Black Screen after update from Sync 3 v3.0 to v3.3 - Ford Mustang 2018

I was planning downloading the factory as build directly via forscan, because i have a picture of my original as build settings and I can see if it checks up. But thank You for the file.

As the firmware version of the Sync 3 goes, I will update you on this. I guess it will be some build of v3.0 and I will have European language pack, because my new unit was produced in Hungary. So I guess, the purpose of the failed update will be archived non the less. I think I won’t be able to update via official ford website though, not to upload the US firmware again.

I believe it to be the case as well. When it comes to programming the eMMC, I’m aware of some Chinese tools (like so: https://pl.aliexpress.com/item/1005001484737834.html?_randl_currency=PLN&_randl_shipto=PL&src=google&src=google&albch=shopping&acnt=708-803-3821&slnk=&plac=&mtctp=&albbt=Google_7_shopping&albagn=888888&isSmbAutoCall=false&needSmbHouyi=false&albcp=9594049142&albag=100017018638&trgt=542650620136&crea=pl1005001484737834&netw=u&device=c&albpg=542650620136&albpd=pl1005001484737834&gclid=Cj0KCQiA8vSOBhCkARIsAGdp6RT0U5rMfoaUoWK7mS-kTqnxf_AfmGWRZiVHazTQ4tifA4pG_899W1gaAtAAEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds&aff_fcid=2dd5cf56a792455ab482849415cea73c-1641932759300-03455-UneMJZVf&aff_fsk=UneMJZVf&aff_platform=aaf&sk=UneMJZVf&aff_trace_key=2dd5cf56a792455ab482849415cea73c-1641932759300-03455-UneMJZVf&terminal_id=1222503e851e44549e2fc3b4a366b95f) that would let me access the eMMC memory directly, but I think I will pass on this :wink:

I’m just curious why the module was replaced and if I will have the similar problems with 2018 version I ordered, but seeing how much people have stable 2018 units with zero problems, I hope for the best.

If the one you ordered was manufactured in 2018 and has the older eMMC chip, you should be completely fine using the reformat.

Well, I can’t be sure if the screen isn’t from 2020, so I probably won’t risk bricking the unit for the second time

I would pass also. BTW - don’t buy that one, issues with newer MY20+ units.

The issues with the later Sync units are not all that common but it does happen. The G and H series are much more prone to issues, the J series are pretty good. As was mentioned above, we have only seen about 3 of these out of the hundreds that have used the software.

Should be fine, I agree.

I will have a 2020 unit 64 gb EU maps tomorrow. The 2018 unit I ordered had a different antena/gps connector, so I had to return it.

I’ll post here tomorrow if everything is working. Will uploading my original as build file have an impact on GPS functionality? I guess, i’ll have to change the country code from original as build 5553 (USA) to 504C (PL). Anything else?

Should be fine. Just don’t reformat it…! :grinning:

OK! Will keep in mind :smiley:

1 Like

It turns out, the APIM unit i bought has Sync3 v3.4 despite being originally Sync3 v3.2

Here is the photo of the unit:

And here photo ot the “About SYNC” screen:

Now, after installing the unit, I made a factory reset. Then I uploaded the factory as build data to the unit. Uploading the factory as build made the navigation options disappear, although, the map files are still in the about screen:

To have the access to the maps, I guess I would need European Mustang (preferably Polish) from 2020 as build data, to make it work. @F150Chief is it possible for you to download such file as you did with my car?

**Edit: I was able to find where I can download the as build data. I found VIN numbers of some 2020 Polish mustangs, so I will be digging into it and chcecking if it will make things work: **
https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

Here is the as build data that was originally on the unit I bought:

What is more, the 3.4 version of Sync is a little laggy comparing to the experience I had with v3.0. I guess, there isn’t a way I can go back to the 3.2 or 3.3 version?

You can downgrade to a 3.3 build if you like, Syn3updater can create the USB for you, keeping maps and all.

Just make sure to not reformat the unit.

You are the only one who will say this, SYNC 3.4 is noticeably faster,

1 Like

It also struck me as very strange. Perhaps these are my prejudices against the appearance of the new interface, but before that I went straight through the various options, and now it sometimes takes a second…

You can configure the APIM via “easy mode” which will let you alter the as built with direct human readable variables. Instead of the “as built” config option just execute the regular config option. You can then search for nav and enable it along with any other options you like.

I am working on an asbuilt for you…It will take about an hour.

2 Likes

Wow, thank You so much! :slight_smile:

Great to know that it will work! Is it possible to upgrade my current 3.4 version to a new built by this method if I decide to keep it?

Yes, as long as you configure Syn3updater correctly and keep MY20 protection active for security purposes, yes: you can jump between Sync3 versions.

Jumping back and forth Sync3 versions is easy, you just need to install the APPS package, and that’s it. And that can be done with AUTOINSTALL, which is safe in your case.

@Matheo,

Here is your new asbuilt for the LU5T-14G371-GMF unit. This will fix the NAV and enable the rear camera properly. The proper values specific to your vehicle model are included, like wheelbase, etc.

Load the LU5T-14G371-GMF Revised Asbuilt.abt file below into the APIM:

1. Open FORScan, go to the APIM asbuilt screen.
  2. Select LOAD ALL button.
  3. Open the LU5T-14G371-GMF Revised Asbuilt.abt file.
  4. The data should populate. Select “WRITE ALL”.
  5. FORScan will give you a message that the checksums are not correct. This is ok, just say YES to write the data and let FORScan calculate the checksums.
  6. The data should write and the APIM should reboot.
  7. Once the APIM is back up, save the new data to a new file. This is now your backup for the new asbuilt.
  8. Check everything out and see if it is all ok.

1FA6P8TH9J5114739 APIM Asbuilt.txt (449 Bytes)
LU5T-14G371-GMF Original Asbuilt.txt (555 Bytes)
LU5T-14G371-GMF Revised Asbuilt.abt (486 Bytes)
Sync 3 APIM As Built Database Matheo.xlsx (85.2 KB)

BTW - 3.4.20351 is about 4 revs behind and has some small bugs. If you plan on keeping 3.4, upgrade to the latest 3.4.21265, as Sandman suggests.
If you plan on going back to 3.3, then 3.3.19025 is the latest version available for that series.
Use the Syn3 Updater to downgrade to 3.3.19025. (4U5T-14G381-AN).
It is recommended that you also downgrade the voice file, (4U5T-14G391-AJ).

5 Likes

Done. It seems to work perfectly. Thank You for Your tremendous help!

I’ll educate myself more about the Updater and I’ll start with the latest build of version 3.4 to see if lags disappear. If I already have 3.4, I may at least give it a try.

2 Likes

Above and beyond as usual!

4 Likes

Sorry for being late on photos, but there You go. I tried to make the numbers on the chips as crisp as possible.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 3 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.