Black Screen after update from Sync 3 v3.0 to v3.3 - Ford Mustang 2018

I think he is right; the unit was replaced with a NEW service unit which probably has the new eMMC version. These “NEW” units are not remanufactured but are Ford Service replacement units. This is not the first one of these I’ve seen. The vehicle has several service issues that were addressed by Ford, but I cannot see the details without paying for a report.

1FA6P8TH9J5114739.ab (28.2 KB)
Anyways, the original APIM unit from factory based on VIN:
7D0
F10A>GB5T-14G379-AA
F110>DSHB5T-14G371-CA
F111>HL1T-14G380-AB
F113>JR3T-14G371-BED Original Part Number.
F124>HB5T-14G375-BA
F141>WWB73V2C
F16B>HB5T-14G379-BA
F188>HB5T-14G374-CA
F1D0>94E36DBD2D2A
F1D1>94E36DBD2D2B

From link:

From FORScan:
APIM - Accessory Protocol Interface Module
Part number: JR3T-14G371-BJD
Calibration level: JR3T-14G371-BJD
Strategy: HB5T-14G374-CA
Calibration: HB5T-14G375-BA
VIN: 1FA6P8TH9J5114739

It might be possible to recover the unit depending on the screen model.

@Matheo ,

We will need the screen part number and the APIM part number labels, take pictures. (Like the pic above)

2 Likes

It seems we can no longer trust J series not being MY20 as before…

1 Like

Yep. That is my thought. I am wondering if they can be identified by the interrogator. We already known this part number is one of them.

MY18 was JA, this presumed MY20 is JR
MY18 has 14G370 has 2nd qualifier, this presumed MY20 has 14G371.

Relevant?, not sure…

1 Like

different parts

So if I understand correctly, if Ford replaced only the APIM unit but not the screen, I may be able to do this recovery procedure You mentioned in this thread:

Base part number.

Year and Product Line codes.

It might be possible.

Wouldn’t the update go normally if the screen is older generation in the first place? I mean, in the fix, I have to instal the update from the cyanlabs, not the original software, correct? So in this setup (older screen and MY20 APIM), the update should succeed. Or maybe I’m missing something…

Anyways, thank you for Your effort! I will send the pictures of the parts tomorrow.

Good night!

The screen and APIM were probably replaced as a unit. This is usually the repair policy, so you got both. That’s why we need to verify the part numbers.

There are 2 issues with MY20…

1. Display being different
  2. eMMC being incompatible

Some clarifications about this…
There’s no-original and original software, the packages you install with Syn3Updater are the same as Ford’s, they are Ford’s, downloaded from Ford’s servers; Syn3Updater is just a facilitator.

About the old screen scenario yes, it should work. And I say should because we had some cases where users told us it didn’t work for them, but we also had users that solved the issue that way… So, should work, no 100% guarantee.

The real issue is that the leaked reformat tool does not have the necessary drivers for newer screens, thus ending in a black screen scenario.

1 Like

Not in this case, the issue is likely that the eMMC chip is incompatible with the reformat tool

So it seems, so that’s the portion of users that reported a bricked unit even with an older screen.

Do we have a list of all these users/threads?

I do not, but i remember reading both success and failure cases…

Manufacture date on the APIM is 6/24/2020. If replaced with the screen than it is prob a 2020 model. I’ll let the experts chime in though.

Well, no manufacturing date on the screen so… But I’ll be buying probably 2018 APIM no the less, because it’s the cheapest compatible unit I found.

Edit. Bought this one. Hope it will work fine. Sill able to return it though if You tell me I can recover the previous one :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the pictures, i’ll do some research after work if i remember.