Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files)

Thank you for your help.

Managed to clear the DTC with some combination of loading the asbuilt and removing power. The APIM is still being weird with flashing, but I’m in a working state and given the history with this older APIM, I’m just going to leave it alone.

17MY Explorer
Already at 3.4

Another person jumping in for help.
Current:
Part: HB5T-14G371-CCA
Calibration: HB5T-14G371-CCG
Hardware: HB5T-14G380-BA
Secondary bootloader: GB5T-14G376-AA
Strategy: GB5T14G374-CB
Calibration: GB5T-14G375-CA
ECU SOUND: GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU ILLUMINATION: GB5T-14G379-BA
Image: 5U5T-14G381-EZ

What is it you would like to do? What help do you need?

Sorry, looking to get calm screen and some of my XM channels arent showing up after the channel changed a while ago.

I recommend you stay at 3.4.21265, which is stable.
This will get you to calm screen:
3.0 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2017-Pre-2018.5, H-Early J Series)
(Originally Found On 2017/Early 2018 Units That Ship with 2 USB Ports on Back)
GB5T-14G376-AA
HB5T-14G374-CA
HB5T-14G375-DA
GB5T-14G379-AA
HB5T-14G379-BA

You can go to this safely:
3.2/3.3 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (Production Release, 2018.5, J-Early K Series)
GB5T-14G376-AA
1U5T-14G374-DA
1U5T-14G375-DA
GB5T-14G379-AA
JB5T-14G379-BA

See your messages…

I have a 2018 F-150. I have upgraded sync to 3.4.21265. Everything works fine.

I would like to add the ‘Vehicle Settings’ screen to my system, as shown in the screenshot below.

I understand to get this page, additional settings in asbuilt must be added. However, my asbuilt does not go this high. I suspect that I may need to updgrade firmware to do this. Below is the firmware I am currently running.

Does anyone know about this? Is there a newer firmware my hardware can safely run?

1 Like

I may be wrong, but I don’t believe that will work without newer hardware like a BCM. The pic is of 16-19 Explorer and even though this person has these AB options turned on I know they won’t work in these years Explorer. Also, your APIM is too old and would not support the newer hardware. If it would work, you would need a K or L series APIM.

I recommend you stay at 3.4.21265, which is stable. Your hardware will not support most of the items in 7D0-09-xx asbuilt section. However, some things will work, like lights, locks, and windows. The J-series installed in your vehicle is not MY18.5, so hardware will be a restriction. The proper way to do this would be to replace the APIM with a newer K-series 2019 model. The good news is that the BCM is one of the later models in a 2018 F-150, so there is no issues there as far as feature support for the 13 Gen models. Keep in mind that upgrading the firmware or replacing the APIM does not mean that the features will just work. Each model that is invoked for each feature listed in Sync may need the firmware and asbuilt upgraded. This is not without risk.

So, the two methods above will enable you to activate the center stack option for 7D0-09-xx asbuilt parameters, to different degrees of functionality. I recommend that you start by upgrading your firmware and go from there.

This is where you are:
3.0 APIM NON-NAV Unit Firmware.
Part number: JS7T-14G371-KED
Calibration level: JS7T-14G371-KHG
Hardware Number: HS7T-14G380-BB
Secondary Boot Loader: GBST-14G376-AA
Strategy (CAN, F188): HBST-14G374-CA
Calibration (CAN, F124): HB5T-14G375-CA
ECU Configuration/Sound Profiles (CAN, F10A): GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU Configuration/Illumination Strategy (CAN, F168): HB5T-14G379-BA

You can go to this safely:
3.2/3.3 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (2018.5 MY)
Strategy (CAN, F188): 1U5T-14G374-DA
Calibration (CAN, F124): 1U5T-14G375-DA
ECU Configuration/Sound Profiles (CAN, F10A): GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU Configuration/Illumination Strategy (CAN, F168): JB5T-14G379-BA

Thank you for this process. I need to know if my Apim is upgraded… I want to use “available” but nothing appears when I click on it. I don’t have the calibration level. how to get it? (Sync 2 to Sync 3 fews days ago…)
Other problème: gps signal : B119F 13 0B…
Thanks for the help!

DTC B119F:13 - GPS Antenna-Circuit open.

Did you connect the GPS antenna for the Sync 3 APIM?

Can you take a picture of the FORScan screen showing the firmware? What version of FORScan are you using?

1 Like

Hi, thanks 4 your help.
Yes, I used the gps antenna which was délivred with the APIM…I Think that the antenna is bad quality…I found in forscan forum someone who has the same problem. Hé changed the antenna with an other “better quality” and his problem was resolved…but before to change the antenna…I tell to expert!! And if I have to change, can you say me which antenna is better?
Thanks

I have used these with no issues:
Amazon.com: Eightwood Waterproof Active Navigation GPS Antenna Fakra Blue C Female Right Angle Magnetic Base Compatible with Ford VW Audi MFD2 RNS2 RNS-E Car Stereo Head Unit : Electronics

Your Sync unit does not show any available upgrades because it has already been upgraded to MY18.5 firmware.

Elementary my dear Chief! Thanks for the links…i 'll see same model at Amazon.fr (ship from us cost 10euro…znd antenna cosy 10 euro…)

Thanks you à lot!

Thanks for the info F150 chief. The only feature I’m trying to gain by doing this is access to silent mode. Currently I do this by connecting forscan and modifying the as built on the bcm. It is a pain to turn it off and on, since a laptop is required. Do you know if this will work with my earlier 18’ APIM with newer firmware? I guess I could try it and if it doesn’t work, I can return back to stock firmware. I also tried enabling an option to control this on my 8" IPC, but the option never showed up. That’s why I’m looking for a way to control it with the APIM.

One last question… you mentioned that my current apim firmware is non nav. But, the unit has built in navigation. Is the firmware versions you suggested still applicable in my case?

Thanks again

The calibration file shown in the pic is for NON_NAV APIM’s. The NAV APIM should have the 1U5T-14G375-DA file.

If you are referring to “dark mode” or “police mode”, this is controlled by a button on the headliner console above. I have not seen the button in the APIM interface work, although it does highlight, but I have a 2015 F-150 with the earlier BCM. Since you have a later BCM. I would think this would be functional. You will need the MY18.5+ firmware (-Ex version) and Sync 3.4 to make that functional as far as I can tell.

3.2/3.3 APIM NAV & NON-NAV Unit Firmware (2018.5 MY)
Strategy (F188): 1U5T-14G374-EH (or later)
Calibration (F124): 1U5T-14G375-DA
ECU Configuration/Sound Profiles (F10A): GB5T-14G379-AA
ECU Configuration/Illumination Strategy (F16B): 5U5T-14G379-BA

Correct, I am trying to enable “police mode”, now referred to BCM Silent mode 5 . This takes it further than the overhead button can do, causing all lights to stay off when the doors open. I.E. No brake light illumination when doors opened. There are times when I take the kids to the drive in or camp out on the beach where it is super annoying when the truck lights up like a Christmas tree.

I am taking a pause reading over the version recommended for non nav / nav. I bought my vehicle new, with factory navigation. To my knowledge, the firmware has never been flashed (I’ve never had work done to the radio by the dealer). I have only performed the Sync 3.4 upgrade using the cyanlabs tool.

To double check, I downloaded the latest forscan beta and took a screenshot of my current version. With this discrepancy, do you recommend that I follow the nonnav or nav recomendation?

My stock APIM for 2018 US F-150 that came with built in navigation:
APIM Current

If it works and came from the factory that way, there is no harm leaving it as is, but if you are going to upgrade to MY18.5+ firmware you should change it to that firmware. The firmware from the factory was also only meant for Sync 3.0, not Sync 3.4.

OK, I will try changing it to the MY18.5+firmware (-Ex version) you listed when I get some courage. You bring up another interesting point. The APIM silent mode option could just mean the same as the overhead button. It may not mean police mode.

I can enable the option on demand using a laptop and editing the BCM asbuilt. The only reason I am researching this is that it would be much simpler to toggle using an on screen option.

Thanks for all your help.

1 Like

@mtech
I was able to enable Silent Mode on my 2015 F-150 Platinum via the Sync screen. You will need the -E* firmware and enable the feature in the Sync asbuilt.

Here are the details:
There is another feature called “Silent mode” that appeared in Sync 3.4 earlier. This incorporates the features of BCM Silent Mode 5. I never could get this to work on my 2015 F-150 Platinum thru Sync, but with the MY18.5 -E* firmware upgrade it appears to be functional. This requires no updates to the BCM.

Silent Mode Control Function (SMCF) (Controls BCM Silent Mode 5)
7D0-09-02 Xxxx-xxxx-xx–
“enable SMCF - requires 3.4 and MY18.5 -E* firmware”

Here is the feature description:
Silent Mode 5: Unlocking, locking (whether with the key fob, keyless entry, or the keypad), opening any doors, closing any doors, opening the tailgate, closing the tailgate, etc…no exterior lights come on, no interior lights (mostly) come on, and no beeps/horns sound.
Notes to Silent Mode 5:

• When you open a door, the startup logo sequence still plays on the center Sync screen, then it shuts off. The dash screen also cycles on and stays a black screen, then turns off as well.
  • The light blue backlighting on the light buttons above the rear doors stay on, all other backlit buttons stay dark.
  • If you click a button on the keypad entry, the keypad lights up.
  • If you click the bed light button in the bed, those will come on along with the convenience lights on the mirrors.
  • The alarm button on the key fob will still flash lights and the horn, if activated.
  • Once you turn the ignition on everything will function normally.
1 Like

Woah! Thank you so much for researching this! I really appreciate this.

I’m a little confused on the naming of the firmware versions. You mentioned E*. I suspect that means a wild card and anything starting with E will work. BUT, there are multiple files that get flashed and I’m not exactly sure which ones this refers to. You provided two different lists. Can you confirm the firmware that you recommend in this case? The format you used previously was easy to understand as it listed the files to use for each section in forscan.

I have an upcoming appt at the dealer to fix an unrelated CEL. Once this is resolved, I plan to proceed with upgrading the APIM firmware. I don’t want to confuse the dealer techs with any rouge codes from the upgrade.

Thanks again!