TCU HJ5T Asbuilt Discussion

Correct.

I noticed that also. That appears in all of the H models I have seen.

Here is an example of an F-150 J series TCU, you can see the 754-03-06 line is similar.

754-01-01 B132 0000 0040
754-01-02 005E
754-02-01 03A0 01
754-03-01 7D7D 7D7D 7DD0
754-03-02 7D7D 7D7D 7DD1
754-03-03 7D7D 7D7D 7DD2
754-03-04 7D7D 7D7D 7DD3
754-03-05 7D7D 7D7D 7DD4
754-03-06 001E 7D7D 7DF9
754-03-07 7D7D 7D7D 7DD6
754-03-08 7D7D 7D7D 7DD7
754-03-09 7D7D 7D7D 7DD8
754-03-10 7D7D 1E86
754-04-01 7C7C 7C7C 7CCC
754-04-02 7C7C 7C7C 7CCD
754-04-03 7C7C 7C7C 7CCE
754-04-04 7C7C 7C7C 7CCF
754-04-05 7C7C 7C7C 7CD0
754-04-06 7C7C 7C7C 55
754-06-01 0000 0078 0FE9
754-06-02 0277 DC

Also, notice this has 754-04-xx, which is Fleet Telematics disabled.

NOTE: I am going to move this to it’s own thread as this is not on topic for this one. We can continue on with it there. It will be in the Asbuilt category.

To see all of the Ford categories at once: Latest Ford topics - CyanLabs Official Community

1 Like

Interesting stuff–learned quite a bit today. Thanks for taking the time to share your expertise @F150Chief .

And yeah, this particular TCU model definitely needed its own topic. The f150forum guys have mainly moved on to the J/K, but the H lives on for us MFM orphans (there are dozens of us!)

Incidentally, prior to obtaining my H TCU I had picked up a K series cheap last year and first tried to get it working in my C-max. Predictably, with stock firmware it would not communicate with the car, which of course can’t speak HS4CAN. But downgrading the firmware to J level did get it working in a basic way–modem ESN showed up in About Sync and some info was making it into FordPass (Odo, current location, fuel and battery level + range, and oil life). I could also remote lock and unlock. Remote start would work but wouldn’t acknowledge that it did so, and the horn honk/lights button didn’t work at all. Crucially, none of the MFM-specific stuff would show up–mainly Value Charging and Departure (Go) times. The J+ TCUs have a more advanced TPMS display showing individual tire pressures along with the recommended values. But my C-max just showed all zeros, so obviously the underlying data isn’t where the TCU is looking for it. It was worth trying, but for the most functionality in FordPass, I believe an H series TCU is needed.

Also tried flashing the K TCU to H firmware, but no go. They are different enough hardware-wise that Forscan aborted the procedure before erasing the existing blocks (so no brick, thankfully).

tl;dr: If you have an energi/focus electric and want to go the DIY route to get 4G telematics then you should look for an HJ5T-14G087 TCU specifically (and then flash it yourself to the -UM calibration). It was stock on the 2017 Escape Titanium, and perhaps some other models (not sure which, if any). Unfortunately, they’re not easy to find these days.

Will definitely post any progress/info I come across, and hope others will do the same.

Edit: I should add that this trail was blazed by others before me (@bakedpatato, @Vchat20 and David Tucker who spent a lot of time attempting this last year before Ford had even announced the MFM shutdown and 21B09 CSP). So credit where credit is due.

2 Likes

Yes. All the new info on this is very much appreciated and useful. Thanks for that!

I also assumed all those bits under 754-03-xx were some form of garbage or storage bits similar to how the ACM stores presets but interesting to know they have some use. My TCU was also a '17 Escape pull (thought I had the original AsBuilt but I’m not finding my file at the moment) and I basically left all those as they were originally. Reviewing them, quite a handful were set to 7C so I went in just now for good measure and set 7D across the board. Will see what happens. As already noted by you guys, I assume we’re just waiting for Ford to populate this data on their end at this stage.

(top line before/bottom after - Ignore the 1EE0. I was experimenting with the PwPck setting after seeing some interesting data referencing that in the hidden JSON data on Ford’s website under an ‘outandAbout’ field, but after leaving it for a week or so I’m not seeing any changes with it enabled. Still not sure what the feature does exactly.)

1 Like

The H model does not work well, if at all, in 2015+ f-150’s. The J/K models are very much revised from the H models. They are not compatible.

Let me know what you find.

Yes, and they’re much more plentiful on the used market than the H. That’s why I was hoping the J/K would enable all the FordPass features Ford is making available to the older gen PHEV/BEVs. It’s going to be somewhat difficult for MFM folks to do a DIY TCU upgrade because there just aren’t very many H TCUs floating around out there.

I have pretty decent google-fu and I completely struck out on finding any relevant references to PwPck on the web.

1 Like

@bill32399 @Vchat20 @bookemdano

I was able to decipher the dataset for the 754-03-xx values for the HJ5T TCU’s today. I will post this later in the TCU-H database here on the site. I need to format the data for the sheet.

This is an example of how the bit structure values work in the dataset. “Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert” is just one of the features in the dataset. There are more variations to this, but this example will either turn on a feature to be monitored or turn it off, using the “Alert Status” points.

Byte Value: 7C
Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert QOS Level=1
Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert in DRX Status: Alert Sent Immediately, DRX continues, connection time not extended.
Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert in Roaming Status: Enabled
Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert Status: Disabled

Byte Value: 7D
Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert QOS Level=1
Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert in DRX Status: Alert Sent Immediately, DRX continues, connection time not extended.
Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert in Roaming Status: Enabled
Customer Requested SOC Reached Alert Status: Enabled

The value at 754-03-06 **** xxxx xx-- HEV Data Monitoring Alert Publishing Frequency (0078) is the advertisement interval of sending the HEV Data.

EDIT:
The revised TCU-H Database is posted: TCU-H Database - CyanLabs

3 Likes

Man you are incredible! This is really cool info for those with an H series.

1 Like

Very good info! Definitely changing 754-03-06 **** xxxx xx-- back to 0078. 7D7D would have left it at a whopping 32125 second/minute interval the way I had it set. :stuck_out_tongue:

You could set it to 00E1=30, or 003C=60. I am pretty sure it is minutes…

Are you CR08?

I’ll definitely play around with this setting a bit more and see what happens.

Yeah. Over on the C-Max boards (and a few rare other places) I’m under CR08. Older username.

My Focus Electric is missing charge state, charging status, and remaining range data in FordPass after the 4G modem update. Fordpass support said the modem isn’t provisioned, but that doesn’t seem correct since it’s working partially. Would changing 754-02-01 get that data to populate? Or do I need to go back to the dealer and have them reflash with IDS?

If you can provide a copy of the AsBuilt on your TCU, we can verify to see if the parameters are correct. For the Focus Electric, I believe it should be the same architecture as the C-Max so 754-01-01 at a minimum should be B742 (7 being for yours being electric only, B for Sync 3. Change that to A for Sync 2).

Those of us who have DIY’d this have gotten things working with no input from the dealer or needing IDS, just basic AsBuilt changes. For the official dealer installed update, they should also be applied with the newer -UM calibration so I’d verify if that’s there as well on the TCU module, though that -shouldn’t- impact availability of range data/charging status. Just the use of Go Times/Value Charging.

Per the original CSP bulletin, there may be some extraneous issues Ford needs to resolve concerning Focus Electric vehicles, but we can rule out the AsBuilt (and calibration level) first.

As requested. The 754-01-01 parameters match what you specified. Also, I did download the asbuilt from motorcraftservice.com previously. Also, my TCU configuration is below:

TCU - Telematic Control Unit Module
Part number: HJ5T-14G087-UM
Strategy : HJ5T-14G139-UM

I mentioned the dealership because Fordpass support said the modem wasn’t showing as provisioned, but I suspect they have no clue what they’re talking about.

That all looks correct, and matches exactly with the C-Max dealer-upgraded TCU, save for 754-01-01 as expected.

You might want to try a master reset on your sync system (in Settings > General), which will delete the authorization for FordPass. Then re-authorize the car from the app. It will probably ask if you want to import existing data in FordPass. You can try saying yes or no to that—I haven’t seen that it makes much difference.

I just completed the master reset and authorization. So far there’s no change in the app. Part of the issue I’m having is that I’m not entirely sure what functionality should be present. I’ve seen screenshots of a couple of Canadian vehicles with the update that have charging status and remaining range on the main screen. I don’t have that info. My screen only has lock/unlock and remote start. Journeys started working randomly, but vehicle location doesn’t work. I keep getting 100% charge notifications, but can’t turn them off. My wife and I can’t have access to the vehicle in Fordpass simultaneously. Only one of us can authorize the vehicle, and the other can’t see anything. Generally we use the charge status to make sure the vehicle is plugged in at night.
Any further suggestions would be appreciated. I asked for an AsBuilt from a US vehicle with the upgrade on the Focus Electric Facebook group, but I think the members there with the update don’t know how to pull that data.

I don’t believe the AsBuilt data should be any different between Canada and the US. There’s the ‘42’ bits in 754-01-01 with a destination region, but it already specifies North America. Nothing else is country specific.

How long has this upgrade been installed for you? Many of us had to simply wait out for features to slowly populate in the app and even then some features are still unavailable while Ford continues to work on it from their end. Charge Notification as an example seems like it is potentially defaulted on with no toggle in the app for it yet. If the remote start/lock/unlock features work for you, that’s a good sign that the TCU is provisioned and functioning.

As far as multiple user authorizations, that SHOULD work. It was one feature I tested early on with mine. Your wife should have her own separate FordPass account and add the VIN like normal and it should specifically say that it has been authorized already and give the option to request authorization from the primary user (you). I’d have to give that a try again on my end as I’m pretty sure with the multiple Master Resets I’ve done since, that secondary user has been de-authed.

On a final note, we have gotten two separate users so far on the C-Max forums indicating their dealers have been instructed to hold off on these upgrades full stop due to some unspecified software issues.

I picked up the vehicle on March 9th and was able to complete the authorization based on info from the Cmax forum on March 10th (I used the connected-car sdk site). I waited a few weeks to see if any additional data would populate, but nothing else begin working. I just re-added the vehicle to my wife’s Fordpass and it’s not working. She does have her own Fordpass account. The app shows no functionality, just an empty screen with the splash shot of the vehicle.
I wonder if Ford is aware of the issues and has some fix planned?

You might want to try authorizing using FordPass itself rather than connected-car site if you haven’t already. Might not make any difference, but worth a try. Once one person (either you or your wife) completes the authorization then the car is tied to that person’s FordPass account. In order to share control with someone else, they need to add the car to FordPass and it should send the first person a request (rather than there being a prompt in the car).

Other than FordPass apps will have real issues with the FordPass system since Ford is attempting to shut down access for those apps. Since the authorization was done via non-Ford authorized methods, I suggest that you do the following to resolve the account issues:

1. Open the app on both phones, delete the vehicle from the account on the secondary user’s phone, close the app, delete the app from the phone, reboot the phone. On the primary phone delete the vehicle from the account, close the app, delete the app from the phone, reboot the phone.
  2. Remove both phones from the vehicle.
  3. Remove the vehicle pairing from both phones. Reboot the phones.
    (It is important to reboot the phones to clear the cache of all instances of the BT pairing.)
  4. Now that both phones do not have FordPass installed, go to the vehicle and preform a Master Reset of the Sync unit.
  5. DO NOT install FordPass at this time on the phones.
  6. Once the APIM comes up and has finished booting and loading maps, pair the primary user’s phone ONLY to the vehicle. Once the phone is paired and the contacts download, etc., you may proceed with installing FordPass on the primary cell phone ONLY.
  7. Once FordPass is loaded, sign into the app. First check that the vehicle is NOT listed on the account. If it is, then the vehicle will need to be deleted. If the vehicle is not listed, add the vehicle to the account.
  8. Now it is time to authorize the modem…
  9. Start the vehicle. The vehicle must be running to complete the authorization.
  10. Select authorize and wait for the app response to say the authorization is pending. You should receive an email stating that the authorization is pending.
  11. Watch the APIM for the authorization prompt. Answer yes.
  12. The app should reflect the vehicle is authorized and start populating the features. You should receive an email the vehicle is authorized. If you do not receive the emails, then the Ford servers are very busy or there is an issue with the account.
    Once this is completed, shut down the vehicle for 15 minutes or so.
  13. You may now add the secondary user’s phone to the vehicle and to FordPass. Do NOT attempt to authorize the vehicle from the secondary user’s phone. This will really mess things up and you will need to go thru all this to fix it.