Can i update to sync 3.4 with the reformat

hi i wanted to know if i can use the reformat method or not my apim unit it was replace by the look of it by ford and the date stamp is 2019 but it jr3t-14g371-ffb which said it can’t be will i be right in saying i still can’t do it thanks

SYNC Region: EU

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Unknown

Install Type: OEM Replacement

Old SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

New SYNC Version: 3.0.20204

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: Official Ford

You should run the interrogator log or check our SYNC 3 APIM Hardware Database - CyanLabs .

You can’t reformat it, it’s MY20 hardware.

Depending on the vehicle it came out of you can have a J series APIM in a 2019MY car.
The 2019MY Escape/Kuga stayed on 3.0.x with older J series APIMS, those models only went to 3.2.x/3.4.x in 2020.

That is a Ford Service Replacement unit for a warranty repair, JR3T-14G371-FFB. This is documented in various threads on this site. It is MY20+ eMMC, so don’t reformat the unit.

If you look on the back of the unit, it will have the warranty repair number.

1 Like

That’s not really the point here…
Having a J series OEM APIM is not the issue… having that J series replacement APIM is a very big issue. If you search a little bit for that model you will find countless cases of black screens after reformatting it, it’s really well documented. Even if the sticker says it was made in 2019 I would not risk it…

On a final note @michaelpearce : keep in mind that you can’t use Syn3updater for reformatting it, since Syn3updater uses the leaked reformat tool from Ford… Your plan B, if you really want to upgrade, is to look into FMODS’ universal reformat package which can run on MY20 hardware. But, that’s up to you and for you to research (we do not provide support for it).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.