Bricked APIM

Bought a new van (2018 plate),
Ran the interrogator file to see if an update was available and it came back with 3.0.blah. thought great I can update.

Used the updater on auto mode and it selected ‘not my20’. plugged the usb stick in and almost instant black screen and no power to the usb ports!!

Got the APIM out and its got manufactured 2023 on it!!! Great I thought, that’s fucked it!!

Looking at replacement APIMs and mine if JK2T-14G371-FDD but all the ones I can find say they’re compatible with my van but the last 3 letters are different?

My questions are does it matter that the last 3 letters are different and do I need to do anything else other than just plug it in?

Thanks in advance

SYNC Region: EU

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: MY20

Install Type: Unknown

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.30304

New SYNC Version: 3.4.22110

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
Nope

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: 2.12.2.0 (Stable)

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: yes

Syn3 Updater Log File

Didn't get one

Unfortunately you have a model that is not known to us, added to the DB to prevent it being flagged as not MY20 in the future, as per the application, this is not 100% accurate and you are urged to do your own diagnosis and CyanLabs takes not responsibility for any damages.

No and the first 4 don’t always matter either, refer to SYNC 3 APIM Hardware Database - CyanLabs

You will need to flash your AsBuilt to the new unit via ForScan or UCDS

First of all, it’s really unfortunate that you are the first user to report having that MY20 APIM model.
To give you a little more detail, a J series APIM like yours should not be MY20 but Ford started pushing J series replacement units that are in fact MY20 (yeah, Ford’s logic). So finding these units that do not adhere to Ford’s naming convention is sadly “user driven”.

Looking into the positive side of things, other users will be warned about this particular APIM model in the future thanks to your experience.

Speaking about the unit, do you have a picture of the back of it?.

ok, cool,
Not a problem - I don’t blame anyone here for it.

in terms of the flashing, OBDLINK EX FORScan OBD Adapter? and do I need to download what’s on my existing one then swap it and upload?

I guess there’s a guide for this somewhere

Expensive mistake but everyday is a school day

If you can get the as-built from your old one sure, if not you can pull it from ford, I’m unsure how that is done since etis stopped being available as I don’t use Forscan

Thank you for the picure.
After a quick search, I can’t find other references for that APIM model.
There’s something that’s odd on that sticker: the model is shown twice:

But after searching, latest J series APIMs seem to have that information as well, so there’s no obvious detail to doubt its authenticity at the moment.

About the original asbuilt, you can try this site → https://www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt
If your vehicle came with Sync3 from the factory, you should be able to do so.

https://www.motorcraftservice.com/AsBuilt

If you have a 2018 vehicle and the manufactuing date on the APIM is 2023 than it has been replaced and is a 2020+ APIM for sure.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.