2016 Mustang Sync3 1.0 updated to 3.0 and no Apple Carplay!

I am not expart, but I am ok with it.
\

Ok.

Based on what you and I have read, it seems your issue was caused because an intermediate build like 2.2.17011 was skipped.

If that’s the issue, this is what I would try after confirming you have the correct hub:

A) Download this file → HN1T-14G381-SA - SYNC 3 APIM Software (IVSU) Database - CyanLabs , which is 2.2.17011.

B) Download this file → JR3T-14G381-AX - SYNC 3 APIM Software (IVSU) Database - CyanLabs, which is 3.0.20204 (your current build).

C) You need to manually create an update USB (as with the ford’s update). Create a folder named SyncMyRide on the root. Place the 2 files from A and B inside that folder, do not extract them, just copy them. To be safe, make sure no other package is inside that folder, so that only these APPS (sync3 versions) packages are located there.

D) Create a text file named ‘autoinstall.lst’ on the USB’s root, make sure the extension is LST and not TXT.

E) Edit the .lst file with this content:

; 2.2.17011 install

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL_PRODUCT]
Item1 = APPS - HN1T-14G381-SA_64817.tar.gz
Open1 = SyncMyRide\HN1T-14G381-SA_64817.tar.gz
Options = AutoInstall

F) Connect the USB to the car, that should install 2.2.17011. Unplug the USB once it’s done.

G) Once it’s installed, as you can image you need now to go back to 3.0.20204. Edit the autoinstall.lst file with this content:

; 3.0.20204 Install

[SYNCGen3.0_ALL_PRODUCT]
Item1 = APPS - JR3T-14G381-AX_1599788486000.TAR.GZ
Open1 = SyncMyRide\JR3T-14G381-AX_1599788486000.TAR.GZ
Options = AutoInstall

H) That should install 3.0.20204 once again.

So, if your issue was caused by skipping 2.2.17011, that should fix it.
I’m applying the same logic that with 3.4 that versions can be interchangable.

1 Like

Thank you! I really appreciate it.

When I downloaded Sync update from Ford, there were a folder “SyncMyRide” with some contents and also autoinstall.lst. So I kind of know what I have to do now.

But, I am not quite sure about the part E) Edit the .lst file with this content. I have never had chance to create .lst file. I think I just have to learn how to do that.

One question. When I create the .lst should I just copy the all content and paste it ?

@SaNdMaN is correct above.

First remember, the file must be named autoinstall.lst, no matter what the content. So for each step you must rename each of these files to autoinstall.lst.

These are the 2 files you will need to get to 3.0.20204, but this is only for the Sync app file and does not include the Sync voice, Gracenote, etc:
autoinstall 17011.txt (155 Bytes)
autoinstall 20204.txt (171 Bytes)
Remember, rename the files to use them.

As far as the rest of the files for 3.0.20204, use this autoinstall.lst file to fully update the APIM.
autoinstall.lst (576 Bytes)

Since you have a NAV 32GB version, it should not be necessary to run the Gracenote delete files.

Hi there, I am new to this site as well. I am trying to help my college son get the Apple carplay in his car for a year now. He has a 2016 Ford Mustang Premium. After doing a lot of research, I purchased this part online HU5Z19A387C but twice now I get this part in the mail instead: HU5T-14F014-AD. A little frustrating. I am going to follow your threat to see if we can “redo” the updates (he did have the software updated to Sync 3, version 3, not sure if he skipped over version 2.2). I guess my question is this, after possibly redoing the updates, will the part HU5T-14F014-AD allow Apple Car Play? If not how do I actually get the REAL part: HU5Z19A387C? Thanks for your patience and your post!

They are indeed the same part.

HU5Z-19A387- *
HU5Z-19A387-A (BLUE BACKLIGHTING) Ford (Wide 1 USB-A Port, w/Pass Through)
HU5Z-19A387-B (BLUE BACKLIGHTING) Ford (Wide 1 USB-A Port, w/Pass Through)
HU5Z-19A387-C (BLUE BACKLIGHTING) Ford (Wide 1 USB-A Port, w/Pass Through)
Interchange Part Number:
HU5T-14F014-AA, HU5T-14F014-AB, HU5T-14F014-AC, HU5T-14F014-AD, HU5Z-14F014-BB
2016-2019 Ford Mustang
2016-2019 Ford Focus
2016-2019 Ford Explorer
2016-2017 Ford Transit

Media Hub, CarPlay Compatible - 2015-2020 Ford/Lincoln - SYNC 3 - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

Once on 3.0.20204 you should be able to have CP by just plugging the phone in with an Apple cable. Is there an issue you are experiencing with CarPlay?

Thank you. My issue is once I plug in the module, it says “USB hub not supported”, and it did the same thing last year with the same parts. I was hoping there would be some new updates this year but nothing has changed. In other words he has never been able to use Apple Car play in his car at all.

What version of Sync are you on now? What does the APIM indicate on the “About” screen?

it says:

Sync 3, software version: 3.0
Build 20204
Ford Motor Company

VIN…

Gracenote version: 1.1.1.1139 (NA-0010)

Navigation Maps Verson: NA 1 14

(I don’t see APIM)…what is that?

Thx

I’m having a similar problem with a 2016 Transit. I first downloaded the update directly from the Ford website. It took about 2 hours but said it was successful, but no CarPlay.

I then found this thread and followed the instructions posted by SaNdMaN above. Once 2.2 was installed, “Android Auto” showed up in the settings but still no CarPlay. I finished updated back to 20204 and “Android Auto” went away but was not replaced by CarPlay.

I haven’t replaced the USB Hub, nor do I know how to check the part number that’s installed.

Would replacing the hub really change the settings available in the Sync Software?

Current versions:

Thank you F150Chief for your input.

D) Create a text file named ‘autoinstall.lst’ on the USB’s root, make sure the extension is LST and not TXT.
E) Edit the .lst file with this content:

I am not computer expart, and above two drocedures are kid of hard for me. Do I need software or application for creating LST file ??

CP and AA do not show up in the settings until you connect a phone. You will likely need to replace the usb hub. You will need to physically check the part number by removing the hub.

APIM is the Sync unit.

Let’s make this easy. See your messages…

1 Like

Unfortunately I can’t find where the Sync unit is. :slight_smile:

The Sync unit is behind the screen, but the usb hub is toward the bottom of the center console. You will need to replace that for CP to work.

Ok, we did replace the “new” hub with the part - AD as mentioned above in the console that you mentioned earlier that is supposedly compatible with CP, but we get the usual “usb hub not supported” error when we plug into the console part.

I did plug my phone (used on two other vehicles for CarPlay successfully) into the USB and it was recognized by the system but only as a media player and not for CarPlay.

Any instructions on how to remove the USB port?

The permissions on your phone need to be updated. Grant permissions to access the phone by Sync.

You must have a CP compatible hub installed for the system to enable CP.

Media Hub, CarPlay Compatible - 2015-2020 Ford/Lincoln - SYNC 3 - Ford / Information - CyanLabs Official Community

Have you tried a Master Reset of the Sync system? This would require you to pair the phones again…