Ford Logo then backlit black screen after Master Reset

Earlier this week, I was experiencing an issue where I would pair my phone via bluetooth to Sync and everything would work fine until the next time I drove my truck. When I would get back in my truck, I would have to pair my phone again. This went on for a few days, so I attempted a soft reset. The soft reset did not work, so I performed a Master Reset.

The Master Reset began normally and seemed to be proceeding normally until the Ford logo boot screen came up, lingered for longer than normal, then the screen went black (with backlighting). I tried performing a soft reset, but that did not work. I have tried pulling the fuses for the ACM and the APIM as well as disconnecting the truck’s battery for an extended period of time. Nothing so far has worked.

The volume control knob, both USB ports, Android Auto (can connect phone and hear the audio from my phone through the speakers along with the Android Auto is running notification on my phone), and climate control buttons all still work. I’m hoping that this means that the APIM is still alive, but glitching.

I have ordered a OBDLink EX USB adapter from Amazon that is arriving 12/15/2023 and have started my free trial of Forscan so it is ready to go when the adapter arrives.

As far as I know, the APIM is original, and I am the original and only owner. The truck did go to the dealer for replacement USB ports in October of 2019, but other than that, all Sync related problems have been solved with a soft or successful Master Reset.

This is the first time that a Master Reset has hung up like this on my truck and I want to make sure that I am not missing anything and that I don’t do anything that isn’t reversible before trying to throw parts at this. I have read the documentation on here as well as other forum posts for similar issues, but most either have miraculously fixed themselves or have resulted in APIM replacement due to user error/MY20+ warnings going unheeded.

I ran the interrogator and this is what it spit out:

Version 5U5T-14G381-ES
APIM Model: KU5T-14G371-CDG
APIM Type: Navigation
APIM Size: 32GB
APIM Free Space: 4.1G
12/14/2023 8:41:34 PM +00:00

Partition Type = Free / Total
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 12M / 1.4G
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 12M / 1.4G
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 13M / 1.4G
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 10M / 1.4G
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 2.8M / 937M
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 8.5M / 1.3G
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 14M / 1.7G
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 17M / 1.7G
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 7.2M / 1.4G
/fs/Nuance/ = 99M / 1.8G
/fs/Nuance/ = 64M / 1.2G
/fs/Nuance/ = 25M / 2.6G
/fs/Nuance/ = 3.0M / 465M
/fs/Nuance/grace = 5.8M / 775M
/fs/rwdata/ = 71M / 1.2G
/fs/rwdata/quip/ = 35M / 35M
/fs/rwdata/quip/ = 90M / 90M
/fs/mp/ = 133M / 1.4G
/fs/images/ = 4.1G / 25G

Installed Packages
4U5T-14G423-CC
4U5T-14G421-CAD
4U5T-14G421-CBD
4U5T-14G421-CCD
4U5T-14G421-CDD
4U5T-14G421-CED
4U5T-14G421-CFD
4U5T-14G421-CGD
4U5T-14G421-CHD
4U5T-14G421-CJD
4U5T-14G422-CAH
4U5T-14G422-CBA
4U5T-14G422-CCA
5U5T-14G391-CN
4U5T-14G424-CD

APIM AsBuilt
DE00: 2A2A0002000228000088
DE01: 55530103C002081000044905
DE02: 0000000300
DE03: 000034800D0002
DE04: 17FE17FE3185
DE05: 80
DE06: 1B013300000000167600005656880081

Thank you in advance for your help!

SYNC Region: NA

Navigation Variant: Nav

Manufacturer Year: Pre MY20

Install Type: OEM

Old SYNC Version: 3.4.21098

New SYNC Version: 3.4.21098

Do you have a error message, if so what is it?

Update Method: Official Ford

I am curious how you got the AB info for the APIM if you don’t have your OBDLink EX yet to use with Forscan? I could be wrong but I don’t think the Interrogator provides this.

Also is that the full AB info? You should have quite a few more lines than that.

I think this is a clue, i think you’re out of cache space. I’m sure someone more knowledgeable will advise.

/fs/rwdata/ = 71M / 1.2G
/fs/rwdata/quip/ = 35M / 35M
/fs/rwdata/quip/ = 90M / 90M

This is a screenshot of Syn3 Updater from the Interrogator Utility. This is where I got all of the information.

I also have the full as built information that I got from Ford saved to my pc, I’m just not sure what to do yet.

This is unusual.
Does your car have a rear backup camera?. If so, I’m sure it works, right?.

If a master rest, soft reset, module reset (from forscan) or removing the fuse over a few hours fix the issue, then please post your asbuilt once you get the adapter.

I would like to know what theme is the unit on…

Sync_VY2M0AA4_ChrisRoberts.xml.txt (11.3 KB)
This is the full file from the Interrogator. I am still waiting for the adapter to come in, but will have to wait until I get home to use my laptop so I can use it (around 3:30 pm EST).

I opened the .xml file and deleted my VIN number per Cyan Lab guidelines and left a note in there about the change. I saved the file as a .txt as .xml was not an option for saving the modified file.

Yes, I have a rear backup camera and it is still working when I shift into reverse. The only thing that is missing is the proximity indicator that is overlayed over the reverse image that has the color-coded “waves” that change as you get close to objects when backing up. The reverse sensors still work and the proximity beeper still works as I back up close to objects, it just doesn’t show the indicator on the screen.

The theme is whatever it came with from the factory. Without having seen the various options myself, I would guess that it is Ford Classic, as this is the theme most forum members go back to when they run into an issue. I haven’t done any monkeying around with anything yet, I have only run the interrogator utility.

Thank you!

Thanks.

Once you get the adapter, please check these specific values:

7D0-01-02: *xxx xxxx xxxx
7D0-03-01: xxxx-**xx-xxxx

About the provided interrogator log, you have a mixture of NAV_VOICE files. We can fix that later.

From the Ford AsBuilt info from www.motorcraftservice.com/asbuilt :
7D0-01-02 0228 0000 888C
7D0-03-01 0000 0003 00DE

Once I get home with the OBDLink EX adapter, I will verify the information in Forscan.

Thanks!

ChrisRoberts_APIM_20231215_164818.abt (495 Bytes)
Here is the APIM .ab file from Forscan.

The adapter arrived and I did the following in Forscan:
APIM passed on-demand self-test.
FCIM passed on-demand self-test.
ACM passed on-demand self-test.
APIM forced reset.

None of these worked to get the system working again, so I decided to attempt a software update to 3.4.23188 with Syn3 Updater. After about half an hour of waiting, the screen turned off and the splash screen displayed. Shortly after that, the system finally loaded and went back to working.

The update took another 20 minutes or so to finalize before the system was usable (laggy while the update was still in progress it the background).

I will note that when the bluetooth issue showed itself again after the update and then I was unable to delete my phone as a bluetooth device from Sync for some reason. It would delete, but a “device” would still show up in the bluetooth menu as if it was still partially lingering there. After playing around with it for a while and getting another update package (4U5T-14G422-CAM) via wifi, the bluetooth issue has gone away and everything is now working like it should.

Thank you everyone for your input and your time with this issue. I hope this information is helpful to someone else in the future!

Happy Holidays!

1 Like

Apologies for the delayed response.

About the file you provided with the asbuilt values, unless I’m reading them wrong, they are ok. You had set the proper theme, so that would not explain a black screen. So something else was at play.

You went to the next recommendation I would had given you: trying installing a different Syn3 version. So thank you for providing the feedback it worked on your case.

One thing to mention is that you had some free space on the rwdata partition according to the interrogator log you provided, so that should not cause issues with settings not being saved or stuff like that. The unit wasn’t running any of the version where this bug appeared. But on the other hand, the build you installed solves the rwdata partition issue, and eventually your issue was solved… so it’s hard to say what’s been going on… I would keep an eye on the unit, even though it’s working fine now…

About the updates you mentioned, re-run the interrogator log because you had a mixture of voice_nav files…

You had these:
4U5T-14G422-CAH
4U5T-14G422-CBA
4U5T-14G422-CCA

The last 2 are older, the need to end with an H. But you said you received 4U5T-14G422-CAM, which is also a VOICE_NAV package, newer. So all those files should end with an M.

So I would double check that.

This topic was automatically closed 2 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

/fs/rwdata/ = 71M / 1.2G

Ther’s the problem, fixed by the installation of 3.4.23188 with the rwdata cleaner.