TCU HJ5T Asbuilt Discussion

I tried a K downgraded to J in my 2017 C-Max (which is the same C1MCA architecture as your Escape) and the individual tire pressures never populated, just always showed as 0. Even the recommended values weren’t populated, so I think this may depend on newer module hardware and/or firmware.

I was able to get accurate odometer, tank level, location and oil life %. Also had working lock/unlock buttons but remote start didn’t work properly and the honk/flash button didn’t work at all. I think C1MCA cars need the H TCU for the most compatibility, but if you get it all fully working I’m happy to be wrong about that!

G is the same for the first line then is completely different for the data collection and reporting parameters. Placing a G series in a newer vehicle will have very limited functionality. The G series will not ‘officially’ support FordPass. I did not bother with a database for the G models as they are not desirable. Replacing them with an HU5T model is the recommended upgrade.

You are not wrong. The difference is in the alert configuration and reporting parameters, which are different from the H to the J models. The K models expand on the J models.

J*** Model Data Collection:
Alert Configuration: (Vehicle Type Dependant)
Brake Fault Alert
Charge System Failure Alert
Diagnostic Data Response Alert
Gear In Park Alert
Gear Out of Park Alert
HEV Battery Performance Alert
HEV Charge/Conditioning Alert
HEV/PHEV Battery Fault Alert
HEV/PHEV Data Monitoring Alert
Low 12V Battery Alert
Low Fuel Alert
Low Tire Pressure Alert
Master Reset Alert
Motive Mode Begin/End Alert
PHEV Motor/DCDC Fault Alert
Plug Status Change Alert
Remote Start Begin/End Alert
Sleep State Change Alert
TCU Connection Status Alert
Upgrade Status Alert
Vehicle Crash Alert
Vehicle Health Data Alert
WIFI Data Usage Alert
TCU Authorization Response Alert
Vehicle Alarm Triggered Alert
Fleet Alert Configuration:
Diagnostic Data Response Alert
Diagnostic Tool Present Alert
Diesel Exhaust Fluid/Particulate Filter Alert
Diesel Fuel Filter/Water in Fuel Alert
Diesel Idle Shutdown Alert
Driver Buckled/Unbuckled Alert
Event Recorder Alert
Excessive Idle/RPM/Speed Alert
GPS Loss Alert
Hard Acceleration/Braking Alert
Ignition On/Off Alert
Impact Event Detected Alert
Lane Keeping/Departure Alert
Passenger Buckled/Unbuckled Alert
Powertrain Active/Deactivate Alert
Reverse Gear Active/Deactivate Alert
Upfitter Status Change Alert
Vehicle Stopped/Moving Alert

HU5T Model Data Collection:
Firmware Upgrade Status Alert
Low 12V Battery Alert
Low 12V Battery Alert Clear
Low Tire Pressure Alert
Low Tire Pressure Alert Clear
Master Reset Alert
TCU Connection Status Alert
Charge System Fault Alert
Plug Status Change Alert
Battery Performance Alert Clear
Gear In Park Alert
Gear Out of Park Alert
Battery Charge State Change Alert
Battery Performance Alert
Drive Conditioning Sync Alert
Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert
Scheduler Drive Conditioning Sync Alert
Favorite Location Data Sync Alert
Charge Schedule Status Change Sync Alert
Scheduled Charge Not Occurring Alert
Charged and Drive Condition Complete Alert
Vehicle Diagnostic Data Response Alert
Method 2 Config Change Response Alert
HEV Battery Fault Alert Clear
HEV Data Monitoring Alert
HEV Data Monitoring Alert Publishing Frequency (7C7D)
User Authorization Response Alert
Provisioning Alert
Sleep State Change Alert
Vehicle Alarm Triggered Alert
Motive Mode Begin Alert
Motive Mode End Alert
Remote Start End Alert
Remote Start Begin Alert
Vehicle Health Data Alert
Low Fuel Alert

This is odd as i have a couple and they came from 2018 Ecosports

It looks like in the TCU hardware application that the older model TCU’s are used on the C1CMA vehicles, like Ecosport, Fiesta, etc. until they were remodeled to the CGEA 1.3+ standard. Those modems are meant for C1CMA legacy vehicles, and do not support the newer CGEA structure.

1 Like

Jumping in here piggybacking off some of the discussion over here: FordPass and Fusion Energi, 4G EUR TCU - Ford / Help & Support - CyanLabs Official Community

I’m curious if there’s anything in the firmware regarding ‘EV Trip Data’ (or now in the updated FordPass app it’s listed as ‘My EV Driving’) possibly indicating where it is pulling this data from? Which module? Or anything related.

My '13 C-Max has been sitting on this H TCU unchanged for a while now with basically everything working BUT the EV trip data stuff. @bakedpatato has indicated their vehicles have this working. So my brain is on a hunch being such an early model year MAYBE there’s a module/calibration difference in the vehicle somewhere interfering? I’m not sure which module this data would pull from specifically. I’ve asked for bakedpatato’s module/calibration list from ForScan to compare against to see if anything sticks out.

Adding here that my 2017 C-Max Energi doesn’t (and hasn’t ever since I installed the H TCU) record any EV trip data.

I figured it might be some difference with a DIY install versus having the dealer do the PMI, but some folks over at the cmax hybrid forum who had a dealer install don’t have anything in that section either.

Fusion Energi folks seem to have more luck getting that section to populate (both DIY and dealer-installed). Of course that’s a very different vehicle.

On my Fusion Energi I have it now but did not for awhile. It seemed to come and go with the Fordpass updates.

Yeah occasionally I see features come and go on both of my cars, no clue what’s going on lol

@Vchat20
modules.txt (5.0 KB)

I have not seen anything like that in the listing, but new firmware comes out occasionally and the indexs are not updated all the time.

You might want to compared data for the BECM - Battery Energy Control Module.

In the H TCU, version -UM, there is the Motive Mode Alerts

Address Byte Values
754-03-07 xx** xxxx xx– Motive Mode Begin Alert
754-03-07 xxxx **xx xx– Motive Mode End Alert

Thank you for checking into it. These two settings are already enabled. All of the alert settings were set to 7D per the discussion earlier in this thread and have been that way for a while. I’ll see what I can figure with the BECM though.

The BECM is a guess, but it seems like it might be logical for the data. I’ll look into if there are any settings or data for that module or if it is even relevant.

I’m pretty sure we already discussed this (maybe on discord), but I keep coming back to line 754-02-01 in the TCU as-built. That is the one difference (aside from the vehicle architecture in 754-01-01) between the official dealer-installed TCUs in the C-Max Energi and Fusion Energi.

Specifically, the bits that are different are 754-02-01 Xxxx, which for the C-Max is set to 0 and the Fusion has it set to 1. That corresponds to “Customer Connectivity Settings” disabled and enabled, respectively. Not really sure what that is. Anyone know?

The other bit is 754-02-01 xXxx, which seems maybe more relevant. In the C-max TCU that’s set to 0, which disables “Data Usage Feature Enablement”, “HEV/PHEV Data Monitoring”, “Vehicle Health Monitor” and “WiFi Hotspot Feature”. The Fusion TCU has this set to “E”, which enables DUFE, HPDM and VHM.

@bakedpatato provided us the asbuilt for his TCU when he did his DIY install and he has 754-02-01 configured like the Fusions do (1EA0). I’m not sure why exactly, but I don’t think anyone had posted the official as-built for the C-max TCU at the time he was doing his swap. But it’s interesting to me that the Fusion folks seem to have at least sporadic EV trip data, as does @bakedpatato who used the same configuration for that line. Meanwhile, the rest of us C-Max owners who swapped TCUs (DIY or dealer), are using 754-02-01 00A0 and are not getting EV trip data at all.

The wrinkle here is that I’m pretty sure I already tried setting that line of my TCU’s asbuilt to 1EA0 and didn’t see any change. But maybe that value needs to be set when the car is first authorized with FordPass? I’m not sure I’ve tried completely resetting my TCU and re-adding to my Ford account since changing that line in the TCU.

Anyway, could be a red herring, but it does strike me as at least something to rule in or out. Thoughts?

Edit: I screwed up the address–it’s 754-02-01. Fixed above.

I’ll need to double check mine again as the last ABT file I have stored for the TCU is back in April but I’m pretty sure mine is also set for 1EA0 currently.

On top of that, with the new H APIM and updating to the newer firmware, I was able to enable the FordPass Connect menu there. But all it does is just spin and spin for a solid minute or three before it brings up just an empty popup window. Like you, I have absolutely zero idea what this is supposed to do but this is how it currently behaves. I know I’ve done a master reset or two since then and re-authed but haven’t done a FULL factory mode reset on the TCU.

EDIT: Also without going into much detail but I have started messing with modding the APIM and have since enabled SSH access and pulled some logs (for other uses) and I do see some lines repeating on the regular about the TCU being in an invalid state and being reset? Not sure if that is just some debug thing or if it matters any. I’ll have to go look at that again. If it’s ok by the folks here I can post those snippets.

Customer Connectivity Settings are for the advanced features of Sync and the TCU. This includes things like the WIFI Hotspot features, Warner Media services, etc. For Lincoln, this includes Black Label services.

This generally does not apply to vehicles older than say 2019, as the vehicle was not engineered for it, nor does the vehicle have permissions assigned thru the FordPass or Lincoln Way apps. If you have this turned on and go to the APIM, settings and select FordPass, you can see the CCS menu. Go into the CCS menu and see if any services are listed. If it comes up blank, then your vehicle is not eligible for CCS, no matter what you do. This is something that can be set on the service side, I suppose, with IDS? You can also check this on the Ford Owner site with your account and VIN.

OK. It’s just interesting because a Fusion Energi owner who had the official H TCU installed posted his as-built a while back and it has CCS set to enabled (along with the other stuff I mentioned in my post). Maybe that person had a 2019 or later Fusion Energi (I don’t recall off-hand).

Anyone know what kinds of advanced features show up in the CCS menu for cars that are eligible for it? Sorta off-topic for this thread but just curious.

So with that bit ruled out, I also wonder about the 754-02-01 xXxx stuff. Dealer installed H TCUs on the C-Max have all that stuff disabled even though it seems like it may be relevant here.

Then again, it doesn’t appear that stuff enables the collection/display of EV trip data, so maybe it’s truly irrelevant whether 754-02-01 is set to 1EA0 or 00A0.

I can’t really find a list but on the Lincoln Owners site it was WIFI Hotspot features, Warner Media services, Black Label services.

Ah, I wondered about the Ford Connect WiFi hot spot thing, but the H TCU isn’t capable of that anyway. So maybe just a red herring in terms of any meaningful impact on the Fusion Energi.

These are the indexes (feature set) for the H-series TCU.

On Line Telematics (OLT) - enabling data to be sent for the FordPass app. It is not defined what data or if this actually needs to be enabled.
Customer Connectivity Settings (CCS) - discussed above.
Data Usage Feature Enablement (DUFE) - hotspot data usage.
HEV/PHEV Data Monitoring (HPDM) - for HEV/PHEV only.
Vehicle Health Monitor (VHM) - health reports. Yes this works on older vehicles. You can set up VHM thru the app or on the Owners site.
Wi-Fi Hotspot Feature (WHF) - hotspot.
FOTA (Ford OTA) Feature Enable (FFE) - OTA updates, unclear
PwPck Setting (PPS) - unknown.
Transmission Of Rolling Code (TORC) - authorization/data security for TCU
Secondary Battery (SB) - EU only
Primary Battery (PB) - EU only
ECALL (ECALL) - EU only
Tracking and Blocking Module (TBM) - little known feature of the BCM…yes, it knows where you are.
Crew Chief (CC) - Old fleet app.

I realized I never replied directly to this. But I did do a brief comparison and I guess I shouldn’t be too surprised that all the major critical modules that could be associated with this are all different part #'s and calibration levels from my 2013. Ones like the BECM, PCM, BCM, IPC, SOBDC, etc… Other less critical ones like the DDM/PDM, ACM, and some others are the same however. So if it does come down to something with one of these modules inhibiting the collection of EV trip data, that’s probably going to be a bigger headache to dive into.

Just for reference and if anyone else wants it, this is the copy of my module list:
modules_20220513.txt (5.3 KB)