Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

I have calm screen on all of my cars and I have used it Zero times. Not really sure what it’s for unless you don’t want people seeing what’s on your screen. Maybe if you drive Uber or something.

Just the 2 files.

Are there any other benefits updating from G series to H series firmware?

1 Like

Slightly more stable, calm screen, that’s about it.

I am planning to update the APIM module to a newer version. I want to use the Vlinker FS cable. Is this cable good enough to carry out this procedure?

Thanks,

Alessandro

Yes, Vlinker and OBDLink EX will work fine and are recommended.

Thanks Chief!

I have another question that i cannot solve alone. I bought the Vlinker FS and in the manual for settings says to put the baud rate at 115.2 Kbp, whereas Forscan recommend to put in the OBD adapter setting the baud rate in “auto”. Which one shoul i put to have best performance during APIM firmware update? Of course i would tick off the auto-increase box.

I follow-up with an update. The Forscan Team just told me to use baud rate in Auto also for the Vlinker FS

Sent the baud rate for automatic and to auto increase, like FORSCAN recommended.

Well heck, this makes me very tempted to try the upgrade. Unfortunately though I’m on a G-series unit (GB5T-14G371-CFC, same cal level) which I’ve read in many places don’t like doing the firmware upgrade. My C-Max’s flicker is just the other side of annoying enough to make me want to try and fix it.

Hi Chief!

I have now all the pre-requisite items to try to upgrade the APIM firmware, i.e. Vlinker FS cable with the latest firmware, 8 AMP car battery charger and the latest Forscan software 2.4. My plan would be to update my H series APIM to have a MY18.5 firmware, so that I will be able to see and activate line 7D0-09-xx line in AS-Built. I show here below my current status:

My Sync was a 3.0 updated to 3.4 with cyanlabs updater. I have NAV with EU maps, therefore it is a 64GB capacity.

My first question is: where can I find and download the .VBF files that I need to update the APIM to MY18.5 firmware. And which are those files?

Second question, is there any tutorial that I can watch to learn the whole procedure and avoid bricking the APIM? I read the forscan link How to update module firmware with FORScan - FORScan forum but I think a tutorial would be very helpful to clear out some doubts.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Let us know if it works and the settings you use…

I have not seen a good video on how to upgrade the firmware on an APIM. The ones I have seen are full of misinformation and plain wrong in many cases. The guide at FORScan.org is the best and only procedure to follow.

What is the goal with upgrading to MY18.5 firmware? If it is just to get Calm Screen and features like that, then upgrading to the H*** firmware would suffice. If you are looking at the FMods features (not discussed here), then you would need to upgrade to the -E* Strategy files.

1 Like

My main goal to have the MY18.5 is to have the additional line 7D09 and be able to have more setting features in the vehicle settings of the sync, like the dark mode that can be activated directly from the sync.

Keep in mind that the 7D0-09-xx settings do NOT add features to your vehicle, but only allow you to control the existing features IF the firmware of those modules will support the control. The 7D0-09-xx settings are designed for newer vehicles which utilize the latest software and firmware from the factory for 2019+ vehicles. Some of the controls will work on previous models, but there will be limitations.

That said, you do not need to upgrade to -E* files to do what you want to do. The following files would work.
3.2/3.3 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2018.5, J-Early K Series)
GB5T-14G376-AA
1U5T-14G374-DA
1U5T-14G375-DA (1U5T-14G375-CA NON-NAV) (-FA EU NAV)
GB5T-14G379-AA
JB5T-14G379-BA

It is more likely you would be successful upgrading to these. But still, there is no guarantee that these files will load and function properly.

Thanks for your reply Chief. I am aware that 7D0-09-xx will not add new features, but it will provide on the sync screen direct enabling/disabling mode of the dark mode feature, and for a camping van that feature is a must.

Since I have NAV with EU maps i believe the file 1U5T-14G375-DA should be 1U5T-14G375-HA, as I have a 64GB sync, what do you think?

XXXX-14G375-H*.vbf 64GB EU with NAV (Telenav)

If this is what you have, then yes.

My next question now is where can someone download the .VBF files? My understanding is that in the past the calibration files could be downloaded from this link UCDS Calibration File Download which is now no longer avaialable. Trying to find the calibration files seems now a treasure hunt. Do you have Chief a different source where the calibration files can be downloaded?

Thanks again Chief for your help.

Can you share your version of forscan

FORScan Software Version 2.4.x Releases and Information - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

Any chance you can point me in the direction of the correct files for me?

Early 2018 model probably built in late 2017 currently on sync 3.4, APIM has one USB. I can program with Forscan fine, but it always comes back to the same firmware update screen. I manually used 74 and 75 files from above and those seem to brick it. I reload to factory and it un-bricks it.

Thanks!