Ordered a SYNC 4 APIM, lets see what happens once it arrives!

I don’t believe it’s currently possible

1 Like

Has anyone already tried it? :man_facepalming:
I will write the result when I get the APIM.

External-Photos-4551412.pdf (402.0 KB)

This might be possible, but we know the other way is not. If it is possible, this would be the adjustment for the asbuilt.
Visual Design Variants/Themes (VDV)
DE02/7D0-03-01: xxxx-xxxx-**–
00=VDV 8" Landscape
01=VDV 10" Portrait
02=VDV 10" Landscape
03=VDV 12" Landscape
04=VDV 12" Portrait (Dashcard)
05=VDV 13.2" Letterscape Lincoln (Dashcard)
06=VDV 13.2" Letterscape Ford (Dashcard)
07=VDV 15" Portrait (Dashcard)
08=VDV 10" Portrait Dashcard
09=VDV 13.2" Landscape (Qt based)

Also, you will need the new 2021 GWM to make the APIM, GWM, and TCU talk. This is covered in this thread.

1 Like

I think it can be possible given the VDVs. I doubt ford will be able to get a 12 screen into every vehicle so maybe the 8" VDV will allow it.

Looking at your post above with ford cancelling the campaign is it possible we are heading back to manual updates again? please let this be so ! I dont think my 22 super duty will ever get an OTA we are the unwanted children of Sync4

If I’m not mistaken the there are 2 LVDS pairs in the 12" Connector and 1 in the 8" connector, as a bonus you also have the 12v/gnd pins in the wrong place (pins 5/6).

1 Like

Thanks for your attention. Now I also see the difference on the wiring diagrams.
Shit happens. :slightly_smiling_face:

FORScan 2.3.45 Released 2022-01-16 (Support for SYNC4 retrofit) - Ford / Other - CyanLabs Official Community

Support SYNC4 (retrofitted) for:
F-150 2016-2020 model years
Fusion 2013-2020 model years
Mustang 2015-2020 model years

Hmmm was going to retrofit sync 3.4 but seems tempting to get on the bleeding edge of things with sync 4

https://www.ebay.com/itm/255353306180
Was thinking of this as well. F150 sync4 apim.

It’s a 2014 fusion hybrid with that tiny 4in screen. I’m in 2 minds about having nav. Thinking of just going with a non nav APIM instead.

1 Like

I just retrofitted sync 4 into my 2018 fusion with an 8” display. Few things to note:

• Factory nav routing won’t work on sync 4 as it requires a provisioned cloud connection with an Ethernet equipped TCU (from my experience)
  • Don’t get the 12” APIM as there are doubts the connector will work with an 8” display (largest size you’ll likely fit in a fusion)
1 Like

Is the upgrade worth it to you? I have sync 3 w/ nav now and don’t know if a sync 4 w/o nav is really worth the hassle or not

ill try to answer this, I have sync3 in my fusion and sync4 in my Super duty. youre not missing much. this personal opinion but sync4 doesnt impress me. theres a ton of features but these are meant for the mach e and the F150. I wouldnt give up sync 3 in my fusion for sync4

4 Likes

It seems to me that Ford is just using Sync 4 to get into the Subscription based services market.

2 Likes

I feel like its simply a stop gap for them, they have already announced moving to android automotive in 2023 models. so sync4 will have had a 2-3 year run and already gone. the thing ill be more curious to see is if the android automotive software will be able to be loaded on the sync4 apim.

1 Like

Or worse, every time you drive past or stop outside a business you’ll get the infotainment system bombarding you with ad’s

I use it for wireless android auto :slight_smile:

1 Like

Gotcha, so probably not really worth the hassle of trying to force everything the work together correctly.

2 Likes

I use one of those USB modules for wireless carplay. Other than the few seconds of waiting for it to connect, it surprisingly works pretty dang well.

1 Like

Hey Everyone!

Hoping someone may be able to point me in the right direction.

2015 Lincoln MKZ with a successful previous FCIM, Sync 3 APIM and GWM install from a 2018 MKZ. I now installed the Sync 4 APIM (8" from 2021 F150, Sync 3 screen) and was able to get it to boot successfully after removing pins 53/54, however, I am unable to get ForScan to see the APIM. My FCIM appears to be completely dead now (no lights on FCIM, does not show in ForScan).

I have tried several beta versions along with latest release… No dice

Update: FCIM comes alive when I plug Sync 3 module back in so I suspect something as built related there. Still no luck seeing Sync 4 APIM in ForScan.

did you delete your profile in forscan?

I did yes. Had it load from fresh and still unfortunately did not see the APIM.