Sync 3 from a 2019 Fusion into a 2015 Expedition (having problems)

I know this is really just a community for sync 3 updates and mods but I’m hoping someone here can guide me in the right direction. I have a 2015 Expedition Platinum that originally had the 8" sync 2. I just got a Sync 3 unit from a 2019 Fusion from a local junk yard. I went to the motorcraft as built page and used the vin from a 2017 Expedition that was similarly equipped as my 2015. After using the as built data from that 2017 there was a bunch of stuff that doesn’t work. I’m assuming the reason is that there are a bunch of extra block locations that my original sync 2 didn’t have and the as built data from the afore mentioned 2017 data that came from motorcraft’s website was also missing those extra data blocks. So, do I need to pull data for a 2018 or 2019 Expedition to have those extra blocks? I didn’t try that because the 2018 Expedition was a major model change for the Expedition. I spent a significant amount of time looking through the extensive decoding database that’s on this website and honestly, I don’t know if I know where to start. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks in advance.

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Non Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: Retrofit

Old SYNC Version: 3

New SYNC Version: 3

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
No

Update Method: Official Ford

Could you post your original APIM Sync 2 asbuilt as well as the 2017 Exop asbuilt you are using?

Standard wheelbase or extended?
Did you have NAV?

One issue you have is that the 2015 Expy is CGEA 1.2 while the 2017 Expy is CGEA 1.3, so the 2016+ model year asbuilts for Expeditions do not work directly. However, with the right adjustments for the CGEA 1.2 architecture this will work.

This is my original sync 2 as built file.
1FMJK1MT5FEF31856.ab (19.6 KB)
This is the file i tried to use from Motorcraft’s as built website Its a 2017 Expedition with nav.
1FMJK1KT2HEA41557.ab (17.6 KB)
Side note, the apim from the 2019 Fusion that I got from the junkyard that I’m trying to install in my 2015 Expedition EL Platinum is a non nav unit. So, here’s what I have.

1. My vehicle 2015 Expedition EL Platinum with nav
  2. Sync 3 junkyard unit is a 2019 Fusion non nav
  3. VIN I was trying to use from motorcraft was 2017 Expedition Limited with nav.
    To me that, as I type that, it sounds like a mess. I was hoping that I could just load the 2017 info and just turn the nav off in Forscan. I really appreciate your help!

Yes, for the most part, except for the differences in CGEA versions.

I will review the files and get back to you. It’s late here so will likely be later tomorrow morning.

Is the 2017 Expedition Limited an EL version?
Do you know the part number for the 2019 Sync 3 unit?

I’m not sure about the 2017 Expedition. Full story, I called a junkyard a few days ago that was not really within driving distance for me and they sent me the sync 3 nav unit from a 2017 Expedition that was supposed to be a grade A part. When it arrived, I opened the box, unwrapped it and the screen has several deep scratches and nicks in it and the mounting brackets were even bent. Needless to say, I’m sending that unit back for a refund. I just used the VIN from that unit, as the junkyard told me it was a fully loaded Limited Expedition. As I learn more about this apim programming process, I’ve realized that there’s WAY more to it than just picking a VIN that’s close and going with it. That all being said, after even more research I found that a Fusion unit (a non recessed screen) would work in my Expedition so I found a local junkyard that had one and since it was from a 2019 it should have the better circuit board that was a little faster and didn’t freeze occasionally. Here is the part number of the unit out of the Fusion that I’m trying to make work in my Expedition.
GR26AKS7T-14G370-BBF
I can’t even begin to thank you enough for taking the time out of your day to assist me with this issue. This is for my wife’s vehicle and I was hoping this would be an awesome Christmas present for her as she really dislikes the sync 2 screen. Thanks again!!

Don’t worry what you are doing will work. This just comes down to the right AB settings. One thing you may need to do though is get an aftermarket GPS antenna as that will be your next problem after you get the settings right. I know you don’t have nav but it still uses this for the Compass and the 911 Assist.

I assume you are using Forscan for the AB changes?

More importantly I need to see what your current AB settings are for your APIM?

I do have an aftermarket gps antenna and I also replaced the usb hub that’s in the console to the one without the SD card slot. I am using Forscan to do all of my changes. Here is the AB file from the Fusion and my original AB file is in one of my posts above.
fusion.abt (495 Bytes)

1 Like

I am looking for the Current AB configuration you are using now in the 15 Expedition.

The AB from other models don’t tell me anything except how those cars are setup. I am looking for the issue with how yours is setup. The SYNC 2 AB is no longer relevant other that a few items I can cross reference since I don’t know what options your expedition has.

I ended up putting the sync 2 unit back into my wife’s Expedition because there was way too much that wasn’t working. When I had it installed I was just using that 2017 Expedition AB file listed in one of the above posts. Some of the things that weren’t working were(but not limited to)

1.Radio wouldn’t turn on with ignition on and wouldn’t turn off with ignition off.
2.No control whatsoever of the rear climate zone.
3.No display of front climate temps.
4.Interior ambient lighting button grayed out.
5.Clock reset to 12:00 with every ignition cycle

There was no way I could leave that sync 3 unit in there for my wife to deal with having that many issues. She still has no idea I’m doing this for her. It’s going to be a surprise so I want to get all of the bugs worked out before I permanently install it. Thanks for your time and I hope everyone had a blessed and Merry Christmas.

@bill32399 @F150Chief
Would it be better if I were to replace that CGEA module to a later version or is that even possible in my 2015 Expedition? I found a post where someone changed it out in their 2014 Explorer to gain heated steering wheel control.

There isn’t a valid one since he is migrating to Sync 3 from Sync 2. Here are the files so far…

1FMJK1KT2HEA41557_7D0_APIM - 2017 Expedition (SYNC3).abt (349 Bytes)
1FMJK1MT5FEF31856_7D0_APIM - (SYNC2).abt (196 Bytes)
fusion.abt (495 Bytes)

Here are the differences between the Sync 2 and Sync 3 Expedition files.

There is no “CGEA module”, it is an electrical architecture.

This is typical for this swap but can be fixed with the proper asbuilt settings.

Edit: Here is an asbuilt for you to try when you put the Sync 3 unit back into the vehicle. This has no Nav and the vehicle parameters are taken from a 2017 Expedition EL Platinum. This is important to align the vehicle settings, so the Nav tracking and other functions work correctly. This affects CarPlay, etc.

2015 Expedition Sync 3 APIM Asbuilt.abt (349 Bytes)

After you install the Sync 3 module, let it boot completely, connect with FORScan, then load this asbuilt completely using the ‘LOAD’ button at the bottom of the screen. Once the unit reboots, perform a Master Reset. Once the unit reboots from the reset, clear all of the DTC’s and scan for new DTC’s. Take screenshots of the DTC’s if you have any, we need these to troubleshoot. Test the unit and see what doesn’t work.

Run the Interrogator Utility and post the results.

These are reference files:
1FMJK1LT3HEA64831_7D0_APIM - 2017 Expedition EL (SYNC3).abt (349 Bytes)
1FMJK1LT3HEA64831.xml (19.3 KB)

1 Like

I plan to reinstall the Sync 3 unit one evening this week. My kids have a lot of hockey practices this week so my time is limited but I’d like to get this done for my wife sooner rather than later. I appreciate your time greatly! I’ll be back in touch soon. Happy New Year!!

hi can i use ford escape 2017 sync 3 to my ford explorer 2016 sync 2? ?? can i reprogram it to cyan labS?

This has nothing to do with this thread. But your answer is Yes, Yes.

Ok, I reinstalled the Sync3 unit this evening. I followed all of your steps from the post above. I used the “2015 Expedition Sync 3 APIM Asbuilt” file you linked and installed it via FORScan using the “load” button. I performed a master reset and then scanned for DTC’s. The only DTC present was the one for my missing rain sensor on my windshield. Other than that, nothing else present. The things I noticed that were not working were as follows:

1. Unit does not automatically turn on or off with ignition on/off. In fact the screen itself never goes to sleep even when I manually turn the power button off, ignition off and lock the doors.
  2. Front climate temps don’t display and most of the front climate controls don’t work and no control of the rear climate controls at all.
  3. The interior accent lighting button is missing from the menu screen completely.
    There could be some other issues that maybe I missed but that’s all I noticed at this time. I did run the interrogator utility and the file is posted below.

On a side note, the Sync3 unit that I spoke about in one of my posts above, that I got shipped to me from a junkyard that was out of a 2017 Expedition that arrived damaged. I did install that unit just for the heck of it to see if it worked and it actually worked almost perfectly except for the interior accent light button was grayed out and I don’t remember checking the rear climate controls. Not sure if any of that information is helpful or not. That unit was a nav unit however. If any of that asbuilt info would be helpful the VIN was 1FMJK1KT2HEA41557

Here’s the interrogation file.
Sync_WX9AFV22_1FMJK1MT5FEF31856.xml (9.9 KB)

1. You might need to change the Illumination GW Strategy to CGEA 1.2 or C1CMA.
  2. To be expected with CGEA 1.2 vehicle.
  3. Same as 2 above.

Did you pull the asbuilt from the 2017 APIM. That might help with the climate control issues.

This is that 2017 APIM asbuilt.
1FMJK1KT2HEA41557_7D0_APIM - 2017 Expedition (SYNC3).abt (349 Bytes)

Any more thoughts on my sync 3 setup? I’m pretty much at the end of my limited knowledge of how this coding stuff works.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.