Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

I can see in the log:
(ERR) [10:27:22.483] Loading firmware failed.
(ERR) [10:27:22.730] Service procedure has been interrupted.

This is usually an indicator of low battery voltage or adapter issues. You are using a battery charger?
Also, check your Windows USB setup and turn off power savings. If all those are ok, it could be a firmware or writing issue. I see you have the OBDLink EX, which has not experienced issues with the latest firmware.
OBDLink EX r1.0 STN2230 v5.6.5 (ELM327 v1.4b)

It looks to me that the unit is stuck on the GB5T-14G375-CA.VBF write. Use the GB5T-14G375-DA.VBF file (NAV) or GB5T-14G375-BB.VBF (NON-NAV). This is like a kick startā€¦but if it works you can keep it there.

Power reset then program.

GB5T-14G374-CB.VBF (610.9 KB)
GB5T-14G375-DA.VBF (709 Bytes)
GB5T-14G375-BB.VBF (709 Bytes)

Follow this:
APIM Firmware Flash Rescue Gen 2.txt (1.0 KB)

The DTCā€™s for the other modules are likely that they cannot communicate with the APIM. Once you get the APIM recovered, clear the DTCā€™s.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try them.

My battery is on a charger, so I donā€™t think itā€™s a voltage issue.

1 Like

Good. I always askā€¦

Just take your time and follow thru the steps.

The first part of the procedure (flashing Strategy & Calibration) worked and restored the APIM screen.

The second part (ECU Configs) caused the screen to go black again.

Here is the log. Note the service procedure interrupted after the config flashing step. I tried this 3 times with the same result. So I redid it with just the first part and stopped there. Every function seems to work.

Successful APIM Rescue 2021.06.23.txt (3.9 KB)

And the log of loading and reading all of the modules:

Post Rescue Master Reset 2021.065.23.txt (2.6 KB)

The only thing I notice is when loading the APIM Firmware Update screen, all the ā€œTo Programā€ fields are blank and there there is no download functionality.

But since the APIM seems fully restored, Iā€™m going to keep it as is.

Thank you for your guidance on this.

Looking at the Post Master Reset log, you have a lot of DTCā€™s that are communication errors. You should clear the DTCā€™s on your vehicle and monitor for recurrence. Here is a definition of the codes for Ford Focus vehiclesā€¦
Every trouble code defined | Focus Fanatics Forum

As far as the PCM DTCā€™s, it looks like you are running a tuneā€¦? This can cause some of the other codes you are seeing. Clear the DTCā€™s and see if they come back. If they do, I would contact the manufacturer of the tuner and ask why these issues persist.

Glad the APIM rescue worked. You didnā€™t need to do the 2nd part of the procedure if the unit restored on the first part, I should have mentioned that. Since the APIM data is now changed, you should do a rescan for your profile (new profile) with FORScan.

Hi, I have test with 6A and 6B but it didnā€™tā€™ work.
I think I have an issue with wiring on the pin 46 and 47 from fcdim.

1 Like

I do have custom tune. I also have an after-market suspension with a new controller. Multiple connections/disconnections and flashing to update both programs probably caused at least some of the DTCs. Iā€™ve cleared them - weā€™ll see if they come back.

Thanks again for your knowledge and guidance on this.

1 Like

Hi, since i restore a backup of ipc config, steering wheel controls is now working.

For park assist i donā€™t have different modes. Is it normal ?
APIM and Pam modules are updated.

Bye

You probably only have rear sensors and camera, so the park assist would be limited to that for your model.

Hi,
I have front, rear and 2 on left ans 2 on right.
I donā€™t have rear camera.

Another question. I have reinstalled my acm from sync1 (Sony 9 speakers option) from 2013. Now center hp work well and sound is definitively better, but I have lost radio logo. I have XCXX-XXXX at 7d02-03.
And to finish, when I touch The Ā« stations Ā» button, it works a while but I never have the list of stations.

Did you have an idea ?
Bye

Assuming there are 4 sensors on the front, 4 sensors on the rear and 2 each on the sides, this makes 12 sensors total. For the Park Assist, at 7D0-04-02 xx** xx use 0007 E4.
07=Rear/Front PDC with APA (12 Sensors) (Active Park + Parallel + Perpendicular + Park Out)

The DAB logos are turned off. To enable, at 7D0-02-03 use E.
E=TPEG Available with Modem, CS Available, ED On, AACF Available

Make sure you have the ENH_DAB Logo file loaded in the APIM.
1U5T-14G658-AF_1598633324000.TAR.GZ

The setting above will probably fix thisā€¦

Good afternoon! Iā€™ve been studying upgrading the APIM in my 2017 MKZ 3.0T for some time now as I want to FULLY understand what Iā€™m doing first. I upgraded Sync 3 to 3.4 and everything works except HD radio. Iā€™ve even enabled HD radio with FORScanā€¦ I see the toggle switch to enable it but it wonā€™t stay ā€œclickedā€. This is the reason for updating the APIM. I have the FORScan recommended cable and the firmware is up to date and setup as recommended , version 2.4.3 from FORScan, Backed up APIM configuration files, Tested writing with the ā€œtest SBLā€ successfully. I even have all the ā€œoriginalā€ Calibration files that are currently on the APIMā€¦ā€¦ except for one ā€œ GB5T-14G375-BAā€œ. I would like to have the complete set before I push the firmware update. Would one of you folks mind posting it for me?

You need to set the ACM for HD radio also, if it supports it.

It had HD radio when it before I upgraded to sync 3.4.

BTW, F150chief, Your nickname is EVERYWHERE when it comes to Sync upgrading & APIM flashing. I ran into post after post of you helping out countless people. Not only are you a posting machine, but a selfless man who spends untold (and unpaid) hours helping this community. THANK YOU for your efforts. You have my respect and admiration.

4 Likes

Thank you for the recognition and comments. I help out where I can.

By the wayā€¦ you can use GB5T-14G375-BB.VBF (709 Bytes) instead of -BA. I donā€™t have -BA but have used this instead.

For the ACM setting for HD radio, look at 727-01-01 in the 2017 tab of the ACM spreadsheet attached.

ACM As Built Database.xlsx (114.0 KB)
APIM As Built Database.xlsx (64.1 KB)

Hi,
Thankā€™s a lot for your help @F150Chief, but i donā€™t have hd radio on my acm.
When I update APIM firmware I have acm from sync 3 in the car. Radio logo was OK. After, i was reinstalled acm from sync1.
So, do you think I have have to update firmware of my sync1 acm?

Thank you.

Updating the firmware on the APIM or ACM will not enable HD radio.

What are the part numbers for the APIM and ACM you are using? On the ACM there is a tag that lists the features. If the ACM does not have HD radio, then program the APIM to exclude that from the radio page.

Hi,

My acm dont have hd radio. I talk about updating acm firmware just for fm radios logos.

1 Like

Let me know if that worksā€¦

Just saw this. Thank you!

1 Like