Help black screen of Death 3.4

Question: is the unit still under warranty? You mentioned it was changed about a year ago, that’s why I’m asking…

Nope, called them yesterday unit is 14 month old

Is it the screen that’s gone or the apim unit

The APIM is not booting because the video drivers are now bad. It could be possible to rescue the unit, no guarantees.

Sync 3.4 Black Screen

NOTE: This procedure is not guaranteed to work, and you are responsible for your actions. This is posted for information only.

MY20+ APIM may exhibit a black screen if the reformat tool is used. This is because the screen drivers are not supported by the reformat tool above. Depending on the eMMC version, there are two methods to correct this issue.

A) APIM is a MY20+ with an ‘old eMMC’ type.
B) APIM is a MY20+ with a ‘new eMMC’ type.

Solution for case A) Plug the APIM to an old screen and complete the reformat.

1. Change the screen to an older one, force reset the APIM with FORScan and power cycle the APIM.
  2. Fix the install and update as usual, then…
  3. Optionally, change back to MY20 screen and force reset the APIM with FORScan and power cycle again to make it work.

Solution for case B) You need to flash a working eMMC dump using an eMMC reader.

1 Like

Actually there are 2 issues afaik

1. The newer screen requires new drivers which the reformat tool does not have

2. The emmc flash chip on newer APIMs is not supported by the reformat tool

In this case I believe it’s the latter so unlikely to be fixable

1 Like

This could be an option for solution B using the eMMC dump. Where would i get the flash bud?

1 Like

Can I not reflash this back with old software

There are resources available in the UK. We do not deal with that here.

Only via eMMC flash.

Take the APIM apart and send me pictures of both boards, if it’s a pre MY20 board it might be flashable

Will do, ive emailed Ford customer care and see i can push for a replacement as its only 14month old.

Hello Simon.
I was wondering how your case was doing.
Did you receive any positive feedback from Customer Care?.

1 Like

Still in the process with them now, but takes them ages as had to escalate to customer care

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

In regards to the emails you sent, please provide pictures of the internals of the APIM as requested 1 month ago. until then i can not help.

J series, Manufacture Date December 2020!!! :open_mouth:

Added bud

Definitely a service replacement APIM with new eMMC.

@simon_rogers want to sell me the APIM? will be useful for testing.