2017 F150 Limited SYNC 3 Build: 3.4.22048 seems to be missing features

I have a 2017 F150 Limited with the 8 inch cluster and 8 inch display. I have updated my Sync 3 to build 3.4.20220 and I have done the Fmods usb jailbreak on it. I feel like I am missing features like the calm screen and I am not sure why. Everything hardware related is factory. I have enabled the calm screen with Forscan but I still do not see it. Is it possible to make my dash and radio look like the newer trucks or am I missing something? I have access to Ford Oasis and Sync information. I have been using Forscan for a few years now to modify as built data but I am new to jailbreaking and modifying module firmware. I will update what my current IPC and APIM numbers are shortly. My biggest concern is flashing the wrong firmware and bricking anything.

SYNC Region: North America & Canada

Navigation Variant: Yes

Install Type: Original OEM / Stock

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

New SYNC Version: 3.4.20220

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: 2.10.8.0

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: Yes

Syn3 Updater Log File

I feel like I am missing features like the calm screen and I am not sure why. Everything hardware related is factory. I have enabled the calm screen with Forscan but I still do not see it.

Calm screen should be under settings → display. Note that for this option to show up you will need to have a certain firmware level on the APIM. You can read more about that here: Updating APIM Firmware (Calibration Files) - Ford - CyanLabs Official Community

Is it possible to make my dash and radio look like the newer trucks or am I missing something?

Radio should look the same as everyone else, except for station logos (depends on region). The new Sirius XM player/interface will require new radio hardware and is not available on older vehicles with stock equipment. Your dash (I’m assuming you mean IPC), will remain the same as stock. Any new IPC firmware you apply will likely only provide stability and bug fixes.

My biggest concern is flashing the wrong firmware and bricking anything.

Flashing new APIM firmware is probably the riskiest procedure here, older units are quite finicky. A 2017 should be relatively stable for firmware updates, but you never know. If all you want is to get calm screen working, I personally don’t think its worth the risk.

I have done the Fmods usb jailbreak on it

As for the jailbreak that is not something that is discussed on the forums here.

I should also note that 3.4.22020 is a RC build and not final/stable. There are also missing packages that should go along with it. The last “stable” release is 3.4.21265.

This is noted in the updater description.

Thank you for your response. I updated my APIM a few weeks ago and at that time 3.4.22020 was the newest firmware listed so that is what I went with. I have seen some pictures of others IPC and APIM and I feel like they look different/nicer than mine. Is that because of updating to a My2020 APIM or am I misunderstanding that?

The actual software is exactly the same as what you have. The screen itself may look nicer physically as Ford started using new panels a few years back, but that’s about it.’

Can you post a picture demonstrating a specific feature you are missing? Not sure how much I can help without more details.

I will as soon as I get my APIM to come back to life. I tried using Forscan 2.4.5 to update the firmware to the latest and it is now unresponsive. I am not able to write to it with forscan or IDS. I also used the Sync 3 updater to create a usb to downgrade to 3.4.21265 but my APIM is unresponsive. I have tried a power cycle and reset with Forscan.

Yeah, it’s really a coin toss as to whether or not firmware updates succeed. You can try this procedure, it may help:
APIM Firmware Flash Rescue Gen 2 (PRE-2018.5).txt (1.2 KB)

You can probably find all the required files on the forum. I had saved that document on my computer a while back from @F150Chief - it may be outdated. You can also try the latest unofficial FORScan beta:
https://forscan.org/download/FORScanSetup2.4.6.test20220504.exe

1 Like

Thank you. I am working on recovering it now.

3 Likes

Great. Now downgrade to 3.4.21265. This is the most proven stable version right now and compatible with the FMods stuff. (We do not discuss that here due to legal reasons.) Keep in mind that the unit might behave a bit differently with those installed modifications.

Calm screen will require firmware upgrades. Also will the FMods installations. There is a thread on the FMods website for this in the Sync 3 subject area.

1 Like

Thank you for your help. I am downgrading to 3.4.21265 as I type.

I think I have been mixing up firmware upgrades and software upgrades. Do you know what firmware I need to have the calm screen working?

Nevermind…

Seriously thank you.

If you followed the document above it should work…

See your PM…

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.