APIM HS4 Capable

Hello, who knows if APIM 2018 NO NAV (Part number: H1BT-14G371-AFC) ignoring firmware but taking only hardware into consideration supports HS4 CAN network?

SYNC Region: EU

Navigation Variant: Non Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: Retrofit

Old SYNC Version: 2.3.17109

New SYNC Version: 3.4.23188

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: CyanLabs Manual Method

It probably can but it’s probably not wired for this. Is this in the 2020 Fiesta MK8? This car should support it, though I’m guessing this is not why you are asking.

Then I saw this:
I retrofitted my Fiesta MK8 which previously had Sync 2.5, originally equipped with the 8" K1BT-18B955-FC display and I fitted an APIM Part number: H1BT-14G371-AFC

You should have used at least a K-series APIM for this swap. as the H-series will likely not support certain functions of the vehicle without firmware upgrades.

Curious to hear more details. An H series APIM is pretty old.

I see you posted in another thread this is an upgrade from the smaller screen. Knowing that I would recommend going to a K series APIM if the H does not work.

1 Like

Yes, my car is from year 2020.
My GWM has native support for HS4 (K1BT-14F642-BC) and has pins 6 and 7, regarding the APIM I installed 1U5T-14G375-CA calibration and 1U5T-14G374-EH strategy, I had to do because with this GWM old APIM firmware could not communicate with it and did not receive the CAN message to boot. However, I would like to ask you another question, considering that my car is equipped with a TCU on HS4, from there I get the blue connector of the GPS antenna, and shortly I intend to change APIM with a model with NAV and I would like to know if I can use the GPS cable from the TCU to use NAV. To be honest I’m not 100% sure that it comes from TCU, but I assume so, surely you know more about it and will be able to give me an appropriate answer about it.

I just purchased a 2021 APIM NAV P/N LU5T-14G371-GNC on eBay, my car is from year 2020, I hope it properly works.

It should work fine. Just don’t reformat that APIM and you will probably have no problems. I have 2 L series in my 2 of my cars and they work great.

1 Like

That’s cool!
And do you have any information on this?

However, I would like to ask you another question, considering that my car is equipped with a TCU on HS4, from there I get the blue connector of the GPS antenna, and shortly I intend to change APIM with a model with NAV and I would like to know if I can use the GPS cable from the TCU to use NAV. To be honest I’m not 100% sure that it comes from TCU, but I assume so, surely you know more about it and will be able to give me an appropriate answer about it.

You will need to keep the GPS connected to the APIM. The TCU does not get GPS, only cellular in the US, but in EU you may have a model with GPS. I believe the GPS for the TCU is only for emergency services in EU, not sure. In 2020 thru 2022 there have been a lot of changes with the introduction of the Sync 4 systems and support leading to that. You might have to connect one or the other to see which way your system will work. I am thinking that you will use the APIM antenna and not bother with the TCU antenna for GPS.

The LU5T APIM will work fine. You cannot reformat that unit, be aware.

Thank you for abou this but I didn’t quite understand the matter regarding the GPS, consider that my car is European, TCU have P/N LR3T-14G08-VE, I can try to connect the GPS that comes from TCU to see if it works the NAV? If it didn’t work I would have to install a specific antenna for Sync 3, I assume ORIGINALE FORD ANTENNA GPS 1876356 per ECOSPORT FIESTA VI KUGA II MONDEO IV .
And if I were to install this antenna could I risk losing some features of TCU or having some DTCs?

You will need to use Forscan to make sure that HS4 is turned on in the APIM.

Yes I know, AsBuilt configuration is not a problem, what I would like to know is if I can use GPS connector that comes from the TCU for NAV.

Sync 3 systems do not typically use the TCU for NAV support. Sync 4 systems do use the TCU for NAV, but they also have a completely different system for this. I cannot be 100% sure because I have not tested an EU TCU setup with Sync 3 myself, but experience says you will need an APIM GPS antenna for the NAV.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply, I’ll do some testing and let you know if it works with TCU GPS or not.

1 Like

If you’re going to try adding HS4 using the APIM you’ll need to run from the APIM to the GWM (add the pins there) and then from there to the TCU or whatever module(s) you’re trying to connect to HS4.
Even though the gateway module may not support HS4, if I’m not mistaken the OBD2 adapter will need the pins to reach whatever module has been moved from HS3 to HS4 as the data path will no longer be available.
There a guy in Belgium that did a write up on doing this with his Mondeo.

Hi, thank you for the reply, however I confirm that my GWM supports HS4, furthermore TCU is already wired to be on HS4.

1 Like

I have updates about thread regarding GPS, considering that my car was originally born with Sync 2.5 and looking at electrical diagrams related to it, I confirm that GPS cable I currently have does not come from TCU but from roof antenna, so basically the problem with NAV should not exist. I also carried out some checks in Test mode from Sync and confirmed the reception of GPS signal from the satellites. I attach some pics.

Obviously everything will be confirmed when I receive APIM with NAV.

Would love to read about this if you have a link.

Would that have been Thiery

1 Like

It may have been,
I’ll have to go hunting for it, I came across is when I started looking at changing out the TCU on my 2018 Fusion Platinum HEV for one with more capability.

That’s the problem with having a hybrid, can’t drop a tune in one so you’re limited on what you can mod, I’d already added rear fogs and Mondeo power fold mirrors along with Steeda strut tower brace/RSB so you have to dig for anything else you can play with…

Correct. Thiery has supported this forum for quite a while. He is very knowledgeable with the Sync systems.