No GPS signal after updating from 3.2.18124 to 3.4.21098

@SaNdMaN
Thanks for your reply, i attached the logfile to the first post of me.
Sorry, that i missed that.

You’re right that this was reformat mode, i just read somewhere downgrade.

The car is not imported, fabricated for Germany.

1 Like

Thank you for the log.
Strangely, every seems ok with that, you selected the correct versions and installed maps.

I asked if the car was imported because maybe you had a custom or “altered” unit that was originally from another geography, then by selecting EU it would “break” it, but that does not seem to be the case.

So if I understand correctly, all maps are there, but you can’t just get gps fix, right?
I wonder if you just had an unlucky hw error with the GPS antenna, unrelated to what you did…

Was the NAV working WITH gps fix?. In my car at least, it does not need GPS lock to navigate, but it can show “no gPS”.

Yes, the maps are there and i can calculate any route i want.
It’s just not getting any GPS signal and the voice at the navigation says “Please drove to the starting point”. Even if we do so, nothing happens. After a time a crossed GPS icon is displayed at the maps.

We are new to Ford cars and Cyanlabs / Updating maps.

I found a key combination in the web to enter a hidden settings menu. (press “cancel call” + “next track”)
At this point, there is some kind of informations about the whole system.
Under the satellite informations i read an entry called “No Gps fix”.

What is the GPX Fix?
How can i enable/install it?

As i wrote in the first post my sister told me, that navigation/GPS was working fine at the previous version of Sync (3.2.18124).

Maybe i should reinstall the 3.4.21098 again?
Trying other version?
Any way to get back to old version, because Syn3 Updater doesn’t show the old 3.2 versions?

Thanks for help!

You can’t go to 3.2 with Syn3Updater, there’s a 3.3 build you could try. But to be honest I would not think that changing Sync3 would affect GPS lock.

Are you 100% sure that before updating Sync3 the car had actual GPS lock?.

As said before, you can actually try another build, but I would no go to 3.3 since it’s an old build.

1 Like

I have seen the GPS start working again going back to 3.3.19052. Yes it is old, but if that is what it takes, 3.3 is not so bad.

@am1,
Just use autoinstall mode to downgrade to 3.3.19052 if you like to see if the GPS works on that version. Remember to perform a master reset and power cycle the vehicle after you downgrade.

Run the APIM Interrogator Tool before you downgrade and post the results here.

Hello guys,

Seems to be a common issue here. I’m using Ford Fusion 2016 with APIM 3.4, 21020 and facing absolutely the same issue. The icon says no GPS however it works. The APIM came from a UK based Ford EcoSport MCA 2019, with EU maps and I never did any reformat to update it to the latest version. I’ve faced this issue twice since the 3.2 update. Currently I confirm that both builds (21020 and 21098) have this issue at place. I’ve attached my current ASBUILT data, maybe it will help to figure out this. It would be interesting to know that I can see satellites and their signal when I enter test mode. One of the previous 3.4 release already had this issue before, but it got fixed next time I updated it. The funny thing is that GPS used to work fine for the first month or so after the update to 21020 was done, then I slightly edited APIM’s ASBUILT and noticed that no gps icons began to appear.

@SaNdMaN
Yes, i’m 100% sure that GPS worked witht he 3.2.18124!

@F150Chief
Thanks, i need to contact my sister first, because i had to do this by remote instructions than.
Takes a while, but i’ll reply a.f.a.p.

@JoSS
So which version works with GPS to you?
A friend of mine has a Focus ST-Line MY21 with working GPS on 3.4.20136.
My dad has a Ford Tourneo Custom (Transit) MY20 with working GPS on 3.4.20196.
Maybe you can try one of these.

Btw…
Ford officially released SYNC3_3323500412_Update.zip which seems to be 3.4.21020?

As far as I remember, 3.4.20196 worked fine for me too. Then I updated to 3.4.21020 and a month later it began to bring problems with GPS. However a month it was working fine, till I began my APIM forscan edits.

I have a roof mounted GPS by the way, it makes cense since your Focus and Transit might have other types of GPS.

Not really a practical solution but:
I faced this issue tw times now.

1. case:
    Did Upgrade on a 18.5 by reformat method. NoGPS

Downgrade to 3.3 > GPS fine
Updated to 3.4 21098 by autoinstall (SAME stick/file) > GPS fine

1. case
    Customer did go to 21098 by autoinstall himself

Downgrade to 3.3 > GPS fine
Updated to 3.4 21098 by autoinstall (SAME stick/file) > GPS fine

So sometimes, for me always up to now, issue was fixed by downgrade/autoinstall
Still wired issue.

Also I want to point out, that in TESTING SETTINGS GPS Signal and Position was empty/no signal

1 Like

This is exactly what I have seen and usually works to fix the issue. Sometimes not, but those were due to wiring or antenna. Like you say, the Testing Settings is usually blank.

Re-opened topic…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 3 days. New replies are no longer allowed.

Hey @F150Chief , @SaNdMaN ,

i attached the APIM Interrogator Log from the 3.4.21098.

https://asbuilt.cyanlabs.net/?filename=1624908284.xml

Is there something wrong with?

Kind regards
Alex

Sync_LX9600CX_WF0NXXGCHNJB49450.xml (11,2 KB)

I don’t see any reason that the GPS would not be working as far as the APIM asbuilt is concerned. I suggest you downgrade to 3.3.19052 and see if the GPS works there. If it does, try upgrading again to 3.4.21098 and see if it continues to work or fails again.

WOHO! :smile:

After downgrading to 3.3.19052 the GPS started working again!

THANKS!!!

I wanted to prepare now the USB stick with the latest version, but my sister was asking me, if it’s possible to have a “black background” like she has on 3.3.19052 now, because on 3.4.xxxx all is getting a little blue.

The black background/tabs are adjustable by setting display settings to night mode.
Here a screenshot how it looks like:

1 Like

You can get close to it with 3.4 by setting it to night mode also. It’s not black but it is dark.

Before you update 3.4, run the APIM Interrogator Tool and post the results here. This will also make sure you have a good copy of the settings, etc., in case the GPS does not work and something could have changed. It is very unlikely this would happen, but I’ve seen strange things from years of working with Sync.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

@am1

If you are updating to the latest version, and the GPS fails, can you make an adjustment in FORScan on the APIM?

Go to 7D0-06-01 *xxx. At that value, you have an ‘8’. Change this to ‘4’ and check to see if GPS works. Give it time, probably 15 minutes and a key cycle. If it does not work, set it back to ‘8’ and check to see if GPS works. Give it time, probably 15 minutes and a key cycle.

I am tracking this down and have found that the Internal Gyro system may be an issue.

Thank you.

1 Like

Hm, it’s an interesting idea. Sounds good. I’ll give it a go today and will report the results, thanks! What’s that Gyro responsible for? I also have the 8 bit there.