Ordered a SYNC 4 APIM, lets see what happens once it arrives!

2 Likes

Yup I didn’t realize when mounting this about the orientation. I guess I have to tear all of this out again. Thanks guys. This was my boneheaded move

I looked at the coding to see if it could be done, be not optimistic. The values will not support the needed 180 degree settings needed to make it work upside down. Sorry.

Got the APIM flipped around and wouldnt you know it works like a charm now. Thanks for the help guys again this was just me not paying attention to what I was doing.

2 Likes

Anyone have an outline of the general physical things that need to be done to get this working? I’ve read through this thread many times and a lot of things seem conflicting or confusing. I get that asbuilt changes need to be made to get features working 100%, but what actual things need to be done to even get us to be able to properly access the asbuilt?

Yes, there is some conflicting information contained in this thread, but this is a ‘living document’ and meant for folks to ask questions and find answers. The thread has evolved and does contain information not readily available elsewhere.
However, to summarize the majority of the information, I would say this:
Vehicle Architecture: CGEA 1.3 is an almost direct installation as long as the wiring is complete. CGEA 1.2 is possible but takes a little more work with the asbuilt. C1CMA vehicles cannot run Sync 4 without some type of CAN emulator installed to enable the Sync 4 APIM to boot. (There may be some progress made on this that I am not aware of at this time, but that was the state several months ago in this very thread.)
Wiring: Most likely folks will be upgrading from Sync 3 to Sync 4, even if they own a previously Sync 2 vehicle, because these are the folks who like to tinker. The proper wiring is absolutely required to make Sync 4 boot in your vehicle. Here is the wiring for the APIM connector for Sync 1 thru 4. We know from experience in this thread that the HS1-CAN and MS-CAN wiring must be removed from the APIM connector to prevent issues in the vehicle and to enable Sync 4 to boot.
APIM Connector Versions.pdf (201.5 KB)
Hardware mounting: This is probably one of the most difficult hurdles to overcome in specific vehicles. Usually this will require a custom bracket to mount the Sync 4 APIM securely in the proper orientation. Any movement of the APIM relative to the vehicle will cause navigation errors and apparent ‘jumping’ on the display.
Sync 4 APIM Type: There are 2 types of Sync 4 APIM; one for the 8 and 10" displays and one for the 12" and larger displays. These APIM’s are not interchangeable. If you are retrofitting Sync 4 into a Sync 3 vehicle with an 8-10" screen, you will need the Sync 4 APIM for this screen size. It has not been shown to work otherwise at this time.
Programming: UCDS and FORScan can communicate with a Sync 4 APIM in an older vehicle. This is supported by FORScan for more vehicles as those models are retrofitted by customers. I cannot speak for UCDS as I do not use the program, but there are a few folks here that could answer those questions.
Asbuilt Info: There is a complete Sync 4 Asbuilt Database posted here on the site. Sync 4 APIM Database - CyanLabs
This database was made by @Livnitup over at F150Forum and F150Gen14.
Note: Your Sync 3 asbuilt is not compatible with Sync 4. You can use it a a reference for the Sync 4 settings, however.

In a nutshell, retrofitting Sync 4 into a CGEA 1.3 vehicle is rather straightforward, especially 2021-22 vehicles originally equipped with Sync 3. I have helped folks convert to Sync 4 with F150’s, Mavericks, Fusions, etc., and have found that the retrofits have several things in common:
Navigation will initially not function properly, WIFI will not be functional, FordPass will not work, and you will have no sound from the radio. All of this can be overcome by settings in the asbuilt, except for some cases of the WIFI not working. The WIFI issue is not really an issue however, since the vehicle will not get any kind of updates via OTA, so it’s really kind of useless.

Speaking of updates for Sync 4: OTA updates for a Sync 4 retrofit will (probably) never work. USB updates are possible, but only through a Ford service department (or someone with FDRS). Maps updates will not be possible for Sync 4 retrofits for some time. Since you cannot get a NAV subscription for a Sync 4 retrofit, you will not be able to enter destinations, etc., into the onboard NAV system hosted by Sync, therefore, I would suggest you save the money and install a NON-NAV Sync 4 APIM and use AA or CP for your navigation.

EDIT:
UCDS does support the Mustang MACH-E with Sync 4A, so reading and writing to Sync 4 is possible.

3 Likes

That straightens some things out for me then, I am curious about it since i did a sync 2 to 3 upgrade myself so I fit into the category of tinkerer. I appreciate the detailed response. How do I know what architecture my vehicle is? (2014 US Fusion). I just didnt want to waste money on an APIM if I wasnt gonna be able to make anything happen without high difficulty.

1 Like

2013+ Fusion’s are CEGA 1.3

2 Likes

Awesome thank you.

1 Like

Only thing I would like to add to this is that USB updates are designed to be routed through the GWM and then to SYNC. I am not sure what will happen if you try to update without a GWM (I’d assume nothing). USB updates are tied to a specific VIN and the install scripts are encrypted/signed by Ford so it will be nearly impossible to replicate for a production vehicle, especially a retrofit.

OTAs are definitely a no go.

1 Like

That is the issue with USB updates on retrofits at this point, I guess, unless the GWM was changed also. FDRS does write the VIN specifically to the USB update? If this is the case, then USB updates are as dead in the water as OTA. (Someone will probably find a way…)

Thanks.

1 Like

I added a plug for a GWM on my CEGA 1.2 Explorer. You can use it but it causes problems for modules without calibrations and/or settings to use it. I am sure it would load the updates just fine though if you set the APIM to a 1.3 setting. I used it to play with the TCU info and it worked for what I was trying to do. Than you would want to disconnect it when you were done. Probably more than most people would want to do to get an update.

1 Like

That was for Sync 3 or 4?

In my case it was Sync 3. Don’t see why you could not try to do something similar with Sync 4. Of course, getting a USB update will be the hard part.

1 Like

The install script on the USB is generated specifically for a VIN and the VIN is embedded in there, so yes also pretty much as dead as OTA for now. Even if you had a GWM it would likely need to be provisioned for your VIN/vehicle in order to accept the update. I’m pretty sure that is something that can be done with FDRS under module replacement but again FDRS will probably verify the rest of the vehicle and fail as the VIN/vehicle isn’t designated for the new connected platform. Everything is tightly integrated in the new platform and the update flow is very different than SYNC 3 gen.

3 Likes

That makes sense.

That makes sense with what I have seen as far as retrofits even on new Mavericks,

2 Likes

Does sync4 have built-in GPS?
I ordered sync4 from ebay, but there is no GPS connector in the picture.

Non nav doesn’t

Infotainment released a Sync4 upgrade for 2019-2020 F150…