Add FordPass to Ford Explorer 2015

If you use Forscan you can see the TCU knows the ignition status is all. It sends this out on the network so Modules like the APIM know when to turn on.

I guess my point is that the TCU gets a lot of info regardless, but it can’t send out the right signals that it needs to start and Lock/Unlock. The part that stood out was that it transferred this info through FordPass.

Ah ok, yeah that is pretty interesting. It’s basically teasing us at this point :rofl:. I wonder how that smart link OBD thing communicated? I’m assuming it was much more simplistic than the TCU though.

The TCU will know most anything about the vehicle if it can communicate to the APIM, IPC, and BCM. The SmartLink was just a slightly dumbed down FordPass modem. It communicates on the same CANBUS and talks to the same modules. The features you can use are set in the Ford servers to determine the interface and permissions thru the FordPass app on the phone and vehicle.

Yeah I remember you saying that before. I’m wondering if it’s more of a permissions thing rather than hardware.

Yes, it is. Mostly…

It’s amazing no one has found a work around for the pre CGEA 1.3 vehicles.

It’s just a compatibility issue with CGEA 1.2 feature coding vs CGEA 1.3. To solve it you would need to make changes to the firmware and network architecture in your vehicle. This comes down to lots of dollars and risk. Like @bill32399 stated above, he tried a lot of things and even added a GWM with newer BCM, etc., still not working properly. The same can be said with C1CMA vehicles and the newer CGEA 1.3 vehicles utilizing FDRS in place of IDS. The automotive industry has a habit of obsoleteness, and the lack of interest in backwards compatibility. This is not unique to Ford.

Yeah like you and @bill32399 said it really isn’t worth rewiring the whole vehicle and replacing tons of modules, hundreds of dollars later for an app with remote start and locks. Even more so since it’s not guaranteed to work.

So on a CGEA 1.2 Explorer the IPC is the Gateway for the ICAN network and the TCU runs on the ICAN network. All the other networks (HS & MS Can) on 1.2 go through the BCM. Nothing in this configuration is setup to start the vehicle this way via the ICAN. So the IPC would need the correct calibration, which does not exist, to do this. Than the BCM would need to be able to look for these signals on the ICAN network.

In a CGEA 1.3 Explorer the GWM is the gateway for all the networks. The TCU operates on the HS3 network in this configuration. It sends the start and lock signals to the GWM on HS3 which than sends it to the BCM to start the truck.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.