Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

I was finally able to get the strategy to take and that did revive the APIM, but I’m still having trouble getting the calibration updated (currently showing webdings, which seems to break FORscan 2.4.2).

Use 2.4.0 to fix it, it won’t work with 2.4.2

FORscan 2.4.2 is broken when it comes to do with calibration files? Should I even bother upgrading the firmware on my radio to include the Calm sreen? I’ve tried configuring the as-built and it doesn’t activate it. My car is a 2017 MKZ but made back in 2016 so I’m sure the f/w is just old.

There are many other people that would know better than me, but I would wait if possible. FORscan is currently capable of doing what you’re trying to do, but if something gets screwed up, you likely won’t be able to fix it right away.

1 Like

Follow the instructions in the first post. The calm screen is nothing special. If you already have an adapter and FORScan, take a look and post your firmware levels.

Did you get yours done?

1 Like

After spending most of the day in the truck, I was able to get my APIM working again. I suspect the part of the process that caused problems was programming the calibration file. I guess with an “invalid” strategy that was successfully written and a half written calibration file, my APIM was bricked.

Additionally, I started experiencing issues with my EX adapter today, causing me to do something that would make most people in the community cringe… I used me MX+ bluetooth adaptor to write the file that brought my APIM back to life. It was risky, but necessary.

I’ve successfully upgraded to SYNC 3.4 with 2019 maps.

My remaining problem, however, is that I have a bad calibration file that I can’t update. Due to a bug in FORscan 2.4.2 where you can’t load custom files and a limitation in FORscan 2.4.0 that prevents the user from writing firmware with a bluetooth adapter, I’m stuck with it for now.

I updated the firmware on the EX adapter as instructed before I started with any attempts to update firmware, and I also updated it today (new release yesterday) with no change. Does anyone else use an EX? Does the light turn green when you’re connected to the vehicle?

1 Like

I use the EX and the light turns green when connected to the vehicle. You might want to return it for a new one if you are having issues.

Glad to hear you have it mostly sorted.

Yes mine does too, make sure you have the proper driver installed from OBDLink and had a usb2 port where possible

Want to try to get Calm screen working. My car is a 2017 Lincoln MKZ 3.0t AWD with navigation. I have successfully updated to sync 3.4 build 19274 using a Windows 10 laptop and OBDLink EX adapter updated to the latest firmware. I am using FORscan version 2.4.2 with the extended license.
I have successfully made changes to asbuilt values.

To get the Calm screen, I’ve changed the AsBuilt value from 7D0-02-03: #0##-## to #4##-## I didn’t change it to C as I don’t think that my car has an Online Traffic Modem in it.
0= OTM Not Available, Calm Screen Disabled,EnhDAB Disabled, AACF Enabled
4= OTM Not Available, Calm Screen Enabled,EnhDAB Disabled, AACF Enabled and did a
C= OTM Available, Calm Screen Enabled,EnhDAB Disabled, AACF Enabled
few master resets but no settings for the calm screen in settings > display or anywhere else.

I then followed the directions above and even used a fully charged large sized (SLA battery containing) jump starter. After selecting APIM firmware update, I get the following screen and nothing works from there. It doesn’t show any available update nor does the download button do anything. What am I doing wrong?

1 Like

I mean no disrespect in asking… but did your laptop have an internet connection when you were connected to the vehicle?

I think FORscan gets the values from your vehicle and then communicates to their servers to populate those fields.

When I upgraded the firmware for some of my modules I also got that screen where it’s all blank even though the firmware update succeeded. I did have an internet connection as well. This is more than likely a bug with the FORScan beta and I think its a pretty widespread issue as I’ve seen numerous other people report the same thing.

So, aside from a few DTC’'s, everything appears to be working. No matter what I try, I can’t get the calibration file to upgrade… and I’m starting to think it is a problem with the APIM.

Here is the log from today’s attempts that, if memory serves me, match the same issue I encountered the first time I tried to update the APIM firmware.

I am certain that I have a problem with my EX adapter, but I was able to use a spare STN1170 adapter today as well as my MX+ yesterday.

Anyone have any ideas how I can get that calibration file written?

Yes, I made sure to test the connection prior to attempting this. It was connected to a hotspot on my phone.

Use the -DA calibration file. The -CA is not overwriting the corruption. If you are still using 2.4.2 to do this, try the 2.4.0 beta.

4= OTM Not Available, Calm Screen Enabled,EnhDAB Disabled, AACF Enabled is the correct value for your vehicle.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I probably typed way too much.
Got version 2.4.3 and will test it to see if that works.

2.4.3? where is this?

@F150Chief: I’m going to flash an 2016 APIM from an European Ford Galaxy (you call it a minivan in the US :smiley: ) - and because it’s an old APIM are you able to send me the 2.4.0 Version ? I have a lifetime reg for Forscan because three Galaxies are running in my family and my is the one who will be flashed first. Thank you in advance ! Best regards from Germany

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum, See your PM…

1 Like