Ford Explorer-6 Black Screen

Hi everyone
I was downgrading my SYNC 3.4.22200 in order to update it later with adding some new maps.
Unfortunately i missed the fact that vehicle region in app settings was set to Europe, instead of US (my car was imported from US)
After rather long (almost 25 min) installation of downgrade version there were a message about restarting, but screen never came back alive.
OBDM scan showed an B108E error.

Is there a way to get it back to live, or am i completely screwed?

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: MY20

Install Type: Unknown

Old SYNC Version: 3.4.22200

New SYNC Version: 3.4.22200

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?
B108E (On OBDM)

Update Method: CyanLabs Syn3 Updater

Syn3 Updater Version: 2.12.2.0

Syn3 Updater Documentation Read: yes

Syn3 Updater Log File

https://cyanlabs.net/fhub/sync3/syn3-updater-log/?uuid=1ee6b231-0d31-648e-9a33-0242ac120009

Hello.

Why were you forcing a downgrade exactly?.
If your unit is MY20 you should not be forcing anything, enable MY20 protection and let Syn3updater offer you what’s safe for your unit.

Having said that, the provided log does not show a potential issue since it’s an autoinstall for 3.3, which should be safe. But it should not take 30 minutes as you mentioned.

B108E speaks about an electrical failure, which also can include issues with the screen. I’ve noticed that the USB you used is generic and does not even have size declared (that could explain the 30 minutes, but unlikely).

So, is the unit operative besides the black screen?, does audio play from the unit?, do the usb ports work?. Is the unit visible in FORSCAN?.

If it’s visible in forscan, check these values: DE02/7D0-03-01: xxxx-**xx-xxxx

1 Like

Where should i look for this DE02/7D0-03-01. Haven’t been able to find it.

I’m not sure if m unit is MY20. Where should i look for that?

Error on OBDM is B108E(4A) in APIM module

Radio is working (as well as other car’s basic functions), but screen seems to be completely dead. No sounds on touch, no Ford logo. Don’t know about usb port itself (is there a way to check it), but lights around it works. Also car is trying to connect to my phone via Bluetooth.

FORSCAN sees the car and the module that shows B108E error.

PS. I can’t say that i’m familiar with all this stuff so i might say something stupid.

PPS. I was downgrading to update to newer version as it was said so in the tutorial i followed.

First off you must use a large enough USB drive properly formatted.
With that said, have you tried creating another USB file and putting it in your port and turn the vehicle on?
This setup with “install mode” set to “reformat” and "MY20 Protection set to “Auto Install” always works for me if I have an issue. And make sure you don’t prematurely reboot or shut the vehicle off until it is fully complete.
See Photo:

1 Like

I have to try that.

Only one question: how do i set an install mode to “reformat” and keep MY20 protection to “Auto-Detect”? Because when MY20 set to “auto-detect” i can’t manually change install mode reformat

In forscan, you need forscan and an adapter. It’s an asbuilt value for the APIM’s configuration.

Well, you should had have that clear BEFORE starting. Both your profile and syn3updater configuration states your car is from 2020, which is MY20. If so, reformatting it will KILL the unit. If your unit is not from 2020 (or onwards) you need to run the interrogator log against the unit to see which APIM model you have, or you can enter bezel diagnostics on the car to see that.

Seems the unit is operational but not displaying anything, which is a good sign.

And what tutorial is that?. Because if you forced a downgrade is because you were going to try reformatting your (likely) MY20 unit, thus bricking it.

Hey there, that’s a bad recommendation for someone with a (likely) 2020 model as the OP.
A reformat on a 2020 would kill the unit for good. Your recommendation works for you because you have a 2019 model which can be reformatted.

Don’t do that unless you are 100% sure your unit is not MY20.

What you can try is creating and interrogator log and trying to run it on the unit. If the unit is operational it should work, just make sure to configure 3.3 as your current build (since we need to assume the downgrade worked). Wait 10-15 minutes and remove the unit, check for the XML file on the device.

1 Like

Successfully ran an interrogator log.

Sync_WYAH44GN_1FMSK7FH4LGB33022.xml (10.9 KB)

Where do i find an info about my unit?

PS. Sorry for asking stupid questions and thanks a lot for helping!

2020 model = 2020 APIM. There is nothing you can do but buy a new APIM or get Ford to fix it. Cyanlabs and Forscan cannot fix it.

I know that sounds blunt but there is no other way. Also this is a White Explorer that was wrecked right? The build sheet shows an L series APIM which is a 2020 APIM.

1 Like

Yea, it was imported after crash. And… there is no official Ford repair shops in my country(

Welp, anyway, thanks a lot everyone for helping me understand what was going on!

If the unit produced an interrogator file, check what’s the current version ( I assume it’s 3.3 ).
If so, create an upgrade package just for the apps package (no nav) to the latest 3.4 build and see what happens.
I can’t review the file now since I’m not on a computer, but that’s the last thing I would try: reverting the version to the latest 3.4.
If that fails, remember to check the theme as previously instructed.

1 Like

I thought I read where the OP thought he thought he did not have a 2020 model (MY20) unit.
With that said I use the same USB Sync formatted stick for my 2020 as well. It’s never bricked my unit, I’m assuming because of my “MY20 protection” set to “Auto Install”. If it detects it’s a MY20 unit, it will not reformat.

You are mistaken.

First of all, you do not have a MY20 unit: your profile says you have a 2019 car, plus the fact you can reformat the unit also tells us you do not have MY20.

Secondly, the MY20 protection setting “auto” is “auto-detect”, which will try to identify the unit before creating an USB. It will not reformat it otherwhise. Your setting works because in auto-detect it detected a non-my20 apim thus giving you the option to reformat it.

Thirdly, again, it’s impossible to reformat a my20 model with the tools we have at hand. The leaked reformat tool lacks the required information to handle MY20 models, it’s just not possible.

Maybe the OP was not clear enough (maybe because a language barrier), but both his profile and Syn3updater configuration points towards a MY20 unit. That’s why I brought it up, because to me there was real evidence he had a MY20 unit.

EDIT

@mrfrederic I’ve reviewed your log, it’s fine. You are on 3.3, so downgrading worked and the unit is operational (thus providing a log). Try as I told you before:

Set 3.3.19052 as your current version and make sure to only select the apps package, not anything else. Also, make sure you have MY20 protection active in syn3updater. And when you can, check the theme asbuilt value I’ve asked before, since I cannot read your log for that setting.