SYNC 3.4.21194 and FordPass

Yea you asked him about the OBD but he never answered you. Some Fords have 2 OBD ports. They will have one on the GWM and another normal one that gets wired in before the Gateway. Sometimes these are under the steering column behind the plastic shield where you would not see them and I would guess that’s where it is if you have this. The Edge’s are like this.

1 Like

How does SmartLink communicate? Is that BT or LTE? Or whatever…?

EDIT: I saw this…The SmartLink includes a 4G LTE modem…, letting it act as a Wi-Fi hotspot for up to 8 devices in the vehicle. It also enables remote start, lock and unlock functions, and can send alerts to a car owner via a companion web and mobile app to let them check on car healthy, and get alerts related to security and service requirements."

1 Like

LTE through the Verizon Network in the US. Not sure in the UK. They work just like a TCU for the most part. I am curious if the OP bought his car new or used as these were available in late 2018.

Assuming it’s a thing in the UK it would be Vodafone, because thats what the TCU uses.

No problems over he works fine for me remote start open en close doors tires oil everything works . Fiesta MK8 Active build 09-2021 i have Vodafone country the Netherlands.

Yes i’m sure thats right, but there’s no indication on the car so the app is the only way i’d know.

I didnt answer because i was sleeping, i work nights.

1 Like

You must have missed the reply.

1 Like

There’s nothing plugged in the OBD port.

There is no TCU in my car, The phone communicates via BlueTooth or USB.

There’s no remote start available in this country as its illegal to leave a car running unattended

Pretty sure the reason you don’t have remote start is nothing to do with our country laws but rather that it’s a manual, the car is unable to remote start incase you left it in gear.

If you are having an issue with your Fordpass it’s clear it’s just you and no one else has reported such issues, i would therefore suggest contacting your local ford dealer.

Thanks for sticking with me. Leaving a car running in GB is Illegal, however remote start doesn’t interest me anyway and wont work because i dont have a modem.

I am far from alone with FordPass issues, check the reviews on the google play store, they frankly stink, i’ve also scanned many forums for solutions, FordPass stinks. People are angry that having spent £37,000 on a vehicle you cant even check the oil life or the fuel tank level from your armchair, however it will happily sell you all amounts of crap that i’m not interested in.

I have to disagree, the app was at one point quite broken it is since working fine.

I’m still confused because if you don’t have a TCU how would you check your fuel level from your armchair?

I know some functionality is available through usb/Bluetooth but in my focus I wasn’t able to do any of this, my current fiesta st does allow me to.

1 Like

I live in Argentina, FordPass/Connect (not.sure how to call it anymore) here is just useless…
It can’t even read the fuel level, even though connecting ok to the car. So yeah, useless.

I know that you would like that to work, but oil life is just a metric based on the distance travelled / days passed since last oil change, nothing you cannot supplement with other functions of the car, or even a simple reminder on Google calendar…

It’s not like it will analyze internal engine friction and perform a lab analysis of the oil while you drive…

If you have issues and you are willing to blame Sync 3, you can always try a different build to see if that helps.

I wouldn’t even bother, but that’s up to you.

2 Likes

It has to be Smartlink. I just looked up the install instructions and the kit comes with a Y cable. I am willing to bet you don’t even realize it has a modem plugged into the Y adaptor tucked up under the dash. This would leave your OBD open and a modem is the only way Ford uses to communicate this info. It’s even part of their agreement that you consent to sharing this info so that the service is free. You can go to this site and verify it, https://cdvt.ford.com/ And yes the app really sucks for this product.

1 Like

That was part of my issue with FordPass when it did work, it showed the fuel level meter but wasn’t able to give a reading because of the lack of modem. FP used to work but its got worse with every update to the point it no longer works at all on my phone.

1 Like

The oil and tire pressures work the same way as the fuel level. You need a modem.

I am thinking that you are actually never connecting to the vehicle but are just using the app as an oil change reminder, and entering the oil changes thru the app via the service history function. Is this correct?

1 Like

Yes sir, I am using the app to monitor Oil quality, it has always worked fine until recently, the fuel level was a new introduction that has never worked, I’ve never seen tyre pressure in the app ever. I have never used the service history function, it was only ever dealer serviced once, I’ve took care of her myself ever since.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.