2016 Ford Focus SYNC3 1.0 Update issue

I have previously tried to install SYNC3 2.2 and 3.0 via USB with no success. Just hangs at "“Updating System Software…”. I am reluctant to try the reformat and 3.4.22251 install until I am sure the APIM is good. Even the APIM Interrogator Utility won’t complete. I have tried 3 USB sticks all formatted and created with the interrogator utility. The only thing that gets written to the USB is a interlog_20030804205145 folder with utloggingutility.Interlog_utility.log. The contents are:

InterrogatorLog() +
CopyInterrogatorLog +

I can confirm that the correct GB5T-14G386-AA_56065.tar.gz file is on the USB.

Is there any other way to pull APIM info before I take the plunge and reformat? Thank you.

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 1.0.15139

New SYNC Version: 3.4.22251

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
None

Update Method: Official Ford

This is what you have…GB5T-14G381-AN 556Mb Sync3 v1.0.15139 19.05.2015
This is an original and very old version of Sync 3.0. It appears to be problematic to upgrade…

The “official” Ford packaged updates will not upgrade this version successfully, common issue. This is due to the way Ford packages the updates with the utility files used for determining the storage, Sync version, etc. Also, the voice file installation must be done separately from the Sync app for Non-NAV inits. You can update the unit by individually updating the Sync app and voice files only without using the utility files. (This is based on a healthy APIM unit.)

You have 2 choices to proceed:

1. Reformatting the APIM to upgrade to Sync 3.4 will work directly, provided the APIM is healthy and without storage issues.
  2. Go thru several updates to the APIM to get to the latest version of Sync 3.0, and then jump to Sync 3.4 with a reformat, again provided the APIM is healthy and without storage issues.

Short version: If you plan on going to Sync 3.4, just reformat the unit and be done with it.

@F150Chief. Thank you very much for your quick response! This is what I suspected given the age of the car! I think I’ll keep it as is, as I really don’t want to brick the unit.

Thanks again.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.