Update to latest 3.3 sync version

Hello,
I haven’t done the process yet but my usb stick is ready to go but before I start, I wanted to verify a few things with you guys first. I’ll be going from version 1.0 to 3.3 on my sync 3 system. I don’t want to go to 3.4 because of the GUI interface change that’s all in blue. Ideally I’m doing the change to just update the maps. I have a NA version map from 2014. So I’ll be doing the latest 3.3 update that Syn3 had listed and the NA 21 version map update. Will this still be ok? Any problems with keeping the update at 3.3 and using maps at 21? Not sure if the new map (21) needs the 3.4. I don’t want to do this upgrade and have a bunch of errors. Also, in my 2016 mustang GT, every time you open the car door to get in and out, the screen shows a cool mustang logo. Will I loose this feature after the update? Will it just show the white and blue oval ford logo going forward? I also don’t care about apple car play, I just want the navigation to work flawlessly and my Sirius XM. I’ll change the USB hub if I want to plug in my iPhone.

Thanks for your time.

SYNC Region: North America & Canada

Navigation Variant: Yes

Install Type: Stock (Original Unit)

Old SYNC Version: 1.0.15139

New SYNC Version: 3.3.19052

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
None. Haven’t begun the process yet. Seeing if I’ll expect any after installation

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: Just installed syn3 updater last night. Version 2.11.4.0 Stable

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: yes

Syn3 Updater Log File
log-2022-10-01-22-24-00.txt (10.9 KB)

There is no issue with upgrading to Sync 3.3 and using the NA 2.21 maps and voice.
FYI - There is a map release for Sync 3, but you will need to update to version 3.0.20204 from Version 1.0. The Sync 3.0 maps will need to be obtained from Ford if you want to do that.

You should not loose this feature, but Ford has changed the boot logos, etc., with generations of Sync. This logo still exists in the present versions, but may need to be set in the asbuilt. It will likely remain.

These features should be fine. Apple CP will require the hub to be updated.
Media Hub, CarPlay Compatible - 2015-2020 Ford/Lincoln - SYNC 3 - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

1 Like

Thank you for the information.

I did try at first going out to ford sync website, inputting my VIN and got updates for my Sync 3 software. However, I could not get their software update to work. I noticed many others had the same issue when trying to update from version 1.0 to 3.0. Sync will recognize my USB device when inserted and will show “ updating system software “ but it never stops. I nearly burnt half a tank of gas driving around and idling to keep the system on.

Not sure what is up with Fords update but I’m hoping Syn3 updater will deliver promising results instead. Have you heard of this dilemma with fords update or any issues when going from 1.0 to 3.0 or if I go to 3.3? Some have said I may need to go to 2.2 first, then to 3.0. I heard 3.0 may have some issues so 3.3 was my best bet

Yeah, something Ford has forgotten with their own software, you have to upgrade to Sync 2.3 (or late 2.2) before you can update the Sync 3.0.20204 if you are currently on Sync 3 version 1.x. This is a well documented issue by Ford and on many websites. CyanLabs does not support Sync 3.0 updates, so it is not posted here.

Gotcha.
Thanks for that. Is it wise then to try and get a copy of a sync 2.2 update then move to install ford’s 3.0 update from their site? This 2.2 update I got from a f150 sync forum.

I would just like to continue to use Syn3 updater which has the 3.3 update with NA 21 maps already to go on my drive if this is the easiest.

This would be the easiest and best course of action. Sync 3.3 is faster and more refined than the older versions.

Do you have the FORScan OBD application?

1 Like

I do not. I did some research on that and was hoping I wouldn’t need it. I see it’s a USB dongle type device that plugs in to the OBD II port then I’ll need forscan to make some internal changes?

If you need to make changes for the boot screen or themes (as well as other things) you would need it. However, the update should not change the theme.

Ahh… ok sounds good. If it does change or eliminate the boot screen, it’s not the end of the world but I may get curious into changing it back later on I’m sure.

Off topic a bit but I also have an F150 STX 2019 that’s got a sync 3 no nav but it’s got a satellite antenna on the top. When you go into engineering test mode of the sync 3 you can check the antenna gain and gps. Thought that was kinda weird, I was trying to see if Sirius XM radio could be added and someone was saying you can use FORScan to activate it on sync. A weird process but I got curious about it. Looks like I may need some sort of APM? Or something like that.

1 Like

You would need to change the ACM (Audio Control Module) which is the tuner/radio to add SiriusXM. It is a simple addition with the ACM and changing the APIM asbuilt to include SiriusXM. The antenna on the roof is just GPS if the vehicle did not come from the factory with SiriusXM.

NON-NAV Sync APIM’s use GPS for the clock and location. They just don’t have the map subsection.

2 Likes

I see…
Ford has gotten smart with their upgrades and packages. Haha. Might look into those down the road.

Thanks for your information tonight. I’ll be underway then with the updates this week.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.