Sync 3 APIM Bench Test Project Completed

Do you know which module sends the car is driving signal?

Agreed, the Chinese cable, or my cable is not really meant for actual use inside a car (unless you car is so old that it does not even have the ability to work with the APIM natively). You should be able to just utilize the native functionality of your car with the help of FORScan programming and adapter harness instead of trying to hack something.

2 Likes

I can not confirm as I did not sniff it my self, but I got the CAN message for the speed/gear/rpm from this code: Flex - Front Camera via Gear Selector + Toggle Rear Camera - Pastebin.com. The original author says that ā€œMessage ID 109 is between the BCM and APIM.ā€

1 Like

I have seen that connection also, but could not confirm it. Thanks.

I got everything from a 18 mustang and updated to 3.4 and got a usb type -c hub to work.

I have seen many threads on f-150 and ford focus but non for a 14 mustang. It might be to old?

It will be very similar to a 2012 thru 2014 F150ā€¦

If you have a Sync1 especially you should be able to convert itā€¦ by changing wires in the APIM harness around. You are right though I donā€™t see anything ready made as being advertised for the <=2014 Mustang. Maybe it is due to some other limitation like no screen facia being available? Or the > 2014 facia not being a direct fit?

1 Like

Iā€™m looking for the 2014. It is not listed as Mustang, but I think itā€™s the same as the Explorer. However, the FCIM will need to be replaced with a Ford unit. $$$

Or just do thisā€¦
(1) NEW! Dynavin N7-MST2010 PRO Radio Navigation System for Ford Mustang 2 ā€“ Dynavin North America

I think you are correct. I thought the 2014 changed the FCIM, but it was 2015. A 2014 doesnā€™t even have an FCIM, it has the FDCIM, so programming will have to be by adding a 2015 profile just for it, if that would work. I would just go aftermarket at that pointā€¦

Yea I seen that and looks great but eh I wanted to try and pull of a Sync 3. it would be fine running the emulator just need to get rid of the damn motion restriction.

Ill figure something out.

thank you

Unless you are able to block the ā€˜motion messagesā€™ you will not get rid of it. And I think doing so will open a new can of worms.

The latest version 3.4.21194 has some easing of the restrictions for NAV and a few other things, but itā€™s there. Itā€™s not Fordā€™s fault, the restrictions. These are local and federally mandated restrictions ALL vehicle manufacturers have to implement, just so you know.

Dude just make my cable, it will cost you $20 in parts.

yup I will try yours. I wish i seen this sooner lol

You can also reprogram the Chinese cable with an st-linkā€¦ assuming you have a similar one to what I had. I bought one previously and had to return it due to it being a POS/not working, but not before I did a reverse engineering analysis on it :slight_smile:

yup that is the first one I got and it died then I ordered another one.

new one thatā€™s still working

Your new one is same exact hardware as my project and my my old broken Chinese cable which I returned. STM32103F for MCU and a TJA1040 for the CAN Bus IC. What I donā€™t know on yours is which pins are the SWCLK and SWDIO pins. You need those two in addition to 3v3 and GND to program it with an ā€œST-Link v2ā€. After jumpering the ā€œbootā€ pin to GND you can load my project into VS Code (open source) and it will compile and upload via the ST-Link to the MCU.

@excelsxor do you know what CAN BUS message wake Sync 4 APIM? BTW great work on your project, working great for bench testing Sync 3.

I would try the same ones as the Sync3 to start with, could get lucky. Best way to really know would be to log the messages on the Infotainment/I CAN bus with the stereo in the car and turn the ignition on/off.

Has anyone had luck with using the OBD connection with this bench testing setup? I get the message ā€œ Service procedure has been interruptedā€ at 1% (basically not even attempt to connect) when using a saved profile in Forscan and trying to connect to APIM AsBuilt. I have tried two different adapters (UCDS and OBDLink EX) and two different computers with same result. Confirmed 12v at the OBD connector and double checked the CAN wires are correct. Do I need to use an ELM327 with a physical toggle switch instead of a ā€œsmartā€ adapter?

Yes, I have successfully connected my self using ForScan and a real ELS27 from RU. I would suggest that you confirm that forscan works with an actual car.

Try swapping the high and low can bus lines going to the OBD2 port. Also, try adding a 120R resistor between the high and low can bus lines.

No reason to get a shitty Chinese clone cable, they do not work properly with the firmware update functionality in ForScan and are just generally poorly engineered.