2018 Fusion Hybrid on 3.0.20204 to 3.4

Hi all - hope I’m posting this correctly and in the right place -

I am looking at updating my 2018 Fusion Hybrid from the 3.0.20204 to 3.4 using the manual method described here:

I have a couple of questions to ask first.

1. Is this the best/only or easiest way to do this?
  2. If something goes wrong in the update, do I risk bricking the system?
  3. Will I still be able to update maps? I have a map subscription with Ford, and am curious how map updates are handled with this update.

Any input on this would be appreciated!

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

New SYNC Version: 3.4.23188

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: CyanLabs Manual Method

This is the only way to do this.

It’s always a risk but highly unlikely this will happen. I have never bricked one.

No you will not. The maps you bought will be specific to the earlier version of SYNC. Usually though you will get the map update from Cyanlabs months before Ford releases it to you. That may not always be the case though.

1 Like

Hello.

The automated method is the easiest way to do it → Easily Update SYNC 3 Using Our Automated Method - CyanLabs

1 Like

Thank you both for the reply. One additional question, if necessary, is reverting back to the old system as easy as simply restoring factory defaults or resetting off the battery?

I think you should read the guides, both of them have these big red warnings at the top: :wink:

2 Likes

I see that reading is not my strong suit in the morning hours. haha

Haha, makes sense, but keep in mind that’s how you break things :wink:

Either process is well documented and as Bill said there’s always a risk, which is greatly increased by not reading/researching: Not reading or not following well documented instructions is the top reason (I would say) as to why users brick their units.

If you go after this, there’s no turning back.

True enough. I’m mostly now just checking to see and make sure it plays nice with what’s loaded in the car too. I had looked into this all a couple years back, but just never got around to it. Now that the car is paid off I’m coming back around to it - looks like I forgot a few more things than I thought.

Thanks all for the replys :slight_smile:

Syn3updater and the knowledge base had come a long way since then.
If you are the first owner of the car and the unit has not been serviced, you should be good to go.
And if you have doubts, Syn3updater will have you run some checks before proceeding.

1 Like

Thanks for the information! I’m the original owner, yeah. I just ran an OTA update on a 2019 Edge I have to 3.4 - since for some reason Ford thinks that system is somehow vastly different from the 2018 Fusion. It looks good and functions well, so I will do some more reading and prep work to go through the Syn3 update materials. Thank you again for the help! :slight_smile:

Having a 2018 Fusion Hybrid I can say that one you have checked the APIM with the interrogator and verified that you don’t have MY2020 hardware due to a previous repair that reformatting is the way to go if you can.

Take the car for a drive if you don’t have a good battery charger to hook it up to.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.