Ordered a SYNC 4 APIM, lets see what happens once it arrives!

You are not going to get the climate control to work, only the home screen parts like heated seats etc.

Mine does, my config for my fiesta is in our discord server

yup, asbuilt, again i have this removed on my config on our discord server

Not sure if it helps, but these guys have successfully implemented Sync 4 into Edge, and assure everything works as it should: Электрик FORD Винница on Instagram: "Встановлення Сінк 4 замість Сінк 3 Ford edge 2019 , або операція впіхнуть невпіхуємоє , но нам це вдалось . 2 дні роботи , і комар носа не підтопить , весь функціонал системи працює в повному обсязі"

Any Updates or progress?

Finally installed my Sync 4 NAV APIM in my 2018 F150 and it kind of works after dialing settings in with UCDS. A few observations where I stopped for now:

• Nav doesn’t appear to allow any options configuration, destination, etc. The map is accurate and shows where I am, but any settings buttons are greyed out. Tried in accessory mode and with truck running.
  • As mentioned by others, Wifi doesn’t work/won’t find any networks, as it is most likely looking for the TCU to perform that function.
  • Wireless CarPlay doesn’t work. My phone pairs just fine via Bluetooth but CarPlay options bounce me back out to the previous menu when I try to access them. Guessing this is related to the Wifi issue above, as I’ve read once upon a time that wireless Carplay utilizes Bluetooth and Wifi to perform the connection.
  • The Bluetooth pairing to my phone appears to be lost after an APIM reset. May be related to the issues above.
  • SiriusXM works great with a newer style (2019 MY) ACM. The stock 2018 MY ACM played the default channel, but all of the preset options didn’t work and I couldn’t move through any channels. Not a big deal to me as I want to have the newer ACM in there anyway.
  • Climate temp change not reflected on screen (indicator doesn’t move with physical knob)
  • Rear View Camera settings menu only available if the “Features” tab is enabled. This is more of a personal preference as RVC settings was the only thing left in the Features tab for my trim level. Would prefer it in another menu like Sync 3.

I’m guessing half of these can be fixed with the right config, this was just my first pass and it looks promising. I’m going to be adding HS4 CAN to my truck in the next few weeks along with an HS4 CAN TCU. I figure it can’t hurt, although I don’t know if it will help any where Sync 4 is concerned.

As a side note, I still can’t get Forscan to connect to the APIM, even using the very latest test builds. If anyone has a profile from a vehicle with Sync 4 they’d be willing to share, I’d like to try that.

My carplay works fine so it’s not relating to that.

If i use a profile it doesn’t work still, as it deems the profile too different to my car and just uses a new profile instead.

You are barrytone on the F150Forum?

There are some asbuilt parameters that will fix some of the issues above in your post. The FORScan connection has to be done with a new profile as there is not a valid configuration for the trucks.

1 Like

As for Wi-Fi, I believe there is a configuration parameter that tells the APIM if it is in a non-TCU environment and it will then use its own Wi-Fi to connect to networks, etc. If you are going to be adding HS4 and a new TCU then this likely won’t matter though.

1 Like

Thanks for posting the CAN code, I added it to my stm32 project (GitHub - EtoTen/stm32_can_sim: Send simulated CAN BUS messages to turn on a Ford Sync 3.x APIM for bench testing)

Assuming full message was this and that you left off the last 0x00
{{0x044},{0x88, 0xC0, 0x0C, 0x10, 0x04, 0x00, 0x02, 0x00}}, //sync4 turn on

Is that correct?

Yep, that’s me.

I realized after posting that the climate temp is a non-issue, as that’s not present on Sync 3 for my trim level anyway. That one is an easy fix.

Based onavdonr’s post, I may try toggling “TCU Present” to off and see if that resolves/begins to resolve the other issues.

I’m good using UCDS, just prefer the Forscan UI so was hoping to be able to utilize that at some point.

Guessing that is the “TCU Present” parameter? Hadn’t thought to try Disabling that, but worth a shot.

I did find a 21 TCU, so I’ll plan on doing some testing with that after I get HS4 implemented and find the correct connectors to get it hooked up.

1 Like

won’t make any difference, well it didn’t for me atleast.

That does not seem to do anything. I suspect that since there is no TCU and the ethernet connection that supports the TCU is missing, it’s a moot point. The 2021 TCU for the Sync 4 installations uses Ethernet, not HS4-CAN, to communicate via the newer GWM-A with ethernet support. (But you know this, you posted the docs about the ethernet networking.)

Thoughts on the points you mentioned above…
As far as the NAV, on your truck this will be subscription based. However, you will never be able to activate the subscription with Ford due to the VIN and ESN mismatch, and the fact that you do not have a 2021 GWM. (Ethernet via TCU.) In the NAV equipped Sync 4 vehicles, all the mapping info and GPS positioning come thru the TCU.

WIFI is a backup to the TCU, generally, in a Sync 4 installation with TCU. So, turning off the TCU Present setting would seem like it should work. (But according to Ford, just for regular updates, not maps, etc.)

After a master reset, all phones, etc., are lost. Sync 2 and 3 were the same.

Yep.

Did you have the 2018 ACM installed with Sync 4? There is a setting for X40 and Legacy Messaging that can be set to make this work. It’s the opposite of putting a late 2019+ ACM into my 2015 F150 Platinum with a Sync 3 Gen 4 APIM to make SiriusXM 360 work.

Maybe I missed it, but I don’t see anything in the Ford documentation that specifically says this. There is mention of the Ethernet being used for updates, but not that it only utilizes Ethernet.

At the end of the day, if this is in fact the case, I don’t see much effort in pursuing implementing Nav Sync 4 APIMs, as they’ll never work for NAV. As much as I’m not a fan of the Infotainment company, they seem to have functioning Nav in a non-21 vehicle.

This was not a master reset, just a module reset/hard reboot.

I tried the 2018 ACM, with both X40 settings and got the same result. There is no Legacy Messaging option in UCDS for Sync 4 that I can see.

1 Like

Good to know…

Yeah, there isn’t so I’m guessing that the older hardware wouldn’t work. Not a big deal since it is feature limited anyways. I was thinking Sync 3, still trying to separate the kids…!

A module reset doesn’t remove my bt pairings

Sync 4 updates information FYI…
As of Dec 13, 2021, OTA update for Sync 4 has been released. (or about there…)

OTA update 1.7 was discontinued (pulled) until a fix could be published for issues with the update over OTA. TSB 21-2310, dated 11 Oct 2021, outlines issues with Sync 4 (APIM) that are addressed from the initial release and subsequent updates. Once the OTA updates expire they become manual updates at the dealer. Every update sent out is available through FDRS. The APIM and GWM can be updated via USB created by FDRS.

Be aware that it is mandatory that the GWM be updated BEFORE the APIM update is applied, although for Sync 4 retrofits this is a moot point. However, the lack of a GWM when retrofitting Sync 4 will result in a reduced feature set due to missing permissions for various services, as the GWM now controls the permissions for OTA services.

Here is the TSB from Oct 2021:
TSB 21-2310.pdf (1.1 MB)

The TSB lists the following issues/concerns:

• Audio settings resetting after a key cycle
  • Android Auto connection concerns
  • Sirius presets missing more than three pages after a key cycle
  • Information and entertainment screen freezing/locking up
  • Pro-Power Onboard messaging confusion after a tripped circuit breaker (F-150 only)
  • Wi-Fi keyboard defaulting to UK English
  • WMA files not playing properly from a USB device
  • Intermittent blank information and entertainment screen
  • Apple CarPlay connection concerns
  • Bluetooth connectivity concerns

Also of note: A new Sync 4 Asbuilt Database has been added to the CyanLabs Asbuilt Database section.
AsBuilt Databases - CyanLabs

The campaign has been cancelled.

Here are the latest Sync4/TCU files included in the campaign.

Thank you Livinitup for the info…