2016 sync 3 version 1.0 build 15139 updating trouble

Hey there, I just got a 2016 navigator. I would love to be able to update it to use carplay with it. I have downloaded the update (from lincolns site) and tried multiple times to update it, but it always comes back and says “Installation Failed, The Installation has run out of space or does not work with this version” I did a quick google search and found this has been a problem to people before. So what options do i have to be able to update my system? thanks for any help

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 1.0.15139

New SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
Installation Failed, The Installation has run out of space or does not work with this version

Update Method: Official Ford

Just use the Syn3updater tool to create a reformat USB and update to the latest 3.4 version. If you enter all your information correctly, it should create a USB with all the files needed. Your sync screen will reboot and you’ll be brought right to the reformat utility.

The jump from 1.0 to 3.0 is pretty big so it probably doesn’t have enough space like it says. The reformat will erase the unit and give you a clean slate on the latest software.

Well, you have two options.
A) Keep troubleshooting the update “Ford” pushed your way.
B) Try using Syn3updater to upgrade to 3.4. Note that you CAN’T go back to 3.0 from 3.4, and since you are a Car Play user you most likely will have to change your USB HUB for Car Play to work with 3.4.

If you want to go with A, post:

• the output for the interrogator log (you can create it with syn3updater)
  • the autoinstall.lst file “Ford” pushed your way.
1 Like

Hey. Thanks for the replies. As much as I hate to admit it, this seems over my head as I don’t understand all of what you’re saying. My neighbor however said he would come over this week and look into it. So maybe he can decipher what needs to be done for me and tell it to me like a 5 year old. Ha. Thank you

What would be the negative of going to 3.4? Like why would I want to go back to 3.0? Thanks

General consensus is that no one misses 3.0… BUT, I’m still on 3.0…
Why?, 3.4 can have some undesired bugs such as a very small (but annoying) skips while playing music from an USB, something that I did use daily some time ago… So that was a big no no for me… Also, it can produce some flickering on the screen when the illumination changes and the screen adapts to it (something that my focus already kinda does, but veeeeeery lightly)…
And to be honest, I hardly use Sync3 anymore… I’ve bought an Android Auto Wireless adapter so Sync3 is almost always on the background…

But that is just me, others love 3.4 because of the new functionalities (such as navigation indication while using android auto on the IPC), the new UI and so on…

Again, it’s personal preference… But you need to understand that you can’t go back to 3.0… Not that you would like to really, but it cannot be done…

1 Like

Thanks for the super informative reply. That’s just what I needed to know. I was thinking it would be easy to update and get CarPlay for my iPhone (really all I want is waze…) but having to swap a usb adapter as well just seems to be getting more complicated. Now I have some thinking to do…

You are welcome. But do not think 3.4 is bad by any mean, ok?.
Those are the single things that would affect me, but there are a LOT of advantages.
Plus, the flickering has been solved in the latest builds for most vehicles, not Focus or Kuga though… And I drive a Focus…

About being a complex task, well, it depends… Replacing an USB HUB is not that harder than changing a light bulb in your car… You will have to do a bit of unmounting, but not big of a deal… You can search for videos on Youtube to get a general idea.

I’m 95% sure you would have to upgrade your HUB should you fo to 3.4, I’m no that sure about 3.0 though (since “Ford” is pushing the upgrade your way officially)… So you could try that first…

Thanks for always having an informative reply. I would love to have waze on the screen for driving so I may go for the 3.4 upgrade. I just watched the hub swap, and yes that looks pretty easy. The software part is stressful, as it’s totally out of my realm, but may be worth it. Thank you again.

Well I have the day off so I think I will try to tackle updating the system again today. I watched a few videos on the syn3 updater and it looks easy as well. I also read on a few forums about the 3.0 ford update and it seems people are having to change some coding in the update so it does it in sections. I’ll try to take a picture of my update ford sent me and post it here. Also going to go ahead and order the new usb hub. Any supporters of this site that I should buy the hub from?

So I just tried the syn3 update on my Lincoln and it said invalid or unsigned file. I tried a master test and tried again and same message appeared. What should I try now?

As you have not provided any detail on what you are doing, I can’t say anything

Ok gotcha. So I’m still on the same version 1.0 as above, and I am trying to use the syn3 updater tool to update to version 3.4. So I downloaded it all to my usb drive and went and plugged it into the car and after a few minutes that’s the message that popped up. Does this help? Sorry I really don’t know what I’m doing so if there is information that I’m not sharing please let me know. Thanks

So more than likely you have an old H series APIM. Upgrading that may not work and if it does it probably will not run very well. Not to say it is not possible but that is probably what you will get. Just my opinion but I would find a used K series on eBay and swap it out.

Oh ok, understood.

Let’s do this:

• create and run an interrogator log and post the XML.
  • post the log for the USB you created for upgrading.

We had some reports for some very old units that would not take the update, but not with that message…

Okay great will do that and reply this weekend. Thanks for the reply and help.

Any update?

Hey there. I am going to re try this weekend. Had to read more about how to do an interrogation log (I am not very tech savvy) so would like to try and figure out how to do that and post this weekend. Thanks!!!

Since this thread has been open for over a month and you have gone silent for over 10 days, I’m closing this thread due to inactivity.