Add FordPass to Ford Explorer 2015

Thanks.

I can certainly echo this, along with many other people. In my case it was a FordPass add-in for the HomeBridge platform (designed to bridge various devices into Apple HomeKit). My account got locked out with no warning about a month ago and it took Ford two weeks to get around to unlocking it for me (after numerous phone calls). They stated unequivocally that if they detected any further third-party accesses they would lock my account permanently.

Hopefully Ford will officially sanction some sort of API access at some point, but until they do you are playing with fire if you use any third party sites to interface with your Ford account (at least in the USA). Plenty of data points on this all over the net by now.

Even if it’s just for initial activation? It seems they use the ConnectedCar SDK to complete the initial activation, and then you can use the official ford pass app.

YMMV. I agree that site is a bit of a different case because it’s just a one-off access to get your VIN activated, whereas these others are constantly using your credentials to pass commands or get status.

But I’m not sure any of us can say with any certainty that it is safe to use the connectedcar site. Probably worth a shot if you can’t get it to activate via the normal method, since FordPass will unlock your account once as a courtesy.

Yeah I’d definitely try the FordPass app first, then move to the connectedcar site if all else fails. My problem is that my vehicle is CGEA 1.2, so I’m still trying to see if I could add a new telematics unit to get the FordPass functionality.

So yes you can add a TCU to a 15 Explorer. The only thing that will work is the vehicle location services and the Hotspot if you choose to use that.

Door locking/Unlocking and remote start will not work as this feature is not set to work in these BCM’s and the Calibrations they have.

The 15 NEVER had a TCU so there is no spot for it or wiring. They did not add a TCU until some 17 model years and than more wide spread in 18. Here is a pic of mine installed in my 15 Explorer in what would be the factory location for a later model. You can also see the antenna up top for the cell connection.

Edit: @bill32399’s got the info you need!

Yeah I’m really not sure on that. You could try searching that megathread over at f150forum for various keywords–2015, explorer, CGEA1.2, etc. to see if anyone has already tried this on your type of vehicle. I do remember posts saying that CGEA1.2 won’t work at all, but maybe that was with the J and newer TCUs?

The H modem works even on the 2013 C-Max, but that is a C1MCA vehicle, not CGEA1.2. Little harm in trying though–other than your costs and time. The biggest impediment is that H TCUs are a bit scarce compared to the later models. With some time and perseverance you should find one though. They are sourced from 2017 Escapes (and I think only the Titanium trim). I was unable to determine if Ford shipped them in any other vehicles. They do sell them new right now because that is the model Ford is using to swap out the old 3G modems in their older lineup of PHEV/BEV vehicles (C-Max Energi, Fusion Energi and Ford Focus Electric).

I am running a JL5T series from a 2018 Explorer in mine with Hotspot and it communicates on the ICAN network just fine. Again it only shows location in Fordpass and the Hotspot does work in the APIM.

1 Like

Ah that sucks. Even with the HJ5T TCUs? What model is yours? Edit: Just saw your most recent reply.

I originally started with an H series that did not have Hotspot and only location services worked. So you can set it to CGEA 1.2 as some models with a TCU must have had this but the Calibrations in our modules just don’t have the correct communication paths to make it work. People who say that nothing works are just ignorant.

Ah ok. Are you sure this isn’t related to trying to activate an older vehicle through the official FordPass app? I thought the whole point of the connectedcar SDK was a workaround to make FordPass think it was compatible.

With an SDK your using a 3rd party app which is going to get you in trouble with Ford. But even using an SDK wont make something work that was never intended to work.

Ah ok. Yeah that forum post says that your vehicle needs to have CGEA 1.3. I’m assuming you tried it with remote start enabled in the IPC and BdyCm along with phone as key in the asbuilt too?

I have tried more than probably anyone to get it to work. I went as far as adding a Gateway module to my system and much more. Short of rewiring your whole Explorer to make it CGEA 1.3 and changing out all the modules in it($$$$), it’s not gonna work. And even if you did get it to a 1.3 I couldn’t even guarantee it would work. It all comes down to the BCM and ECU than.

Personally, I was just happy to see I could track my vehicle and know where my wife left it. :slight_smile:

That sucks for us, this is like the number one upgrade I’d love to add successfully. At least you got tracking out of it though, that is a good feature. I just added the five btn remote start key to mine and had it cut, so I’m happy with that.

Yeah I don’t think it’ll ever work with CGEA 1.2. Sucks because I’d love to have it.

I also added the remote start to mine. Was pretty easy to do.

Yeah it was real easy. I even got my local Ford dealer to cut the key for free. Then since I had the two original keys I just did the 8 key turns to program the IKT, and followed the manual for the ignition programming. Enabled remote start in the IPC and BdyCm and tada.

1 Like

Well, what is funny, if you use Ford Pass to try and start the 15 Explorer while it is running it will tell you it can’t start it because it is running. I think this is basiclly becuse it knows the ignition status is all.

Really? Well at least we know it’s communicating somewhat lol. That’s strange though it can’t start it but knows it’s running. :thinking: