Yea, that was my main thing in accomplishing this. Sourcing the wiring and the IPMB for the camera system

Yea it’s not easy and kind of spendy. I ended up buying all new wire harnesses for the doors. I than dissected a main harness for the wiring and pins. The only way I could get Camera’s with all the parts was to buy the whole mirrors. Would have been some much easier if these sellers sold the pigtails with things.

I wanted it to look exactly like OEM.

Oh I know the Mirrors cost $500 used to $800 new from ford.

I do have an aftermarket 360 camera system that I’m attempting to get working from AliExpress. It came with front parking sensors and a 360 camera system.

My issue is the 360 camera system isn’t turning on and I’m trying to diagnose if it’s because I don’t have the IPMB installed on my car or if the aftermarket control module is bad

Hard to say on those aftermarket systems. I know setting the APIM to 360 will not make it work with the aftermarket stuff. If they are all standard camera inputs they might work fine with the Ford IPMB.

Yea I’m trying to troubleshoot and if getting a used Ipmb would even work

I did some digging earlier in the passenger footwell, I noticed the (Parking Aid Module) only had one of the plugs in it. And on the opposite side of the passenger footwell there was a taped off connector that looks like it may fit in the PAM.

Does anyone think that these connectors go together ? They are both 12 pin connections but the connector doesn’t quite fit the PAM

That is probably a CanBus splice. Don’t mess with it. Good for splicing into the networks though. The cap actually has wire in that connect all of the lines together. If you remove it, you will get communication errors on those busses.

I kinda figured it was there for a reason lol

Is there a specific location where the IPMB would live? I see under pictures it is in the same location as the Parking Aid Module.

If that is the same location for both, are there seperate wiring harnesses that are needed for each?

Well the PAM lives inside the BCM usually. This diagram says the PAM lives in the IPMB. I don’t have access to oasis right now so this is the best I can do…

Yea, it appears some cars are equipped with the PAM or the IPMB but not both. I am just wondering if they are interchangeable with the wiring that’s in it or if I would need a whole new harness.

In the Ford workshop manual, they have two different explorers, one with the 360 system and one without

Thats kinda what I gathered also by looking at the diagram. I just made my own piggyback harnesses and wrapped them in the black cloth tape.

Wonder if you can look at the pinouts and see if it is the same plug for both. The F150’s and Expedition are same plugs but different modules between TBA only and 360 camera’s.

After looking at my car equipped with a PAM the pin connector has 10 pins and is dual stacked so a total of 20

The Ipmb’s that I’m looking from pictures have 13 pins for a total of 26. So I would have to find the wiring to see which wires go where

I noticed that a 2018-19 F-150 audio/video control module has the same 20 pins as my current PAM wiring.

I’m wondering if I could use a 2018-19 F-150 audio/visual control module for my car or if that would cause issues