Does 3.4 Solve Android Auto/Ringtone Change/Can't Hear Calls Issue?

Hello, everybody. Have been aware of Cyanlabs for awhile but have not taken the plunge in upgrading from 3.0 20204 (non-Nav) to 3.4.

I’m reluctant to monkey around with things on my 2018 F-150 Lariat, but no stranger to monkeying around with computers. However, there is one persistent issue that I’m tired of waiting for an official fix from Ford (they’ve been aware of it a LONG time), and if 3.4 fixes the problem I will probably upgrade.

It’s well documented that Android Auto or just Sync3 has problems with both sides hearing phone calls if Sync3 is set to Ringtone 1, or any ringtone other than “Use Phone Ringtone”. However, Sync3 will change the ringtone back to Ringtone 1 and you won’t hear calls at inopportune times if you start the car while phone Bluetooth is connected to another device, in my case, earbuds while leaving the gym.

Does the latest version of 3.4 still have this problem, or has it been solved?

And a short second question I’d like confirmation of…

If I upgrade to 3.4 there is no way to go back to my “stock” Sync3 configuration with no evidence there had ever been a mod?

Thank you in advance for all replies and thank you to Cyanlabs for providing such a great service for people.

Hello.

About Android Auto and calls, I remember that something was fixed about calls, but what you are saying is way specific. If you check the lastest builds feedback threads, toy will see that it says AA issue was solved, but I’m not 100% that’s what your are describing. Maybe you could read those threads or search the forums.

About going back no, you can’t, since going to 3.4 requires reformating the unit since the partition layout is different. So to go back to 3.0 you would need to repartition (reformat ) the unit, but there’s no tool available for end users to do so.

1 Like

Thank you for the confirmation on the downgrade back to “stock” 3.0.

Regarding the AA issue, here’s an official Google response to the issue from over 9 months ago, still not resolved: [FAQ] Unable to talk or hear when answering incoming calls on Ford Sync 3 - Android Auto Community

I have read that 21194 (and presumably later builds, Highly Anticipated Ford SYNC Update Launches with Major Android Auto Fix - autoevolution) may solve the problem but before taking the plunge to 3.4 I’d like specific confirmation from users/members here.

I’ve searched and read a lot of threads (been lurking without an account for awhile) looking for an answer to this, but have been unsuccessful in finding specific confirmation that the latest 3.4 version, especially after upgrading from 3.0 20204, fixes this problem.

Here’s another official statement from Google saying Ford was preparing to release a fix for 3.1 and 3.2, but no mention of 3.0: No Sound for Incoming Phone Calls: Pixel 2 on Ford Sync 3 - Android Auto Community

I’m sure someone will chime in and say yes or no soon, unfortunately i don’t have SYNC 3 any more so am unable to test my self.

1 Like

What you describe here is actually a fault in the operation of Bluetooth and is manifested as a Sync issue. It used to be, and can still be with low end devices, that you could connect to all kinds of devices and use them simultaneously, despite the conflicting devices trying to seize control from each other. That was settled in more recent implementations of BT, where the host device cannot “connect” to another “like” device, even though paired, because it would cause a conflict between the 2 devices for exclusive control. In this case, BT is using an audio connection for the earbuds, and to connect to Sync for phone use, would also use an audio connection. Since both of these devices are using a BT audio profile, there is a conflict about exclusive control, therefore Sync cannot make the connection. If the earbuds have an exclusivity setting, you could turn that off, but this may cause other issues in itself. Sync does not use exclusive control over BT. The solution here, of course, is not to use the earbuds while driving. (I don’t think you are, but maybe remove them when you leave the gym…)

1 Like

I think that’s been solved in the latest builds…
Again, wait for confirmation, but I think that should be solved already.

2 Likes

Thanks for the explanation and your reply. I’ve had this problem with a Nexus 5, Pixel 2XL, Pixel 5 (with several different Android versions) and now a Pixel 6 running Android 12, which presumably has all the latest BT stuff.

Yeah, I don’t drive with the earbuds in, but force of habit has me starting the car before I put the earbuds back in the charging case and the old connection has stopped (I start the car before disconnecting earbuds because I want the A/C or heater staring ASAP! Charging case kept in a center console safe which takes a minute or two to enter combo and get into.). Has happened with 2 different brands of high-end BT earbuds, neither of which has an exclusivity setting. I think I should mention that I live part of the year where the temp regularly exceeds 120F, so starting the A/C is the only thing on my mind when I enter a car that’s probably 150F inside!

Never had this problem with an old Pioneer double din deck in my old truck, also know that it’s not a problem with Sync4.

Frustrating as heck, exacerbated by a complete lack of information/transparency from Ford on official Sync releases.

I’m sorry I keep posting on this thread…after spending time with Ford support (“we don’t have any timelines on Sync or whether your issue will be fixed”) I’m that much closer to going to 3.4, as I suspect Ford has abandoned development on 3.0. Before upgrading, I just want to make sure there won’t be any memory issues if I install 3.4.21265 with Gracenotes, Voice and Apps (NA Version).

BTW…I installed Syn3Updater on a Win11 laptop and it’s working fine. I believe documentation only references Win10.

Here’s my APIM info from Interrogator:

APIM Model: JS7T-14G371-BDC
APIM Type: Non-Navigation
APIM Size: 8GB
APIM Free Space: 3.6G

Partition Type = Free / Total
/fs/usb0/ = 29G / 29G
/fs/tmpfs/ = 127M / 128M
/fs/Nuance/ = 13M / 475M
/fs/rwdata/ = 634M / 1024M
/fs/mp/ = 40M / 1024M
/fs/images/ = 3.6G / 4.2G

Installed Packages
JR3T-14G391-CD

APIM AsBuilt
DE00: AA2A01030000A9000480
DE01: 55530103C402428000000005
DE02: 0000010100
DE03: 010014000E0001
DE04: 1A681A6838A4
DE05: 40
DE06: 44003300000000029A000056568800C8

1 Like

Documentation only references windows 10 because windows 11 wasn’t a thing at the time. Windows 11 works fine also

You should not have any issues with the installation of Sync 3.4.21265 with Gracenotes, Voice and Apps (NA Version) on your unit using the reformat method. Just follow the instructions and prompts in the app.

1 Like