Need help with a failed update

What is your SYNC Region? NA

What is your current SYNC Version? Not exactly sure the build number but it is Sync 3.0

Do you have Navigation? Yes

Do you have a error message, if so what is it? No

Please paste your log output or provide the URL to your log file below

Please describe in detail your issue below

I tried to update my Sync 3.0 system via wifi on a long trip yesterday. From what I can tell, it got about a quarter of the way thru the download and then stopped. I shrugged it off and didn’t worry about it. This morning my system had a black, unresponsive screen. The radio played FM, but there was no UI. Android Auto launched in to maps, but again no touch is working. I tried to restart with the power button and skip button and that loaded a screen that only had my nav map on the left side of the screen.

I did once use Forscan to change the theme of the system, but I didn’t think that would make a difference.

Could I use Syn3 to just reformat/reflash? I don’t know what exact build I have, but I know it is 3.0.

This is quite strange.

If you ask me, there’s a chance something else is happening… I mean, if it stopped while downloading, it shouldn’t had modified anything on your system… But OTA updates are known to be buggy…

Since it seems your unit is still responsive, you can try updating it to 3.4 to see if that solves the issue.

You say you had 3.0, so it’s not a MY20.
Has the screen been replaced on your model?
If not and we are talking about old hardware, you are safe to use the tool to try recovering the unit.

Just make sure to put 3.0.0000 as your current version and have navigation ticked.

Then, follow the tutorial.

It’s the original system. I bought it with 2.x and updated it to 3.0 and have done one or two build updates since. The only “mods” are the forscan tweaks to change the splash screen and theme.

This may be the issue, can you revert it back?.
Sorry, I overlooked your original post mentioning it.

If I recall correctly, there may be a chance that a theme is not longer supported, and since the system is configured with that theme, then there’s the problem.

Again, I’m just bringing this from memory, so I may be wrong. I don’t even recall in which version this could happen.

But it does not harm anyone to try reverting it back with Forscan and see what happens.

Considering that I’d rather be stock on 3.4 is there harm in just reformating and doing the upgrade? Wouldn’t that rewrite the changes? Thanks for the help!

Oh, I thought you wanted to stay at 3.0 if possible.
Yes, I think it should revert it back.
I remember reading that if after updating some feature or customization is lost, they can always be brought back with Froscan, indicating the changes are lost after upgrading.

Also, do you know the target version it was trying to install when it died?.
You can create an interrogator USB to see what’s on the APIM.

I don’t remember which version it was.

Trying the interrogator now…

Version: JR3T-14G381-AS
APIM Model: GJ5T-14G371-CFC
APIM Type: Navigation
APIM Size: 32GB
APIM Free Space: 6.8G
4/1/2021 10:45:30 AM +00:00

Partition Type = Free / Total
/fs/usb0/ = 29G / 29G
/fs/tmpfs/ = 124M / 128M
/fs/sd/MAP/ = 635M / 12G
/fs/Nuance/ = 230M / 4.6G
/fs/Nuance/ = 2.5M / 482M
/fs/Nuance/grace = 5.1M / 1.0G
/fs/rwdata/ = 637M / 1024M
/fs/mp/ = 40M / 1024M
/fs/images/ = 6.8G / 26G

APIM AsBuilt
DE00: AA2A050324028B02048A
DE01: 55530D03F402028000000000
DE02: 0000040300
DE03: 01000000000008
DE04: 1A681A683D54
DE05: 80
DE06: 47003300000000029A000056569400C8

Hi again.

I’ve consulted with people that know more than me, and it seems that modifications made via Forscan would not be reverted, since they reside outside Sync scope, lets say.

So, what I would suggest is for you to revert that change you made to stock, and then upgrade to 3.4 if you want to, since there’s no guarantee that upgrading to 3.4 would solve the issue. Again, I’m assuming that for some reason the failed update changed something and now maybe the value you configured for the theme is no longer recognized…

Which theme did you had configured?.

1 Like

7D0-02-01 xxxx **xx xxxx
Boot Screen Animations Sync Versions 3.0 thru 3.3 (Splash Screens)
0D=GT Ford Performance
Does not work in 3.4!

Change to ‘01’.

Well crap. I decided to try upgrading to 3.4 during my lunch break. I’m 22 mins in. Too late now I guess.

Would I be able to down grade back to 3.0 and redo?

It’s been 3+ years since I did the forscan stuff so I was trying to avoid dusting that off.

Unfortunately, if you are already in the reformat process there is no way to revert back to 3.0 currently. You will have to wait for the process to complete to go to 3.4.

Too late, sorry.

I think you’ll like 3.4 better…

Oh, I want to be on 3.4, I’m just worried now that those forscan tweaks will screw it up.

This is correct, usually not, unless there is an issue with the update or APIM. I’ve had to fix some of those, but usually has to do with modifications previously done to the units.

When you manage to get into the system the first time after the reformat, make sure you do a master reset. This should clear up any setting misconfiguration.

1 Like

OK. Looks like the update worked. I get the usb hub not supported error, but it doesn’t seem to affect my android auto set up.

The hub error is just cosmetics i believe, you will be able to use the ports as usual.
But if you want to get rid of that, you would need to replace the hub with a newer one.

The hub will work for AA, but you will get the nag on startup…the new ones are about $55.00 US. Don’t bother with the USB-C models. You get the connection but not the quick charge.

HC3Z-19A387-E is the current replacement for F-150’s. Be careful about buying these from other than the dealers or Tasca, etc. EBay has a flood of cheap knock offs.