2016 Mustang Carplay USB hub unresponsive

Hi everyone,

I’ve recently acquired a 2016 mustang EcoBoost.

I’ve attempted to update the vehicle to have carplay functionality. I followed the many guides available for updating the software to the latest version and then installing a new centre console USB hub.

The hub I sourced was from a local ford dealership and after installing the software, followed by the hardware. I noticed the hardware was completely unresponsive. The USB hub doesn’t provide data or power with a variety of cables. When switching back to the original hub, power and date are restored.

This prompted me to return the hub as it could’ve been faulty. The second hub had the exact same issues.

HUB P/N: HU5T-14F014-AD

I thought possibly using Cyanlabs to update the sync software to 3.3 build 19052 would help, but it hasn’t changed a thing with regards to the new hub working.

Is there something I’m doing wrong? I’ve heard about an intermediary software step to 2.2 before proceeding, but downgrading doesn’t appear to be an option.

Please let me know if there’s anything I can do to resolve this issue. Ford seems to think it’s a fuse or wiring harness, but that isn’t likely given it works with the previous generation USB hub…

The hub is powered by the APIM. The software will not have any control of the power output the APIM has to the USB hub.

Maybe someone will chime in on the Hub but I would have guessed faulty hub just like you did.

Hi there.

A couple of things.

Even if the hub was not capable of providing CP, it should be recognized by the APIM. We had mane cases where users upgraded their old Sync3 version to 3.4 and the hub was working fine, a popup may appear that said “hubs not supported”, but the hub had power and was usable for playing back music, or charging a phone. Even Android Auto could work, but not CP. For CP as you have read, you need to change the hub → Media Hub, CarPlay Compatible - 2015-2020 Ford/Lincoln - SYNC 3

So that tells mes that the hub is not the issue, there’s no parameter for the APIM to enable or disable the HUB, it’s just hardware right?.

I can’t really say what’s wrong with that, but getting 2 faulty HUBs is quite odd as well.

Do you have an android phone to test?.

I took a look at the wiring under the console and it looks like quite a mess. This might be why?

Should I try to patch to 3.4? I’ve seen some other posts that don’t recommend for 2016 mustangs.

I doubt I got two faulty hubs In a row. It’s not out of the question, but I’d love to take a known working hub and go from there.

All of this just might not be worth it for Carplay…

As we said before, we do not think it’s related to software.
You upgrading to 3.3 without success also points towards that.
Going to 3.4 should not change a thing, but you are free to try.

Hi everyone,

After updating to 3.4, taking apart the console, jiggling around some wires, disconnecting and reconnecting everything… SUCCESS!

1 in 1,000,000 but we’re in business and that makes me very happy.

Thank you for the help.

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.